Sign in to follow this  
WarpD

My dad helped make these...

Hi Ed,

There is a large contingent at a base near me (KSWF) - it's so strange watching them takeoff - it "looks" like they are going about 40 MPH when they rotate - impossibly slow... It was during an airshow so it was probably light... I've been inside and they are MASSIVE...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I also see them quite often at NAVSTA Rota (LERT).Together with the V-22 Osprey's, man are those things ugly, haha,

Sometimes the C-5 has even eaten a V-22 (or is it a V-22??)!

1410336683419187345.jpg

I'm curious: what did your dad do, specifically?

For those who don't know: Naval Station Rota is a strategic american base, halfway from the US to the Middle East and in European (aka Friendly) territory. America loves planting their little seeds all over the world;)

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

These things fly out of San Antonio almost daily. you're right, Scott, they look incredibly slow. They are something to see.

Bill W

Ole FRED.  Thankfully I never had to work on her.  Quite a low Mission Capable Rate--successful takeoff and mission completion--compared to all other aircraft in the inventory--something like 50%.  Always requiring maintenance, especially the hydraulic systems--which I specialized in.  In the picture above, to load the C-5 from the front like that, the whole front Nose Landing Gear has to fold backwards; it's called kneeling.  I believe the main landing gear also squats lower for this.  From what colleagues told me who worked on them, pretty much anytime you performed a kneel operation, something in that system would break.  Pretty much anytime a takeoff is planned, they are expecting the aircraft to break in some way.

I too can attest that they do not even look like they are flying when they takeoff or are landing.  The damn things just look like they are floating!  And they are indeed frequent visitors to Rota.  I can attest that Rota, Spain is a very nice place!  :wink:

Fun fact 1:

The C-5 has long trenches/troughs in the cargo compartment beneath the areas where there are are lots of hydraulic lines and valves.  This is to catch all the leaking hydraulic fluid!  All aircraft have some leakage, but FRED is truly #1 in that department.

Fun fact 2:

There is a small circular pressure door in the upper passenger compartment which is about mid position of the aircraft.  There are no latches on this pressure door or anything.  During flight the cabin pressurization keeps it shut.  On the ground, to get up into the tail to work on anything, you just open it up and slither through.  Then you realize you are in a massive cave that is the lower Empennage, complete with broken lights and a small plank to walk to the back to reach the ladder.  Then you climb the 3 stories up the ladder to come out on top of the vertical and horizontal stabilizer.  It is insane how high up the tail is; it feels like you are on a very tall building.  But then you look around and your higher then all the buildings around you.

Oh yes, what systems did your dad help to make?  Engineer or fabrication/assembly?

• Upvote 1

- Nick

Like flight sim videos? Do me a favor and take a quick survey: http://www.avsim.com/topic/488157-flight-sim-video-survey/#entry3416965

Like fighter jets/planes? Do me a favor and take a quick survey: http://www.avsim.com/topic/488215-what-fighter-jetsplanes-do-you-enjoy-watching-in-fs-videos/#entry3417428

He built the escape hatch that is on the left side of the aircraft just aft of the cockpit.

• Upvote 1

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

He built the escape hatch that is on the left side of the aircraft just aft of the cockpit.

Nice.  And did he ever get to test it himself?  :Big Grin:

Everyone knows what FRED stands for?  :Smug:

- Nick

Like flight sim videos? Do me a favor and take a quick survey: http://www.avsim.com/topic/488157-flight-sim-video-survey/#entry3416965

Like fighter jets/planes? Do me a favor and take a quick survey: http://www.avsim.com/topic/488215-what-fighter-jetsplanes-do-you-enjoy-watching-in-fs-videos/#entry3417428