Sign in to follow this  
longrangecruise

Samsung 950 Pro SSD M.2 vs conventional SSD

Hi guys,

I am getting a new build ?. My Asus Z170I mobo will have one of these M.2 slots. As I am replacing one SSD anyway, I was thinking of maybe getting a Samsung 950 Pro.

Does anybody have experience with it?

Will Prepar3D V3 profit from it or are only the loading times improving?

Tomshardware has a review about it:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-950-pro-ssd,4313.html

As far as I understand it shows almost no gains in games and office applications, only gains with Adobe apps and read-write extensive apps.

Should I save my money and get a conventional 2nd SSD? If not, what configuration would make sense:

1. W10 on the new 950 (256 Gb), P3D on my old 850 Pro

2. Both OS and P3D on a new 950 Pro (has to be a bigger 512 Gb one, would be more expensive), my old 850 for additional stuff, like FreeMeshX, etc.

3. OS stays on the 850, P3D on a new 950 Pro (256 is probably tight unless I outplace mesh etc. onto the main drive)

I should probably tell you, that I use my PC mostly for simming. Some filemanagement, downloading, installing and making backups (external drive) of all the addons.

Regards, Perry

As far as I understand it shows almost no gains in games and office applications, only gains with Adobe apps and read-write extensive apps.

That was why I stuck with the 850 Evo. I may go U.2 some time in the future.

P3D doesn't hit the maximum transfer rate of my low-end Kingston V300 SSD, so a faster drive would not help. With an SSD, P3D is CPU-bound while loading.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Thanks guys for your answers.

P3D doesn't hit the maximum transfer rate of my low-end Kingston V300 SSD, so a faster drive would not help. With an SSD, P3D is CPU-bound while loading.

That is good to know, before spending a lot of money.

Regards, Perry

Hi,

I am using a Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD.

Benchmarks show 2 GB/s read and 1,2 GB/s writing.

But it is like you guys said. In games you will notice no gains. Maybe in some loading screens, but really almost not noticable.

Win 10 bootup is extremely fast.

I really like it, but to be honest: It is not worth the money :-)

am using a Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD.

Benchmarks show 2 GB/s read and 1,2 GB/s writing.

Hi Stefan,

it's good to get some firsthand information. Your SM951 is very similar to the 950 Pro.

Do you have P3D installed on this drive?

Regards, Perry

Hi Stefan,

it's good to get some firsthand information. Your SM951 is very similar to the 950 Pro.

Do you have P3D installed on this drive?

Yes, Win 10 and P3D and most of the addons.

I put on in on my  new build and in general, I noticed quite a big difference in load times over my previous build with a run of the mill SSD.  I haven't installed P3D yet, so I don't have any experience with that.  An example would be Citation X 2.0.  Notoriously long load time on my previous computer, I would say the load time has been cut by 75 percent at least.  Another big difference was in bench marking speeds.  My 950 blew away it's closest competition.  Now obviously, I'm not comparing apples to apples; I got a new motherboard and processor, and I'm sure they have a lot to do with the overall speed improvement of my rig, but I do not regret getting the 950 at all!

Mike McWilliams

Asus Rog Maximus XI Extreme motherboard, Intel i9-9900ks CPU, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 TI video card, G.Skill  TridentZDDR4 32GB SDRAM, Samsung NVMe SSD 970 1TB

I put on in on my  new build and in general, I noticed quite a big difference in load times over my previous build with a run of the mill SSD.  I haven't installed P3D yet, so I don't have any experience with that.  An example would be Citation X 2.0.  Notoriously long load time on my previous computer, I would say the load time has been cut by 75 percent at least.  Another big difference was in bench marking speeds.  My 950 blew away it's closest competition.  Now obviously, I'm not comparing apples to apples; I got a new motherboard and processor, and I'm sure they have a lot to do with the overall speed improvement of my rig, but I do not regret getting the 950 at all!

I highly doubt a 75% better loading time by switching from a SATA SSD to a M.2 SSD :-)

No: I KNOW that this is not true as I had Win 10 and P3D on my SATA SSD before (because I failed while installing both the first time :-P)