Sign in to follow this  
nemokin

Kernal-Power 41 error with P3Dv3.23

Hi

I just did a partial upgrade from v3.0 to v3.2 (P3D) last night by uninstalling and installing the client and content of P3D.

Launching P3D (v3.23) takes me to the flight set up screen (choose vehicle, location, weather, etc.)

and I select the default Raptor at default airport. No problem.
(EzDok starts as well, ASN no problem).

I then select another vehicle from the pull down menu, and for a second the plance loads (I can see the VC loading)

then boom! My PC shuts down. No rebooting.

I checked the error log and it is telling me "Kernal-Power 41".
I have no idea what this error is, but more importantly, what shall I do?

Appreciate your advice.

Kay

Kay Nemoto

Prepar3D version 3
Win7-64 bit

Your computer actually powers off?  That sounds like a power issue to me.  Does this continue to happen or did it only happen once?  Your power supply may be bad, a bad power cord...I think this is more of a computer hardware issue than software.

Further background into this error can be found here:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2028504

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Yashigashi,

Thank you for your reply.

I was running P3Dv3.0 without any of this ever happning, only after I updated to v3.23 last night.

I am using the same add-ons with v3.23 as I was with v3.0.
Given this, I am not sure if Power source is the culprit.

Could it be something else?

BTW,  some website recommended that I check my RAM with Windows Memory Diagnostic

and the result was OK without any problems.

Kay

Kay Nemoto

Prepar3D version 3
Win7-64 bit

Well, I have to say that this error you got has to be a first.  It could very well be shear coincidence that this problem coincided with a recent update.  Maybe if you posted the error log here, there is more to it.  I would also look into the CTD forum here.  Jim Young and others there could provide better insight into your problem.

I can say that it is not a P3D issue.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Launching P3D (v3.23) takes me to the flight set up screen (choose vehicle, location, weather, etc.)
and I select the default Raptor at default airport. No problem.
(EzDok starts as well, ASN no problem).
I then select another vehicle from the pull down menu, and for a second the plance loads (I can see the VC loading)
then boom! My PC shuts down. No rebooting.

I agree w/Jim (Yashigashi).  This is not appear to be a P3D issue but it could be an addon issue.  When you selected the other aircraft, what aircraft was it?  The Raptor is the default.  Was the other aircraft an payware addon?  If it was not installed properly or parts of the aircraft were inadvertently deleted, I could see P3D stumbling and having an issue as the aircraft cannot load properly.  Some aircraft, like the PMDG or the Carenado, depend on certain modules being loaded through the dll.xml at startup.  Perhaps your dll.xml is corrupted.

In any case, I read your OP that the sim does start up okay if you select the default Raptor.  That will load okay right?  You can fly around with it w/o a crash?  It's just when you select another "unknown" aircraft that it crashes.  Right?

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

Thank you for your response. Yes to all of your questions.

And I have a new problem, may not be related to my original Kernal error.

1. I updated my P3D from v3.0 to v3.23, only partially (client and content).

2. I had only updated the client and found GSX not showing up. Subsequent search said

that I need to update the Content as well for GSX to properly show. I upgraded the Content

following this advice.

3. Launched v3.23 and all was well.

At times, my P3D would CTD before the loading bar starts. I would reboot and try again,

was able to complete PMDG NGX flight from add-on airport

to another add-on airport without issue, but subsequent relaunch resulted in the CTD again.

4. Checked the error log, found some dll error (bgl- something) and searching your forum here

lead me that I need to update FSDT manager. That I did and seemed to have cleared this issue.

5. Launch P3D, Raptor at default airport. Then used pull down menu to select another plane,

namely Real Air Duke (add-on). The cockpit of the Duke showed only a second-ish then

PC turned itself off. Error log showed Kernal-Power 41 again.

6. I decided to go ahead and do a Windows update. (I only have critical updates and don't run

optional updates). Reboot my PC.

7. Launch P3D and select the default Raptor at default airport. No problem.

Now a new problem. When I select another plane either from the pull down menu or

in the first setting screen, the vehicle choices remain blank, stuck at selecting vehicles).

Since I am unable to select another plane other than the Raptor, I can not verify if the

Kernal error will reoccur.

Hmm...

Kay

Kay Nemoto

Prepar3D version 3
Win7-64 bit

Launch P3D and select the default Raptor at default airport. No problem.
Now a new problem. When I select another plane either from the pull down menu or
in the first setting screen, the vehicle choices remain blank, stuck at selecting vehicles).
Since I am unable to select another plane other than the Raptor, I can not verify if the
Kernal error will reoccur.

This issue might be best to be posted in the P3D Forum unless you are getting a CTD.  I updated P3D like you did and still had all of my FSDT programs and GSX and all of my PMDG aircraft, etc., etc., installed and never had any issues like you encountered.  I did have to update these programs when I went from Version 2 to 3 though.  But not when they upgraded to the latest version.  I only uninstalled the Client and Content and reinstalled the latest Client and Content for P3D.

The kernal power 41 crash is actually a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) which means you could be having a hardware failure.  As recommended in the AVSIM CTD Guide, I would download a driver update program and update any out of date or corrupt drivers.  Another suggestion from the guide would be to run the System File Checker program to see if you have any corrupt or missing system files.  There also is a section in the CTD Guide about BSOD's where you can download the BSOD viewer.  This program usually provides the names of the drivers that actually failed or are causing the problems.  See link to the CTD Guide in my signature.

I always get concerned with the way people install products as you should always have any anti-virus or anti-malware program, even Windows Defender, disabled when installing software as these programs seem to find a lot of really safe files unsafe and put them into quarantine.  Having the User Access Controls (UAC) turned on too during any installation of software can cause problems too as Windows has a duty to save you from evil hackers and individuals who might be trying to do devious things to you.  If you know the Source of the file (like FSDT or LockHeed Martin, PMDG, etc.), you don't have to worry about the program containing a virus or malware.  It is safe.  So, it is okay to turn off these things that can mess up any installation or operation of your simulator.  If you own any anti-virus or malware program, you need to go into those programs and disable scanning of the P3D folder and any folder that contains any P3D addon even while you are playing the game.  I know I had my anti-malware program running when I installed I-Fly's 747 for P3D and it quarantined one of the files.  I took the file out of quarantine but the sim still crashed as I allowed the program (AntiMalwarebytes) scan my P3D folder.  I exempted the P3D folder and all went well from then on. 

This could be the reason why when you try to select another aircraft, something prohibited its proper installation and it will not allow you to select it.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

I can't thank you enough for taking the time and providing your POV, very much appreciated.

Although I am not as experienced as many of the simmers are here, I have come to
learn to turn off the virus softwares when installing add-ons and such. UAC is always off.

I thank many people on this and other forum for providing me with these tips so I know better.

I will try System File Checker program or BSOD viewer as you suggest.

I may also reinstall (uninstall prior) v3.23 Client and Content files, thinking that these

did not install properly a few days back. (Maybe my vehicle choice issue can be resolved via this; if the
issue persists I will turn to P3D forum specifically for this error)

Kay

Kay Nemoto

Prepar3D version 3
Win7-64 bit