Sign in to follow this  
dapilot23

Nvidia GTX 1080 - 30 Page Review!

Well, if you compare for example 980Ti with 1080, you will see that although the latter is the faster card in current games, the memory bus is smaller (384bit vs 256bit) and the memory bandwith is lower (337GB/s vs 320GB/s) for the novel card. I guess, upgrading a 980Ti is definitively something not to be considered now, for the 980 (comes as well with 256bit but only 224GB/s) it might be worth a second thought.

Regarding your CPU: it is said that a novel CPU generation from Intel roughly provides 8-10% more power on equal clock speeds and it seems that this performance gain is pretty well reproduced in FSX/P3D. Means: your 2700K (Sandybridge) running for example at 4.5GHz is as fast as a 6700K (Skylake) running at 3.4GHz. Or if calculate it otherwise, a Skylake i7 running at 4.5GHz is about 30% faster than your 2700K. Now, this sounds like a huge margin, but if your 2700K is having trouble to maintain for example 15-18FPS (my personal cutoff FPS value), the 6700K will only provide you 19-24FPS. Whether or not this only marginal increase in FPS is worth an upgrade including CPU, mainboard and RAM along with the time loss for a complete new installation of OS and SIM, well, that's everybody's personal decision. In my case, running with an 3770K@4.5GHz, this GTX-1080 release simply postponed my next big upgrade step another half a year, if the GTX-1080Ti (or whatever the Pascal Chip with HBM2 will be called) arrives, I will check again what is available on the CPU side and then I either update everything or again only the GPU. We will see...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Well, after waiting months to find out if all the Nvidia noise was going to be something new instead of the the same hot air with a bad smell, it looks like the flim-flam smellly hot air producing king of GPUs is just making another attempt to get into our wallets. It is our fault, 100% we are to blame. 30 page review indeed. It is just like the 280, 380, 480 and will be the same for 100080 model. Lots of comparing apples and oil filters that mean nothing except to conclude that if your world revolves around Dancing Dragons and you are 35 and still live with your parents, then you will be happy. If you, like I, was hoping for a break thru after throwing away a lot of money over the years, well.....not so much. It appears to be just another carrot on a stick. Their Top reason to buy this "10X" faster GPU is that "it will perform better but just not a well as you would like. We are working hard and our next release will be better. So now Mister Flight Sim guy, Would you like one or two of these babies and do you want us to charge it to the same credit card as the yearly purchase that you have made for the past 10 years." Note: I sure hope I am wrong but if it quacks like a duck........

• Upvote 2

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Is your graphics card company playing games with YOU? Yes they are.

But not the game you would like to play.

They have all learned from other companies such as the I-phone products, Samsung, etc.etc. They realized people are never happy with what they have. So, every 9 months they add a little (a little) more icons or a little spec, or change the shape,  to make it look like the "Next Big Thing Is Here." And people run, swim, dash, fly, trip and stumble, to go get "the next big thing." When in reality is not a big deal. But, they get you with all the commercials and fuss.

Did you know that manufacturing an I-phone in China by poor kids (and adults) cost around ($ 130.00). Yet Apple brings it to you for only (only) $800.00 every 9 months. Smile.

The same with Nvidia, Intel, etc. etc. They know the tricks and let it go on you little by little, squeezing all the juice  $$$$ they can. So, before you buy your next  phone or video card, ask yourself. Do I really need to spend this money on that?  (9 out of 10 times- the answer is NO)

• Upvote 1

Did you know that manufacturing an I-phone in China by poor kids (and adults) cost around ($ 130.00). Yet Apple brings it to you for only (only) $800.00 every 9 months. Smile.

That assumes that the software on the device has no value. I would suggest that is not the case, and the biggest differentiater between iOS and Android.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Is your graphics card company playing games with YOU? Yes they are.

But not the game you would like to play.

They have all learned from other companies such as the I-phone products, Samsung, etc.etc. They realized people are never happy with what they have. So, every 9 months they add a little (a little) more icons or a little spec, or change the shape,  to make it look like the "Next Big Thing Is Here." And people run, swim, dash, fly, trip and stumble, to go get "the next big thing." When in reality is not a big deal. But, they get you with all the commercials and fuss.

