Sign in to follow this  
N1G

Dovetail - Anyone biting?

think they are talking about the end of 2016 for the full version. I have watched a couple of videos on Youtube of the school version, and frankly was not impressed.

Me thinks he forgot to turn on pitot heat.

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

From what I've noticed in the posted video, there is still quite a bit of autogen popup and blurrie problems,  two which I can't stand. Will stick to XP10 as it does not have these problems at all.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

+2 Wrong forum. 

There is a dedicated forum for Dovetail's flight school and sim with extensive threads covering all kinds of topics. Might want to check there for infos instead of posting in the P3D forum.

I wanted to address p3d users specifically. Seemed logical to me. Sorry.

Bob

• Upvote 3

I wanted to address p3d users specifically. Seemed logical to me. Sorry.

Bob

Perhaps, but I think "the plug" would have been better suited for FSX users, as this appears to be an evolution from that.  P3D, while still based on FSX code, just feels more advanced, but that's just my own opinion.  With version 3 in full swing, I think there are a lot of v3 owners who are quite content, myself included.  When DTG comes out with their full flight sim, then that may be the time to assess and compare.

Again, what I wrote above is expressed opinion from me and others may disagree, which is fine.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I'm not interested in starting over with add ons. The train sim guys say DTG are notorious for selling you something and not ever fixing the bugs. The videos I saw make it look like an Xbox release with no actual in game footage.

I'm still confused as to what I'm buying. 

DTG appears to have separated out the learning from the flying.  Their flight school sim is designed for those who don't know much about flying and teaching them how.  The full sim, released date unknown, is designed for those who know how to fly and want to add their own content like airports, scenery, etc. (basically like FSX, P3D, X-Plane).  It looks like the real selling point is the 64-bit code.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

So far I've seen nothing that is even remotely attractive to purchase…

I certainly hope the full-blown simulator is a huge leap over flight school because we don't really need a re-skinned FSX in 2016.

I am going to wait for the full version of Dovetail's simulator and see what new features it has.  64 bit is a nice step forward, but agree we don't need a re-textured FSX with new lighting effects in 2016.

I am very interested to see the new version of the Aerofly PC simulator.  Looks like it covers mainly the southwestern US and that is where I do most of my flying anyway.  I'm sure it will not be as in depth as X-Plane 10 or P3d, but it does look interesting.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

new Aerofly PC version of their simulator

Thank you for mentioning that…I went to their Facebook page and looked at the video.

Lots of good looking stuff in there especially the downtown skyscrapers in urban areas.

OrbX needs to get seriously better at that as some of it looks incredibly cheesy (downtown Seattle for example).

64bit does not make a simulator better or nicer looking...

Unless there is not a new "world-shaking" simulator, I stay with P3D. Too much invested to make a transition to a new platform.

Also the Dovetail sim is based (at the end) on MS FSX technology.

I agree +1

• Upvote 2

Regards

Lamar Wright

The train sim guys say DTG are notorious for selling you something and not ever fixing the bugs.

Since we already are in the P3D forum and do comparisons to the Train Sim franchise it might be worth noting that Dovetail does yearly updates for TrainSim, which so far have been completely free for existing customers.

I'm not interested in starting over with add ons.

No need to. Flight School will not support any third-party add-ons. That will of course be different with the full flight sim.

64bit does not make a simulator better or nicer looking...

Well, yes and no. Based on what I've seen in X-Plane when it moved from 32-bit to 64-bit, the base sim did run at least a little more smoothly, and it allowed a few new default features like pre-loading more scenery in the distance (past tile boundaries). The main impact was that it freed up 3rd party developers to do more, like provide high-def terrain mesh, and deeper systems modeling for aircraft.

For example -- and if I remember this right -- PMDG has said that the reason the circuit breaker panel in their upcoming DC-6 is fully operational in X-Plane, and it won't be in the FSX/P3D version, is due to the much more relaxed memory constraints in a 64-bit platform.

I think the success (or failure) of the upcoming DTG full flight sim will depend on whether they're able to take full advantage of the extra RAM address space, both internally and with 3rd party add-ons. So far, I'm not seeing any evidence that they're doing that in Flight School. Those low-res, blurred runway textures and scenery pop-ins shouldn't happen with a full 64-bit RAM space to work with. I guess they were concentrating more on plane models and the instruction, which is understandable for the target market of newcomers. It will have to look better than that in the upcoming full-featured flight sim, but at least the potential should be there.

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor