Sign in to follow this  
Luftwulf

Departing FSX, Arriving X-Plane

This is just my thought process and experience and not meant to say what is better and what is not.... just to say what is better for me.

I have fully converted from FSX to XP.  I recently had a crash on my PC and had to re-install all of my FSX add-ons, and I had a lot.  However, that was not the worst part, the tweaking and trying to get rid of this and that problem was.  So, recently my PC was hit by lightning and I decided to just quit.  I considered purchasing P3D, however that price tag coupled with my RE-purchase of my PMDG planes was enough to make me pass.

I then went back and started looking at X-Plane I first looked at what investment it would take to get started and I was shocked to see the quality of add-on available by the community.  Granted when I was looking I noticed the negative comments about XP was the lack of airports included in the base install, however the community has more that made up for that.  You have to ask yourself, do you want generic renderings or quality.... the community has produced quality, so I was impressed there.

I also wanted to know the quality of aircraft available.  I would regularly fly the PMDG 737/777 and the Aerosoft A320 with some A2A, Carenado, and CaptainSim thrown in.  I was impressed that I can pick back up with XP with close to the same level of detail I had before and I knew Carenado was developing for XP. 

And of course there is future development and platform.  XP being 64 and P3D being 32.... I see the limited life in P3D as you can only take that architecture so far and XP having room to continue to grow.  While the third-party options are not as plentiful, I can see that XP is beginning to catch up. 

The last thing is after I installed XP and begin to spend some time with it, I discovered where XP really shinned and what I felt really mattered.....  I have found that the flight model to be superb and in my opinion far better than anything I have experienced previously.  As a PP and the feel I had was surprisingly realistic.  

Anyway, that was just my process and I have not looked back.  The decision at first was a hard one because of all the funds I had invested previously but looking forward I will invest it in something I see a future in and with less frustration than the past.

Clear Skies

• Upvote 6

Definitely is a great time for X-Plane 10 being as more commercial developers are coming aboard and offering more high quality products. 

I made the switch from FSX a few years ago and have not looked back, although I do have P3Dv3 installed and enjoy it.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

I did too, switched to XP10 a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. Gave P3D a shot for 30 days but being so used to XP's smoothness, it had to go, I just could not stand the micro stutters, autogen pop-ups and blurries, 

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I followed much the same process, FSX to XP, some years back. I have bought all the versions of P3d as they came out more out of curiosity than anything else to find it was essentially still FSX. So whereas I've checked out the competition I've found nothing to compare. When I discovered I could make free photoscenery with autogen atop it there was never any chance of even having the two sims maintained together as many like to do, there was only one head and shoulders above the rest. Welcome to XP, you're gonna love it.

I use XP10 for 1.5 years now .. still learning and purchasing for it.

When Steam site goes down I cannot use XP10 ..

So I use P3D and my addons ...

If P3D needs addon updates (cuz new version of P3D e.g.) I use FSX and my addons...

The past purchases (investments in software and hardware) in all sims work well when needed.

Some aircraft I fly .. like VRS F18E and LevelD767 are limited by the SIM .. so at present I can only fly it in FSX .. until I update to P3Dv3.2 ... someday.

Or, the FF767 is my choice for Xplane an flight in a 767 ...

All the sims work well .. no lightning strikes yet. So, in my case I keep and use them all.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

My computer has a piece of technology called MultiSim™ which allows me to install both X-Plane and Prepar3D (and morre if I want) on the same system. That way I get the best of both worlds. For example, no equivalent of an OrbX regions with dozens of OrbX airports is available in XP, and the sim doesn't have full ATC and AI traffic.

On the other hand, there's a lot more freeware available for X-Plane, and lots of friendly-priced payware. The flight model is also more interesting, the frame rate is higher, and the sim is generally more stable.

X-Plane 10.50 is going to be extremely interesting. The monotonous Autogen will finally get an update, and per-airport flattening will put an end to runways that look like ski-ramps and buildings that float in the air - those are things that really kill the immersion.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Switched to Xplane fully about 2 years now, finally have my ATC with Radar Contact 4, my AI traffic with X-life, my copilot with MCE and weather/clouds using Skymaxx WC NOAA. I had a lot invested in FSX and P3D, but I've found that I enjoy XPX more.

