Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

HTC Vive vs Rift VR for P3D?

I'm getting my HTC Vive on monday, and I am of course going to check out how it works with p3d in VC :) I dont have 4k monitors, so for me I'm used to utilizing close up views on the gauges and fmc to view it properly, and maybe the VR experience will be more pallatable to me because of that. I will report back.

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

f you're flown at all in 4k, you will be absolutely and completely disappointed with this gen of VR.

Yeah it must be tough for the 4k flat panel flight simmers to drop back down to Rift resolution. There are a whole heap of people including myself that are still on old smallish 1080p monitors. Moving over to the Rift is much easier jump for us.

I will report back.

Looking forward to it thanks.

I have a 4K 40in monitor and I love p3d in 4k. I will give an answer soon enough on the rift. 

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

There are a whole heap of people including myself that are still on old smallish 1080p monitors. Moving over to the Rift is much easier jump for us.

That seems a little counterintuitive to me.

If anyone is flight simming on 1080p level hardware but expecting to have a great VR experience with P3D it is likely not going to happen unless you dial down all sliders and go with mostly stock everything.

(unless you're saying people have very modern hardware *other* than a monitor perhaps?)

Anyways - Bashed this one to death.  I've seen my experience corroborated in more than a few places online once the initial "rush" of immersion wears off.

It's really cool (VR) for certain things, but just not there yet for other things.

Really not a hot take or controversial and pretty fair opinion honestly.

Got my new Rift a couple of days ago with the Flyinside plugin. All I can say is WOW! Whole new world. It's like you are in your very own plane. You are immersed fully in your cockpit. When you are flying it is the real deal as you look out at your wings or engines they look the actual size. The terrain takes on a whole new life. I am going to find it very hard to go back to regular flightsimming which I have done for years. GA flying is now taking on a whole new life as I am used to flying  mainly heavies. 

So to prepare you if considering the move there are the following limitations:

(1) Resolution - this will eventually be improved with new iterations. But when you get in your cockpit and take off much of that becomes secondary as the sensation of flying in the real deal easily overcomes the resolution issues.

(2) If you wear glasses as I do - forget wearing them or get small spectacle glasses. I'm not bothered by this really as I can still make everything out quite well for flying purposes.

(3) Inside manipulation of windows, buttons, switches, etc. still needs work as it is awkward and not always accurate. Flyinside is doing a progressively better job at improving this.

I do get motion sickness from time to time but I have had none because of the great job Flyinside does with your existing setup. I have an i7-4790 with a GTX 970 4 gbs and 16 GB of memory. Every game I've played including P3D works very well and shockingly so given I've been flying the Rift with full ORBX base etc.

Bottom line, I can barely bring myself to go back to regular flying now with Rift. The experience is next to the real deal.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Great report, Lenny! I'm looking forward to trying my Vive out on tuesday when it arrives (hopefully). I dont expect it to replace my monitors, but I do hope it can give me that immersed sensation that I'm hoping for - for which smaller GA airplanes without complex systems and small little dials and gauges are perfect I guess :)

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Welcome Lenny to oculus and flight sim world..after flying with oculus , and if one is happy accepting the limitation, you will never go back to 2D world

Great report, Lenny! I'm looking forward to trying my Vive out on tuesday when it arrives (hopefully). I dont expect it to replace my monitors, but I do hope it can give me that immersed sensation that I'm hoping for - for which smaller GA airplanes without complex systems and small little dials and gauges are perfect I guess :)

By the way I'm not just flying the default airplanes. I regularly use the Turbine Duke to fly from RealAir.  So it's flying good payware aircraft.  I also use the camera settings for EZCA. It's quite the experience sitting back in the passenger seat looking around and enjoying the flight! 

Using ActiveSky I'm flying through clouds and real weather you have the sensation of being immersed in cloud formations which nothing else can touch. 

Welcome Lenny to oculus and flight sim world..after flying with oculus , and if one is happy accepting the limitation, you will never go back to 2D world

Thanks!. I didn't believe some of the things about VR but the first time I put it on this is a whole new ballgame. When you can actually get vertigo flying you know realism has hit paydirt finally.

By the way I'm not just flying the default airplanes. I regularly use the Turbine Duke to fly from RealAir.  So it's flying good payware aircraft.  I also use the camera settings for EZCA. It's quite the experience sitting back in the passenger seat looking around and enjoying the flight! 

Using ActiveSky I'm flying through clouds and real weather you have the sensation of being immersed in cloud formations which nothing else can touch. 

Thanks!. I didn't believe some of the things about VR but the first time I put it on this is a whole new ballgame. When you can actually get vertigo flying you know realism has hit paydirt finally.

Good to hear!  Gives me hope it might be a lasting technology, unlike previous VR or 3D attempts.

I look forward to improved headsets.

(unless you're saying people have very modern hardware *other* than a monitor perhaps?)

That is what I am saying yes. I have a powerful machine but have deliberately held back on better monitors so that the pain of moving from a crappy low res monitor to the low res rift will be less intense visually. Right now my old monitor is an AA blurry mess (a little bit over stated) so Rift will probably be ok and the 3D world will be worth it. All depends on budget!

So you can run EZDOK then with Rift?

As per developer Dan, ezdok is not compatible.it sometimes work and sometimes not.there is no error.but one side effect is if you peep in the view also moves along with you.so effctively it does not help.but without ezca, when you peep in you move closer to the view

That is what I am saying yes. I have a powerful machine but have deliberately held back on better monitors so that the pain of moving from a crappy low res monitor to the low res rift will be less intense visually. Right now my old monitor is an AA blurry mess (a little bit over stated) so Rift will probably be ok and the 3D world will be worth it. All depends on budget!

So you can run EZDOK then with Rift?

I've used it on a default plane and RealAir's Duke. As PankajD states it works sporadically but I have my presets working on the Duke for an outside shot, in the passenger seat and the PIC. 

So I just got my Rift and decided to fire up P3D with Flyinside and all I can say is wow.  With fly inside you can override the native resolution of the rift which makes the sim a little clearer with little to no performance hit.  I am running this on a 4790k, 16GB RAM and only a single 970 GTX.  (I have two for SLI but VR has had some issues with SLI for me.)  Avg FPS for those wondering is around 20-25, which is about my norm in P3D.  Its not 100% smooth, but then again neither was P3D in non VR, but the level of immersion is incredible.  You truly are transported to a life size cockpit, i nearly found myself reaching for switches and buttons with my hands.  Its something to be experienced for sure.  

I wonder if P3D had native support for VR if it would improve readability of gauges and such.  For instance using the Rift with project cars, I can view gauges on the dash a little clearer than in P3D.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Question to the cv1/vice owners...When you are flying, does it look for you as you are really on this altitude and also does it make landings easier because of the better feel for the altitudes?

I wonder if P3D had native support for VR if it would improve readability of gauges and such.  For instance using the Rift with project cars, I can view gauges on the dash a little clearer than in P3D

There is an interesting discussion on the gauges point here on the Flyinside board:

http://forum.flyinside-fsx.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2006