Sign in to follow this  
dapilot23

Nvidia GTX 1080 - 30 Page Review!

My only question is whether the new card will be able to deal efficiently with 4xSGSAA in P3D with thick overcast. My suspicion that it's not going to happen as AA is something that LM should fix internally, not NV. Meanwhile, hope is the last thing that vanishes, therefore, I will be waiting patiently for the first reviews within a couple of months. 

Being on 980ti now - I personally will be waiting on the 1080ti

If we look back through 980 vs 980ti and same in 700's..

The Ti is the mega jump of major interest usually.

According to this from Ars the developer does not need to do anything to get the 3 Monitor distortion correction:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/nvidia-gtx-1080-review/

Traditionally, this problem is solved by using three separate graphics cards in supported games, but with multi-projection, the single GPU can render three different viewpoints, with two of them correcting the distortion. Nvidia uses a similar technique to speed up VR rendering, allowing for a stereo image to be rendered in a single pass, dramatically improving the frame rate—a particularly big problem to solve when VR needs to run at a hefty 90 FPS. Without a VR headset to hand or multiple monitors, I can't say for sure how well this works just yet, but it was impressive in live demos, and developers apparently don't need to do a thing to see the performance benefits.

Coming from a gtx 680, this should be a nice bump in performance.

My thoughts as well....can't wait!

Also have a 980ti now and will wait for the 1080ti if they ever make one......

• Upvote 1

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Take my money! was ready to upgrade to a 980TI from my 970 but now I will go straight for the 1080. :P

Coming from a gtx 680, this should be a nice bump in performance.

Yes, but only if you've got the right CPU to go with it.

Yes, but only if you've got the right CPU to go with it.

The i7-975 Extreme, is killa...I do. :)

I passed by a few generations, to leap-frog.  Waiting has paid off.....

Just the pricetag, my friends, the pricetag is more than shocking. And as long as we continue to buy this overprized stuff, nVidia will simply continue to release the next generation with an even higher pricetag. Come on, 699$ for a mediocre chip that some years ago would have ended up in the x70 instead of the x80 series? Are they serious? Thanks to the non-existent competitor called AMD, nVidia can increase the prices year by year. Just think about it, before you go and buy this card...

• Upvote 2

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Just the pricetag, my friends, the pricetag is more than shocking. And as long as we continue to buy this overprized stuff, nVidia will simply continue to release the next generation with an even higher pricetag. Come on, 699$ for a mediocre chip that some years ago would have ended up in the x70 instead of the x80 series? Are they serious? Thanks to the non-existent competitor called AMD, nVidia can increase the prices year by year. Just think about it, before you go and buy this card...

Since it technically replaces the regular GTX 980, it's definitely a little overpriced at the moment. Nvidia were first to 16nm, and they are enjoying the benefits. There will be competition later when AMD release Polaris for the mid-range and Vega for the high-end. Nvidia will also release their proper high-end card (with HBM2), probably next year, which should push the price of the 1080 down.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

No, the release of the HBM2 variants of Pascal GPU will not push the price down, you will simply have to add some more $$$ for those cards. I can already see the 1080Ti will be released at about 799$ or even more, holy cow... The only real chance of price reduction will be competition by AMDs Polaris and Vega, as you said. Otherwise, we are again a step up in the price history, such as we were with the release of the GTX-680 (the first time nVidia was selling a x70 chip as an x80 and nobody cared) and later with the GTX-980.

I mean, read the final words of the guru3d GTX-580 review back in 2010 (http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_580_review,19.html): " Anyway, if priced right and if it falls within your budget, then we do like to recommend the GeForce GTX 580, but we are afraid that the 479 EUR (499 USD) price tag will scare away many people. High-end anno 2010 should be 400 EUR tops, imho."

And now, just some six years later, we accept a 699$ pricetag. Ridiculuous. BTW: the GTX-680 was then released for 500$ (469€), the GTX-780 even for 649$ (539€). Just the GTX-980 was a little bit "cheaper" with 549$, but then already the Titan brand was running with GPU around 1000$.

Verdict: the only guys to blame are ourselves being stupid enough customers buying this stuff (including me). Why should nVidia not try to always go one step up with the prices? But for me, it gets really ridiculous, 400$ for highend some years ago was a reasonable price for a graphics card, 700-1000$ just some five, six years later is simply ridiculous...

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Looking at comparisons between my 780ti and the 1080, I may to go to 3840*2160 (from 2560*1440) in 2016 or early 2017 (with the Ti) !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Well, this is all interesting.  I just forked out 600 CDN doh for a GTX980 a year and some ago.  I am still on the ancient i7-2700K CPU.  I am waiting for simmer with deep pocket to try it out an report back.  To me going from the GTX680 to GTX980 gave some improvement but not earth shattering.  I suspect that my CPU is now the bottleneck but I keep hearing later CPU generation is not that much better than the i7-2700K for simming, so I wait.  

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020