Go and buy ixeg's 737-300, you will not look back believe me, ixeg & X plane 10 that's all you need, unbelievable aircraft, and like you guys say X plane is getting better all the time.

Regards

Paul egcc

Regards

Paul EGCC

I also landed in XP totally. In the past i used to fly XP only for helicopters and FSX/P3D for airliners.

Now i have only XP in my system and really happy. I think is the time for XP.

• Upvote 1

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

I always had both, but I used P3D more.. only recently, because of the blurrrrrr frustration, I decided to dedicate more time to XP.

It's smooth (it's not a matter of fps, i'm doing almost the same  fps), the physics is much more convincing, and the night/evening/lighting is amazing.. this is its strength points, that are really good points if we talk about a simulator, but talking about the graphic and the visual realism, a fully loaded XP10 (photomesh, custom mesh, skymaxx.. everything you can imagine), doesn't come near the beauty of P3D (with ORBX and REX), and also the enormous quality aircraft database (while in XP the good ones are very limited).

So actually i'm doing my night routes with XP10, but when I want to enjoy the scenery with that plane... I switch to P3D, accepting the stutters and the occasional blurriness, because the beauty of it surpasses any frustration. :)

how does Steam go down 4 u? :rolleyes:  :P  in 6yrs Steam has never stopped for me.

how does Steam go down 4 u? :rolleyes:  :P  in 6yrs Steam has never stopped for me.

David,

Steam site has gone down a few times ... that is why and how I knew to mentioned it. I have had problems with it.

Steam has to be installed on the PC, Steam on the internet has to be UP, my internet local connection must be Up or you cannot use the Steam purchased product Xplane10.

And Steam tracks all your game usage.

Had I known when I purchased I would have ordered Xplane10 directly (CD'S) from Xplane ...

At the time I purchased I thought Steam was just used for the immediate credit card purchase and product download transaction as I had never previously heard about Steam.

In addition, Tech support is thru Aerosoft Ticket system.

So, now I know to purchase directly from the developer /  sponsored distributors (like SimMarket / Flight One)  that do not have problems like I mentioned.

Edit:

I have read in a reply to me .. one pilot got so annoyed with having the Steam App running all the time (memory usage) the PC was turned on and the problems I mentioned .. he uninstalled Steam and re-purchased Xplane10 (minus Steam).

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

David,

Steam site has gone down a few times ... that is why and how I knew to mentioned it. I have had problems with it.

Steam has to be installed on the PC, Steam on the internet has to be UP, my internet local connection must be Up or you cannot use the Steam purchased product Xplane10.

And Steam tracks all your game usage.

Had I known when I purchased I would have ordered Xplane10 directly (CD'S) from Xplane ...

At the time I purchased I thought Steam was just used for the immediate credit card purchase and product download transaction as I had never previously heard about Steam.

In addition, Tech support is thru Aerosoft Ticket system.

So, now I know to purchase directly from the developer /  sponsored distributors (like SimMarket / Flight One)  that do not have problems like I mentioned.

Edit:

I have read in a reply to me .. one pilot got so annoyed with having the Steam App running all the time (memory usage) the PC was turned on and the problems I mentioned .. he uninstalled Steam and re-purchased Xplane10 (minus Steam).

You can choose to put Steam in OFFLINE mode and it will remain that way until you allow it back on. You can of course always play the content you bought without an internet connection. 

Switched to Xplane fully about 2 years now, finally have my ATC with Radar Contact 4

How is this possible, brother?

spacer.png

So I use P3D and my addons ...

If P3D needs addon updates (cuz new version of P3D e.g.) I use FSX and my addons...

The past purchases (investments in software and hardware) in all sims work well when needed.

Some aircraft I fly .. like VRS F18E and LevelD767 are limited by the SIM .. so at present I can only fly it in FSX .. until I update to P3Dv3.2 ... someday.

Or, the FF767 is my choice for Xplane an flight in a 767 ...

All the sims work well .. no lightning strikes yet. So, in my case I keep and use them all.

Not really sure why you would not be able to use it when steam goes down. That's what offline mode is for.

7. Is it possible to run X-Plane 10 with the STEAM OFFLINE Mode?

Yes, with the X-Plane Version 10.30+ it is possible.

Start the STEAM Application in OFFLINE mode and start Start X-Plane 10.

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/83728-faq-x-plane-10-steam-version/