The same with Nvidia, Intel, etc. etc. They know the tricks and let it go on you little by little, squeezing all the juice  $$$$ they can. So, before you buy your next  phone or video card, ask yourself. Do I really need to spend this money on that?  (9 out of 10 times- the answer is NO)

...and that accounts for my buy one...pass the next three or four series, strategy.  The strategy works....

...and that accounts for my buy one...pass the next three or four series, strategy.  The strategy works....

Yea...I jumped off the train some years ago! I am still running a 780 with 3770K. I do think that I will pick up a cheap 980 TI when the "Flying Dragon" boys start throwing their CC numbers at Nvidia. At some point I want to get to a 4K set up now that the OC Riff is not looking all that good for at least a year or two. I have found that it cost nothing to turn down autogen 1 notch and after maybe a day or so you don't notice the missing KFC store in Do-DA Kansas.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

2 970's with a nice factory OC working well here.  Relatively fast, quiet and don't take up a lot of space. The nv x70's series has always been a great, cost-effective fit for simmers.

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

2 970's with a nice factory OC working well here.  Relatively fast, quiet and don't take up a lot of space. The nv x70's series has always been a great, cost-effective fit for simmers.

Sorry to say, but all of above criticism also works for the x70 cards nowadays. Just look what will happen with the GTX-1070: it is meant to be as fast as a GTX-980 and nVidia now takes the step up and will sell the GTX-1070 for the price of a GTX-980. They really started off with this crap back then, when the GTX-680 was released, because AMD failed to produce a product challenging nVidia. The GTX-680 was the first product of nVidia, where they were able to sell a midrange chip (GK104) as a x80 series graphics card, simply because there was no competitor around. This little "trick" allowed nVidia to "develop" a novel high-end product called Titan, from this time on, the high-end chip (aka Gx100) was not anymore sold as a x80, but as a Titan or Ti variant, allowing nVidia to increase the prices. And now, just three generations later, nVidia takes the next step and puts the x70 on a pricelevel of the former x80 cards. And again, the problem is A) the customers (including me) and B) the absence of a real competitor.

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I think part of the ennui here over the value of faster processors comes partially from how (relatively) poorly FSX and P3D take advantage of the GPU. If you're a general gamer and use more modern programs designed from the ground up to take advantage of current hardware (as well as FSX/P3D) the value goes up accordingly.

Unfortunately most sims I can think of seem pretty heavily burdened by legacy code. Rather than palpable speed increases from new GPU's, we here tend to simply get better AA and higher resolutions, which blunts the value of updating.

X-plane fares a bit better here.

Since I'm also a general gamer, these cards are very very interesting.

untitled-1_zpsn5zaygny.png

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Sorry to say, but all of above criticism also works for the x70 cards nowadays. Just look what will happen with the GTX-1070: it is meant to be as fast as a GTX-980 and nVidia now takes the step up and will sell the GTX-1070 for the price of a GTX-980. They really started off with this crap back then, when the GTX-680 was released, because AMD failed to produce a product challenging nVidia. The GTX-680 was the first product of nVidia, where they were able to sell a midrange chip (GK104) as a x80 series graphics card, simply because there was no competitor around. This little "trick" allowed nVidia to "develop" a novel high-end product called Titan, from this time on, the high-end chip (aka Gx100) was not anymore sold as a x80, but as a Titan or Ti variant, allowing nVidia to increase the prices. And now, just three generations later, nVidia takes the next step and puts the x70 on a pricelevel of the former x80 cards. And again, the problem is A) the customers (including me) and B) the absence of a real competitor.

Well there's no law that says the x80 GPU needs to be a completely different chip than the x70. It's up to Nvidia to choose how they differentiate their products. Just because they did it one way for several generations doesn't mean they aren't allowed to change it.

However, competition at the high-end would definitely affect Nvidia's lineup. The price increase of the GTX 1080 vs the GTX 980 (and GTX 1070 vs 970) is a direct result of AMD not providing any competition. There's also a larger performance gap between the 1070 and the 1080 than the 970 and 980. With no competition, Nvidia can decide for themselves how the 1070 should be priced and spec'ed. If Polaris can match the 1070, Nvidia will be forced to reduce the price and/or add a "1070 Ti" to the lineup.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

There is no "law", right. But as you stated correctly, the problem was the inexistent competitor. IF AMD would have had a competitive card at the timepoint of the release of the GTX-680, nVidia would not have been able to do as they did. They would have been forced to release the Titan as a x80 model (as they did for the 280, the 480 and the 580 before) and the GTX-680 would have been the GTX-670, as it was in the generations before. That's all I am saying. I am even not blaming nVidia for doing this, in respect to their company success, it was the perfectly right thing to do.

BUT: in an ideal world, us as customers could have taken an influence on this attempt by simply not buying the GTX-680 and waiting for a release of another, stronger card. Then, with ridiculously low sale numbers, nVidia most probably would have changed their strategy. But there is little idealism in todays world, so the people went into the stores and bought the GTX-680 in quantities that sent the message to nVidia: you did everything right.

Same will happen now with the GTX-1080: the people ignore the fact that this card should actually be a Ti in regard of the pricerange and still buy it and this will tell nVidia again: you did everything right. Without the competitor, as you said, there is little to no chance that this will change in future. Sad fact: in two, three years, we will be up to 1000$ for a midrange-chip called x80 in the nVidia portfolio, if AMD not finally manages to put a competitive GPU on the market. Problem: if I would be AMD, I would now easily adapt to those high prices and also sell my cards for comparable prices instead. Why should AMD suddenly offer a GPU with comparable power to the 1080 for 20% less? Not going to happen. So, in the end, yes, the missing competitor is one reason, the other one are the blind customers buying such graphic cards simply because they provide 10 or 20% more performance, irrespective of what lies behind in the technical aspects.

Silly car comparison: this is similar like VW suddenly sells the VW Polo for the price of a VW Golf. Would never work out for VW, because the customers would not be that silly. Strange enough, that exactly this tactics works for graphic cards for the third time in a row now. In fact, nVidia simply sells us a GTX-1070 as a GTX-1080 and nobody cares. Good job, nVidia.

Greetings, Chris

Regarding your CPU: it is said that a novel CPU generation from Intel roughly provides 8-10% more power on equal clock speeds and it seems that this performance gain is pretty well reproduced in FSX/P3D. Means: your 2700K (Sandybridge) running for example at 4.5GHz is as fast as a 6700K (Skylake) running at 3.4GHz. Or if calculate it otherwise, a Skylake i7 running at 4.5GHz is about 30% faster than your 2700K. Now, this sounds like a huge margin, but if your 2700K is having trouble to maintain for example 15-18FPS (my personal cutoff FPS value), the 6700K will only provide you 19-24FPS. Whether or not this only marginal increase in FPS is worth an upgrade including CPU, mainboard and RAM along with the time loss for a complete new installation of OS and SIM, well, that's everybody's personal decision. In my case, running with an 3770K@4.5GHz, this GTX-1080 release simply postponed my next big upgrade step another half a year, if the GTX-1080Ti (or whatever the Pascal Chip with HBM2 will be called) arrives, I will check again what is available on the CPU side and then I either update everything or again only the GPU. We will see...
My setup is at 4.8 Ghz OC anc can maintain 18 FPS+ in most situation.  The difficulty of OC the later CPU and of course the additional cost of MB, Memory, and time stopped me from going further for now.  I am resisting the HW update siren until I see a proven huge gain worth the effort.  And that also includes seeing what P3D v4 has to offer as well as the so call 64 bit Dovetail sim.  Both my FSX-SE and P3D v3 setup are at best acceptable at the moment for me.  Even watching youtube from people with better HW, the current sims still leave much to be desired, my opinion of course.  AS to this new card, if I decide to get it, it will boost all of my non sim games hugely but I don't believe it will be much of a boost for the sims.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020