Sign in to follow this  
dazzystar

Have I installed things correctly?

Hi All,

I've installed the latest version of P3D on my rig, then installed FTX Global, FTX UK, REX Essentials+ HD and the Realism Shader pack in that order. I tried a brief flight from KHQM last night and once in the air the graphics were very good but my issue is that even though I used REX to install textures the runway and surround areas didn't look much different.

Have I installed something in the wrong order or done something I shouldn't?

TIA

Daz

Hi DAZ,

Install order sounds OK although the precise order should not be crucially important anyway. Check the settings in REX - you have the option to use 1024 right up to 4096 bit textures for runways etc. Also in the Sim itself, select the texture resolution. By default it might be on 1024 and can be pushed all the way to 4096. Be aware though that higher resolution textures will affect performance and possibly create VAS issues (out of memory crashes). Perhaps a more obvious one, make sure you have saved your texture theme set and have selected the option to install it into the sim - done through the REX control panel.

When I first installed P3D (coming from FSX), I was a little underwhelmed at the differences. However, given some time to get the settings right (for my eye and my system), I can now say it is quite an improvement and worth the investment. You too may just need to make some adjustments (I'm not talking .cfg tweaks such as setting Affinity etc) but the P3D sliders and the control panel options for REX, ASN, FTX etc and you will be good to go.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll have a play later when I get home from the office. I can't seem to work out how to use real world weather like we can in FSX or perhaps P3D doesn't have it?

One of the best options for real world weather is Active Sky Next. Very easy to configure and use. Works well with P3D and REX. Even in my "remote" part of the world it is pretty accurate. What's on the screen is what I see outside. I might be wrong but I believe that you have to have it if you want weather radar to work in the PMDG B737's. I've not tried the options in P3D's own weather engine though..... so not sure what it is capable of.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I may have screwed up things a little tonight. I've played around with Nvidia Inspector and ever since my FR's have dropped. Granted I was over Elstree in the UK which is highly populated. Guess it's time to drop the quality settings or call in someone who can have a play around for me using Teamviewer....any experts out there fancy having a play with my pc ?

A typical edit in NI is setting 4 x SGSS for anti-aliasing. This will improve some visuals in the sim and 'fix' some shimmering but it does take a hit on FPS, especially if you are in heavy weather and scenery.

Many here just have NI set to defaults, no edits at all. It is easy to reset NI to it's defaults if you want to take a step back and start again.

Not sure Team Viewer will help much as the image presented on the other PC will probably have some additionally induced network/bandwidth lag/delays, thus making it very difficult to know what is working best.

GregH

Hi All,

I've installed the latest version of P3D on my rig, then installed FTX Global, FTX UK, REX Essentials+ HD and the Realism Shader pack in that order. I tried a brief flight from KHQM last night and once in the air the graphics were very good but my issue is that even though I used REX to install textures the runway and surround areas didn't look much different.

Have I installed something in the wrong order or done something I shouldn't?

TIA

Daz

You can check the "installlog.txt" in the main REX directory......it will tell you what was installed, to which sim and when the installation took place.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X