Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

HTC Vive vs Rift VR for P3D?

Having pre-ordered an Oculus Rift Retail version.. i had already thought i was set on the Rift as it had slightly higher resolution.  But reviews overall (for gaming) seem to point to Vive.. slightly less resolution but 360 degrees of view vs 180 with Rift, though i dont think this is a deal changer for Rift, as in my cramped office this would be more ideal for Rift (still hoping my area isnt too small.. a 10x12 room with maybe 6 x 6 for the desk area).

At any rate.. i know there is this FlyInside software for making Rift work better with P3D.. but has anyone looked into Vive.. does it also work.. which works better and feels more real with P3D?

EDIT: looks like they added Vive support..

Curious on any real experience so far?

Thanks

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

You mean Vive, dont you?

Darn autocorrect :)  HTC Vive yeah.  Fixed

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I have both and have used both with Flyinside. I recommend the Rift as better for sim with P3D. IMHO the screen is a good bit better as I can read all the dials and frequencies without leaning in. Since you are not moving around most of the pluses for the Vive go away.

Terry

I've heard rumours from youtube that the brightness of the Vive image is better than rift. Does the Rift reproduce natural colours, contrast and brightness convincingly or does it feel like you are looking the world through thick sunglasses?

Any update on this?  I have a rift due in the next few weeks but I am unsure about it now and I am considering cancel that order and going with vive... anyone had some air time with both?

Rift if you want to support a cancerous company.

Vive if you don't.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

What is the general feedback on which is best in sim?  The reports I read say the rift has a larger area where the image is in focus and very clear - which is what you want in a sim.  Vive is much smaller which can result in viewing issues in big jets etc.  Anyone got any feedback on that?

I also thought about VR for P3D, but you need nearly twice the performance as with a monitor. Hardware is just not ready to enjoy VR in high resolution and decent FPS

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I also thought about VR for P3D, but you need nearly twice the performance as with a monitor. Hardware is just not ready to enjoy VR in high resolution and decent FPS

I'm in line with this, tech just isn't there yet to make me want to replace a nice widescreen monitor.

Even taking out the PC performance aspect, I think generation 2 or 3 of these will be when things might start to change.

I see plenty of people on here running 2 or even 3 screens?  VR runs 1080 x 1200 x 2 so not that crazy really.I suspect 1080 or 1080ti will cope with that. 

Maybe someone is an owner of Vive/Rift and GTX 1080 and can write about flight sim experience?

• Upvote 1

I had the rift and used it with flyinside for about a week before returning it.

The immersion and feel of flying is wonderful. The resolution on the screens is just too frustratingly low which makes any sort of flying beyond helicopters and sightseeing just too cumbersome for me.

Seeing things in the distance clearly requires using various assists and even a general instrument scan is very difficult due to the resolution and some gauges been really hard to read.

I would recommend getting it from a place where you can return it. Version two of these headsets with higher resolution will be when this really takes off for serious flight simulation usage. The immersion is game changing...just needs a bit more resolution for me.