Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

ORBX Australia

I would like to purchase FTX stand-alone region Australia and my question is whether I'm required to have FTX Global and FTX Vector to run stand-alone region. I use UTX for NA and Europe and very reluctant to switch to FTX Global Products.

Also, how good/bad FTX regions on VAS usage?

Thank you!

I never gave it much thought at the time when I purchased ORBX scenery.  I believe my first purchase was Pilot's FS Global Mesh and Australia, which appeared to run just fine as a standalone product. I bought FTX Global after that, and again, I'm not sure why it is stated that Global is necessary as I didn't find any issue at the time.  Since AUS SP4 is a region, all of the airports I have for it are seamless.  Incorporating Vector is not necessary, and I still have yet to figure out what it really does differently or what it changes but I have vector installed as well.

I don't monitor VAS, but as far as performance goes, it is good and stable.  If you incorporate the likes of FlyTampa's Sydney (which I have), then there is a performance hit, and you would need to adjust the settings in FlyTampa's config.  Otherwise, I have most of the ORBX Australia airports now, and all of them work fine and as for performance, it can vary, depending on the size of the airport (ex. YBCS performs well while YMML is a little jittery).

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I would like to purchase FTX stand-alone region Australia and my question is whether I'm required to have FTX Global and FTX Vector to run stand-alone region. I use UTX for NA and Europe and very reluctant to switch to FTX Global Products.

Also, how good/bad FTX regions on VAS usage?

Thank you!

No you don't need any other product of you buy the regions

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ok, thanks.

I have YSSY already and thinking to buy YMML and YBBN as well since they're both now v3.2 compatible. Thus, I need a good terrain/landclass product similar to UTX.

What Ryan Said ^^ 

Regions are Full Fat  (everything included for a stand alone scenery) 

To the OP, for further, comprehensive info about how it all comes together, go here:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74345-the-definitive-guide-to-ftx-products-the-go-to-source-of-ftx-information/

There is a very valuable guide within the first post that shows you all about it.  

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I'm not sure why it is stated that Global is necessary as I didn't find any issue at the time

It is not... 

Both not needed and also not stated anywhere...

It is not... 

Both not needed and also not stated anywhere...

You may want to check ORBX's website.  Also, page 24 of the guide published by ORBX has something to say about it. :)

I recently bought FTX Australia and think it's well worth the money. I can run it with nearly maxed out settings with my i7-4770k @ 3,6 ghz and a GTX 770 2GB using ASN, REX4 and the A2A C182. With jets, I'd probably have to go down a notch or two with settings, especially in urban areas. No VAS problems here with FSX:SE, so probably even less so with P3D.

One other thing: I'd recommend you don't buy YBBN now. Try the freeware by Ant's Airplanes first (no idea whether it works in P3D though). ORBX's YBBN is very badly optimized and is giving me way worse frames than Heathrow or any other addon airport I have. I regret having pruchased it.

I recently bought FTX Australia and think it's well worth the money. I can run it with nearly maxed out settings with my i7-4770k @ 3,6 ghz and a GTX 770 2GB using ASN, REX4 and the A2A C182. With jets, I'd probably have to go down a notch or two with settings, especially in urban areas. No VAS problems here with FSX:SE, so probably even less so with P3D.

One other thing: I'd recommend you don't buy YBBN now. Try the freeware by Ant's Airplanes first (no idea whether it works in P3D though). ORBX's YBBN is very badly optimized and is giving me way worse frames than Heathrow or any other addon airport I have. I regret having pruchased it.

It has been stated recently that a new version of YMML will be released this year, updating it, refining it.  YBBN will also be done, but no ETA as of yet.  Keep in mind that they will offer the new version of YMML at a discounted rate (about $10) for one month and I suspect they may do the same with YBBN. :)

It has been stated recently that a new version of YMML will be released this year, updating it, refining it.  YBBN will also be done, but no ETA as of yet.  Keep in mind that they will offer the new version of YMML at a discounted rate (about $10) for one month and I suspect they may do the same with YBBN. :)

ybbn? where does it  say that will be redone too?

ymml v3 will be offered  for an upgrade fee to existing owners of v1 or 2

Sigh, ok.  I wonder why there is an ORBX forum at AVSIM (which some use and some don't) when the forum that ORBX has, is a whole lot more inciteful?  Instead of getting info second hand from here, why not go there and read it straight from them?

There is a thread at ORBX, where there is discussion over the texture quality and overall performance of YMML, and it is stated that YMML will be redone (as I pointed out and others are repeating here) and then someone else has asked about YBBN, to which a response came through that YBBN will be redone.

This isn't the first time I have seen discussions in the ORBX forum here, that leads to arguments and misunderstandings because people (obviously I am being lumped in) repeat what they read at the OFFICIAL ORBX forum, and don't have the words exact.

I should also add that this thread is geared more towards the ORBX forum here, than a P3D forum, but more appropriately, at ORBX themselves.

So... Should I stay away even from the current P3Dv3 installers of YBBN and YMML? YBBN was released today

You may want to check ORBX's website.  Also, page 24 of the guide published by ORBX has something to say about it. :)

Oh, I'm familiar with ORBX's website. Also, page 24 has everything clearly explained.

Yes, FTX Global is a requirement "for the rest of the **GLOBAL** products@...

The regions are not in the global line of products, that's where you're confused...

• Upvote 1

Yes, FTX Global is a requirement "for the rest of the **GLOBAL** products@....

And even that's not entirely correct either, even though ORBX says so.

The only reason that they say that Global is required for the Global airports is so that the textures blend better at the edge of the scenery. Aside from that, having Global installed is not required for the functionality of the Global airports line to work correctly, all you need is their library to be installed.

Of course ORBX doesn't like to say this because they want to sell more copies of Global and they don't want the support questions from people asking why one of the Global airports doesn't blend well at the edges with GEX or default textures.

Also, a lot of the region specific airports will work fine without the regions installed, but that is more of a try at your own risk venture as some will require the specific files from the region to avoid mesh and flatten issues.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator