Sign in to follow this  
jojonoble1988

Wind Sounds

Hi all,

I am using FS2004 and have a problem with the wind sound. In the sound.cfg file under the wind sound section I have specified the minimum speed as 300 and the maximum speed as 400 (I assume the mentioned speed is in KTAS). However when running FS the wind sound actually starts at around 225KTAS, I thought the wind sound shouldn't be heard until the aircraft reaches 300KTAS or above as specified in the sound.cfg file. 

Also as the aircraft climbs the wind sound seems to drop off (gets quieter and slower playback rate) this usually occurs ar around 37,000ft and above. Is the wind sound supossed to effected by altitude as well? 

Am I doing something wrong or is the min/max speed setting for wind sound in the sound.cfg folder measured in something other than Knots? 

Any help or suggestions would be great! 

Cheers 
Joe

Hi Joe, here's the relevant example (for the Schweizer sailplane) from the Wind Sounds section of the FS2004 Aircraft Container SDK:

minimum_speed=0.1

The minimum speed (in KTAS) used by the _volume and _rate parameters.

maximum_speed=160.0

The speed (in KTAS) above which the sound has constant volume and pitch. Specified in KTAS units.

minimum_volume=7000

The lowest possible volume--if the sound drops below the minimum volume specified, it will not be heard. If the aircraft's speed is between minimum_speed and maximum_speed, playback volume is applied. (Volume is specified in 1/100dB units, with a value of 10,000 being the maximum possible volume.)

maximum_volume=10000

Specifies the highest possible volume--the sound never exceeds the volume specified. If the aircraft's speed is between minimum_speed and maximum_speed, playback volume is applied. (Volume is specified in 1/100dB units, with a value of 10,000 being the maximum possible volume.)

minimum_rate=0.50

Specifies the minimum rate at which the sound is played. If the aircraft’s speed is between minimum_speed and maximum_speed, the playback rate is applied between the minimum_rate and maximum_rate values.

maximum_rate=1.25

Specifies the maximum rate at which the sound is played. If the aircraft’s speed is between minimum_speed and maximum_speed, the playback rate is applied between the minimum_rate and maximum_rate values.

Hi thanks for reply, here is my wind sound config for Project Airbus A319, even though I've specified 300KTAS as the minimum speed the sound is heard when in play the wind sound actually starts much earlier at say 220KTAS, its pretty much the same for all of the aircraft I edit. Maybe something to do with system/PC

// Wind Sounds ________________________________________________________________

[WIND_SOUND]
filename=TSS-WIND
flags=0
viewpoint=1
minimum_speed=300.00
maximum_speed=450.00
minimum_volume=0
maximum_volume=10000
minimum_rate=1.00
maximum_rate=1.00

even though I've specified 300KTAS as the minimum speed the sound is heard when in play the wind sound actually starts much earlier at say 220KTAS

Hi Joe, KTAS means Knots True Air Speed, which at altitude will be higher than the KIAS (Knots Indicated Air Speed) as shown on your instruments. You can check if your speeds are correct by using the online True Airspeed Calculator here:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/tasinfocalc.html?cx=partner-pub-8018289210612122%3Ali00ja-20in&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=&sa=Search&ias=300&msla=30000&oate=.02&tas=400.000

Yeah speeds check out as correct using that website.

However even though I have specified minimum speed at which the wind sound is heard as 300KTAS it actually starts at around 220KTAS (depending on altitude) which makes me think the wind sound speeds are based on KIAS, if that makes any sense.

Even if they are based on KIAS FS9 still plays the wind sound at the incorrect speeds.

I also see a non-active member also noticed this problem back in 2004, this is what I found below on an older forum.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:55 PM

I can not get the wind sound to play at the correct speeds in the default 737 or with the PMDG 737.The speed settings in the sound.cfg file don't seem to relate to the speeds at which the sound plays.In general, the sound starts playing MUCH earlier than the minimum speed, and the volume maximizes well before the maximum speed setting. In fact, the "ramp up" seems to be very sharp and unrealistic.Never had this problem with FS2002. I have tried re-installing FS2004, on 2 different machines, and the problem persists.Is this a general bug with FS2004? Could it be something to do with FSUIPC?Has anyone noticed this, and do you have a fix? 

These are my wind sound settings for the Super VC10

[WIND_SOUND]
filename=ev_wind
flags=0
viewpoint=1
minimum_speed=135.00
maximum_speed=315.00
minimum_volume=0
maximum_volume=10000
minimum_rate=0.00
maximum_rate=1.00

So in effect the wind noise against the cockpit windows starts at 135kts. The max being 310kts. This is actually more realistic for most jet transports. Starting with 300kts as minimum means that the wind will in effect rarely be heard.

These settings also allow me to adjust the engine noise so that once airborne especially at cruise speeds the engines can barely be heard whereas on the ground at full take-off throttle the sound of 4 RR Conways is most apparent!!

Unfortunately the wind noise parameters are linear. You should acquire a copy of FS Sound Studio as that will help you enormously.

Even if they are based on KIAS FS9 still plays the wind sound at the incorrect speeds.

Although there are no defined wind sound speed limits in the SDK definition above, I think your minimum speed could be too high. Compare yours to this payware A319 wind sound:

[WIND_SOUND]
filename=wind
flags=0
viewpoint=1
minimum_speed=40.00
maximum_speed=240.00
minimum_volume=2026
maximum_volume=9500
minimum_rate=1.20
maximum_rate=1.20