Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

Controlling VAS

Two consecutive flights, one an hour long, one two hours long. Both with a bit of bad weather (ASN) and both in the NGX. Departure and arrival airports are add on, using FTX Global and Vector and custom mesh.

Both flights ended with FSUIPC warning bell for low VAS. ONLY ADD-ON I was running was ASN.

My question: which settings can I reduce/adjust to best help improve my VAS. I have disabled the secondary roads in Vector. I have zero tweaks in the .cfg including no AF. Most settings are on high but I have a decent system - i7 6700K, new GTX980 Ti and 16 GB DDR4-3000 RAM, SSD's etc. I did have 4xSGSS AA active in NI for one of these flights but not the other.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

The setting that you have to keep under control is the level of detail radius. Do not go higher than high.

Also, if there are any other nearby add-on airports, they may also be loaded.  I was flying at FL350 over D's NYC and started getting VAS warnings.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

The setting that you have to keep under control is the level of detail radius. Do not go higher than high.

Thanks for this - I am running that slider on max, will wind it down.

Does autogen buildings and vegetation have a significant impact as I have been running this at max also? My system handles it all from a FPS point of view, just the VAS "wall" I seem to be hitting way sooner than I am used to under FSX.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Thanks for this - I am running that slider on max, will wind it down.

Does autogen buildings and vegetation have a significant impact as I have been running this at max also? My system handles it all from a FPS point of view, just the VAS "wall" I seem to be hitting way sooner than I am used to under FSX.

The reason why you are hitting the wall sooner is because the default LOD radius is higher. So when you set it to max it is infinately more memory hungry than FSX.

As for Autogen, as long as you don't run any other add-ons, you should be able to keep it at max. Although just to be safe, turning it down a notch will certainly not hurt.

The reason why you are hitting the wall sooner is because the default LOD radius is higher. So when you set it to max it is infinately more memory hungry than FSX.

As for Autogen, as long as you don't run any other add-ons, you should be able to keep it at max. Although just to be safe, turning it down a notch will certainly not hurt.

Yes, High in  P3D corresponds to the maximum setting available in FSX via the GUI. Both result in a LOD radius of 4.5. Highest and Ultra in P3D correspond to 5.5 and 6.5 - those values were never recommended in FSX due to VAS issues.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP