Sign in to follow this  
Heimi

Aerofly 2 really bad, refunded.

I live in Europe and will certainly NOT mind if they omit the entire globe and focus on the SoCal and NoCal area plus Hawaii. Add a good (in depth) system for navigation and a good Autopilot and you have a satisfying simulator.

Ideally you would be able to update Airac cycles from Navigraph. The point in keeping the sim in this restricted area is that development of a good ATC system will be much easier. After that, make AI aircraft that move around and fill the sky. Then focus on Multiplayer environments like IVAO, PilotEdge and VatSim.

You nailed it. Give me these three regions, AIRAC data and proper avionics and I'll be in right away. And don't forget water textures please.  

Hans

I completely agree that the developers of Aerofly FS2 should forget about "going global", and concentrate on filling out the South western USA high resolution scenery region with as much detail as possible. We do not need another global flight simulator. What we need is something different. The Flight Unlimited series was different, and it was (IMO) superb (after all, I used it exclusively between 1999 and 2008). What I would like to see is AeroFly FS2 become "Flight Unlimited : The Next Generation", with a much larger area of superbly detailed scenery, and a detailed and intuitive ATC system. It doesn't need to have PMDG level of systems depth. Why should it? If you want that, then buy yourself a copy of P3D, FSX :SE, or the upcoming DTG Flight Simulator. The high resolution scenery region seems large enough (to me) for a huge variety of interesting flights in GA planes, bizjets, military jets, and even airliners. It doesn't need to simulate 14 hour intercontinental Boeing 777 flights. A couple of hours in an A320 or 737 will do.

What AeroFly FS2 does need (IMO) is a consistent level of quality across that entire south western USA region. It needs small airstrips and municipal airfields in addition to the larger airports. It needs that solid ATC system. It needs decent weather effects (but not real world weather). It would also be nice to see a good implementation of floatplane physics, which of course will require nicely simulated water (I am aware that FU2 and FU3 did this with static texture sheets, but this is 2016). It would also benefit from consistent autogen across the region that is carefully matched with the photorealistic ground textures for accuracy. It also needs the resolution and colour saturation of those photoscenery textures to be consistent. I don't know what the resolution of these is in AeroFly FS2 at the moment, but 0.6 metre provides a very clear image down to below 500 feet.

In short, AeroFly FS2 needs to be unique. It's no good trying to compete with the global flight simulators. That would be a waste of time and resources. It needs to look and feel complete right out of the box, but still have room for improvements in the future. That could be additional airfield packages, scenery packages, and possibly even extensions to the base scenery itself (with all of the autogen and realistic landmarks included).

I have no idea what the developers want from this product. I just hope that they were once keen supporters of the Flight Unlimited series!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I ended up buying this and am very happy assuming further development. But in terms of what these developers should or should do- the fact of the matter when the SDK is released developers can take it anywhere they want to. The entire world is actually modeled it's just that it's up to them or the developers through the SDK to make ground textures, mesh etc. for the other areas.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Currently flying the 737-500 from the Bay to Palm Springs and so far I like it a lot. 

Start the sim

Plot the route

Get in the air

I asked my wife to marry me when we had a private 182 and flew at dusk in the Las Vegas area... would be nice to get her behind the yoke this time....  :smile:

5nnek8.png

• Upvote 2

Maarten Otto

19.jpg

Pardon my post, as I'm not trying to knock anybody and wish this sim became the next great thing as I too yearn for a new great engine. But...

I guess my confusion is why all the expectations from "Early Access" and further development of much needed features this version?  What you have is what you are going to get, with a few bug fixes.

I was a sucker and bought version 1 with all the same excitement ya'll share now, yet saw no continued execution.... it seems most don't realize there was a version 1 that was the same basic thing, only in Switzerland, with no systems, photo scenery, a flight model based on an RC simulator etc.  Sure, it looked pretty, but if that's all I want I can play the same thing for $5 on my iPad.

I can see the vision you guys share, but what the heck improved so dramatically in the years leading up to V2?  Maybe I genuinely missed it.  Otherwise, I see this going the exact same way, pipe dreams of future development that never comes.  I wish it would work, but it didn't come close with V1.

But of course, that is, unless you pre-purchase a copy of V3 for $79.99!  :drinks:

• Upvote 2

@be77solo:

Well said - I was also a v1 buyer that just waited, waited...then deleted.

These guys lost a lot of benefit of the doubt with me from that experience.

May it go well for others!

Steam clearly states that for titles bought in pre-release one could at any given moment ask for a full refund for as long as the title is not officially released. 

I see no problems in that....

Maarten Otto

19.jpg

Pardon my post, as I'm not trying to knock anybody and wish this sim became the next great thing as I too yearn for a new great engine. But...

I guess my confusion is why all the expectations from "Early Access" and further development of much needed features this version?  What you have is what you are going to get, with a few bug fixes.

