This may have been covered many times in the past but my question I hope is more specific.

I have just got a Saitek Cessna Yoke (plus multi panel) which I intend to use with both FSX and x-plane. i came across a post somewhere (but now can't find it) that explained the "issues" of getting used to using a yoke compared to a joystick and wondered if anyone could shed some light.

Also, anyone offer suggestions on how to they have configured the yoke (buttons etc.) for both FSX and x-plane. It has so many button options I'm not sure where to start.

I haven't installed any of the Saitek software as this seems to be the recommended course of action.

Thanks

Chris

Plane 11.53 (64 Bit) MSFS 2020
ASUSTeK PRIME H310M-E2.0
Intel Core i5 9400F @ 2.90Ghz
16 GBytes DDR4 DRAM Latency 1200.8 MHz
Radeon RX 570 Series 8 GBytes GDDR5

Hi Chris,

This is very strange, but I thought I posted a very detailed response to,your problem. However it is nowhere to be found and I am not sure how it became deleted or if it posted at all. Since, it is not here now, I suspect it never got posted.

Anyway, sorry to tell you I am on vacation and simply too tired now (near midnight where I am as of this writing) so I will not be able to help for a while. But, in the meantime, I suggest you look at control configuration options within FSX.if you want more sophisticated options, you will need the registered version of FSUIPC. FWIW, I have used both, and the FSX control options are fine for most general,scenarios. I cannot advise on Xplane because I do not use it.

Also, let me add that once set up, you will love the yoke. I alsomsugg st you get rudder pedals if that is within your budget. The basic CH. brand works fine with Saitek yoke and throttles. Good luck and if you do not get more specific help, I will offer what I can later.

Sherm

This may have been covered many times in the past but my question I hope is more specific.

I have just got a Saitek Cessna Yoke (plus multi panel) which I intend to use with both FSX and x-plane. i came across a post somewhere (but now can't find it) that explained the "issues" of getting used to using a yoke compared to a joystick and wondered if anyone could shed some light.

Also, anyone offer suggestions on how to they have configured the yoke (buttons etc.) for both FSX and x-plane. It has so many button options I'm not sure where to start.

I haven't installed any of the Saitek software as this seems to be the recommended course of action.

Thanks

Chris

- One possible issue for using a yoke as compared to a joystick depends on whether or not you were previously using a joystick with a 'twist' function to allow you to control the rudder.  If so, this isn't something that you can replicate with a yoke.  Rudder pedals are highly recommended regardless, but perhaps a bit more necessary with a yoke.

- There's really no right or wrong way to configure a yoke's button assignments for either FSX or X-Plane. The view controls are of course handy to have on the yoke, but so are the elevator and aileron trim controls, as well as the autopilot disconnect button.

- I never liked, nor used for long, the Saitek software.  If you've previously assigned buttons to a joystick, assigning buttons to the yoke will be exactly the same.

- I never used the 'mode' buttons in order to create more assignments - I like having one button for one action. Having a single button do more than one thing depending on what the 'mode' switch is set to simply creates confusion, in my opinion.

Hope that helps a bit!  Yokes are quite awesome, but I warn you, a bit addictive. The Saitek yoke is fine, right up until you decide you want something more precise, at which point the cost skyrockets....

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

OK, Chris,

Here is how I have assigned yoke functions

Left top button: push to talk mike for MP

Left toggle up and down for trim setting

Right top button: view linked to keyboard S

Right up and down toggle: incremental flaps up and down

Right side to side toggle: landing gear keyboard G ( either left or right can be used for up and down gear, leaving the other toggle a function of your choice)

Control box

Black lever: throttle. I have the standard three stick box and use throttle for all engines in multi engine aircraft. Obviously, for separate twin control you could use any two combos, black and blue being most convenient if you choose

Blue lever: prop control (all engines)

Red lever: mixture again, all engines

Top left toggle: engine auto start

Top middle: ATC window

Top right VC linked to F9

Bottom left toggle: parking brakes

Bottom middle: Avionics

Bottom right: 2 D cockpit panel linked to F10

This may be to simple for anything sophisticated, but it works for me

Sherm

Me again,

This is a very good guide for setting up,FSUIPC control,links. As the author points out, it is written for a CH. yoke and throttle, but the rules also apply to the Saitek hardware.

http://www.fsrijnmond.nl/PDF%20bestanden/FSUIPC%204.45%20EN%20+TUTORIAL.pdf

Sherm