Sign in to follow this  
CavalierDuck

Balkans Part 1: Vienna to Pula

By popular request at the end of last week's flight, here is the first part of a meander through the Balkan states and along the Adriatic Coast (I've got 4 weeks of plans roughly sketched out).

Part 1 begins at LOAN just to the southwest of Vienna, we take a route through the hills via Kapfenberg (LOGK) to Graz (LOWG), before crossing into Slovenia near Maribor (LJMB). Continue through Slovenia to Slovenj Gradec (LJSG) then over the mountains to the capital Ljubljana (LJLJ). Next west towards the Adriatic, cutting across a tiny corner of Italy and the city of Trieste before the last stop in Slovenia at Portoroz (LJPZ). Finally south into Croatia following the coast of the Istrian peninsula via Vrsar (LDPV) to Pula (LDPL).

Flightplans
FSX

Plan-G

Aircraft
The route is 256 miles so I'm thinking GA aircraft in the 160-180 knots cruise range would be ideal. I'll be in a Comanche but as always, fly what you like!

Scenery
Nothing required, but FTX Global textures, FTX Global Europe landclass (or equivalents) and a decent mesh will make it prettier.
If anyone would like to add some freeware airport upgrades, IVAO Slovenia division has collected some rather nice renditions of the Slovenia airports (LJMB, LJSG, LJLJ, LJPZ) which can be found at

http://www.ivao.si/en/scenery/

These only take a few minutes to put in, the only wrinkle I found was that if you are running FTX Global Vector you need to disable the Airport Elevation Correction for LJLJ.
There is also a freeware Pula LDPL here in the AVSIM library which has now been tested and seems fine, a big improvement over default. Link here.

Date and time: Saturday 21st May 2016, 1800 UTC
Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
Multiplayer: FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet! (linked here)

Note to Ron: server start time to be advised (which probably means I'll forget as usual...).

With Global ticked in FTX Central, Pula looks ok--no "artifacts".

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

Beg pardon, chaps.  Pula needs AEC disabled!  :fool:

Stew

Scenery fans might enjoy Manfred Marbler's work in Austria. You can get Graz at AVSIM.

Kapfenberg (LOGK) v1.0 http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=logk&CatID=root&Go=Search
(Elevation issues)

Graz (LOWG) v9.0 http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTerm=lowg&Sort=Added&ScanMode=0&Go=Change+View

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Beg pardon, chaps.  Pula needs AEC disabled!  :fool:

I have now tried the Pula scenery, it's a good step up from the default, but I didn't need to disable AEC.  Strange!

Scenery fans might enjoy Manfred Marbler's work in Austria. You can get Graz at AVSIM.

Graz (LOWG) v9.0 http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTerm=lowg&Sort=Added&ScanMode=0&Go=Change+View

Thanks Mike, I missed that!

Question:  Where does Marbler's effects.cfg file go?  Into the same place as the four .fx files?  And what does that effects.cfg file do anyway?  There's no other effects.cfg file anywhere in FSX's effects folder.

Stew

Ok, never mind fellers.  There is an identical effects.cfg in the FSX Effects folder, so everything is fine.

Stew

Sorry, sorry, sorry. 80P  I was engrossed in trying to sort out some RAM and, and, and.....

Nice flight chaps. :good:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.