I was a sucker and bought version 1 with all the same excitement ya'll share now, yet saw no continued execution.... it seems most don't realize there was a version 1 that was the same basic thing, only in Switzerland, with no systems, photo scenery, a flight model based on an RC simulator etc.  Sure, it looked pretty, but if that's all I want I can play the same thing for $5 on my iPad.

I can see the vision you guys share, but what the heck improved so dramatically in the years leading up to V2?  Maybe I genuinely missed it.  Otherwise, I see this going the exact same way, pipe dreams of future development that never comes.  I wish it would work, but it didn't come close with V1.

But of course, that is, unless you pre-purchase a copy of V3 for $79.99!  :drinks:

Yours is a bad assumption. Not saying it might happen. But it might also NOT happen. Take Squad as an example, it was in early access (or still is, haven't checked) and the developers introduced a LOT of new features for it right in the Early Access phase.

Even between V1 and V2 tho, you can't really say it's the same thing. V2 you got more planes, you got an autopilot (which should be improved) and so on.

• Upvote 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

IPACS made a lot of people disappointed with Aerofly FS 1, that's for sure. Just like AFS 2, it showed promise, and many fans hoped they would keep adding to it. Instead we got 2 payware aircraft with non-functioning panels, and then they abandoned the sim in favor of their mobie apps, which surely generated a lot more revenue for them.

I've bought a few Early Access titles over the years. Some companies that release Early Access titles do fulfill their promises. Others just one day decide that "this is it", and push version "1.0" without any changes from the EA version. IPACS have a lot to prove in this regard, but I hope they manage it better than they did with AFS 1. If you don't want to take the risk, then save your $50 until the sim comes out of Early Access...

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Can someone please tell how much space on disk it actually occupies once deployed?

I read on their product page it should be about 45 GB, but when I launch it from Steam I get message that it requires 30.1 GB.

I bought it three days ago, however I did not download it yet, since after installing DTG Flight School I am pretty low on space on my SSD.

I completely agree that the developers of Aerofly FS2 should forget about "going global", and concentrate on filling out the South western USA high resolution scenery region with as much detail as possible. We do not need another global flight simulator. What we need is something different. The Flight Unlimited series was different, and it was (IMO) superb (after all, I used it exclusively between 1999 and 2008). What I would like to see is AeroFly FS2 become "Flight Unlimited : The Next Generation", with a much larger area of superbly detailed scenery, and a detailed and intuitive ATC system. It doesn't need to have PMDG level of systems depth. Why should it? If you want that, then buy yourself a copy of P3D, FSX :SE, or the upcoming DTG Flight Simulator. The high resolution scenery region seems large enough (to me) for a huge variety of interesting flights in GA planes, bizjets, military jets, and even airliners. It doesn't need to simulate 14 hour intercontinental Boeing 777 flights. A couple of hours in an A320 or 737 will do.

What AeroFly FS2 does need (IMO) is a consistent level of quality across that entire south western USA region. It needs small airstrips and municipal airfields in addition to the larger airports. It needs that solid ATC system. It needs decent weather effects (but not real world weather). It would also be nice to see a good implementation of floatplane physics, which of course will require nicely simulated water (I am aware that FU2 and FU3 did this with static texture sheets, but this is 2016). It would also benefit from consistent autogen across the region that is carefully matched with the photorealistic ground textures for accuracy. It also needs the resolution and colour saturation of those photoscenery textures to be consistent. I don't know what the resolution of these is in AeroFly FS2 at the moment, but 0.6 metre provides a very clear image down to below 500 feet.

In short, AeroFly FS2 needs to be unique. It's no good trying to compete with the global flight simulators. That would be a waste of time and resources. It needs to look and feel complete right out of the box, but still have room for improvements in the future. That could be additional airfield packages, scenery packages, and possibly even extensions to the base scenery itself (with all of the autogen and realistic landmarks included).

I have no idea what the developers want from this product. I just hope that they were once keen supporters of the Flight Unlimited series!

Amen! I agree totally. Flight Unlimited was totally enjoyable with a lot less terrain. It's the immersion of great airports (read ORBX style here), beautifully realistic terrain and great flight models.

I would gladly pay for add-ons for global regions too, same approach as for photoreal addons for MS flightsims.

I don't need global flight to be happy, I'll settle for regional flights in the areas I want to visit.

For other things we have many choices already.

With this approach I bet Aerofly would also corner a lot of the more casual simmers/gamers than FS did.

Let's face it - there might be a lot of us who want to simulate a transatlantic flight in a fully loaded 747 with all the systems working realistically - but gloablly we are a small group nontheless.

Can someone please tell how much space on disk it actually occupies once deployed?

I read on their product page it should be about 45 GB, but when I launch it from Steam I get message that it requires 30.1 GB.

I bought it three days ago, however I did not download it yet, since after installing DTG Flight School I am pretty low on space on my SSD.

My installation is around 30GB on disk

Maarten Otto

19.jpg