I'm contemplating upgrading my motherboard and CPU. Mobo I've pretty much decided on is Gigabyte's GA-Z170 Sniper Intel Z170(Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX. The CPU will be an i7-6700K 4.0GHz(Skylake)LGA1151 with a Noctua NH-D14 Dual Radiator CPU cooler (water and electrics don't mix in my book. Devil's work!)

RAM.PNG

I can't remember where I bought this RAM so I can't be more specific.

The question is 'Will this RAM be OK with the above mention kit? Or will upgrading it be necessary? If so, with what.

I'm not made of money
:smile:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I'm contemplating upgrading my motherboard and CPU. Mobo I've pretty much decided on is Gigabyte's GA-Z170 Sniper Intel Z170(Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX. The CPU will be an i7-6700K 4.0GHz(Skylake)LGA1151.

I can't remember where I bought this RAM so I can't be more specific.

The question is 'Will this RAM be OK with the above mention kit? Or will upgrading it be necessary? If so, with what.

I'm not made of money

:smile:

Nope you need DDR4 ram you have DDR3  also get an asus motherboard - had many Gigabytes - Rob suggested asus and he was spot on - never go back to gigabyte - bios is crap

Rich Sennett

I've had a couple of Gigabytes and been very happy with them. So the short answer is I need DDR4 as it's a DDR4 MB. Correct? :smile:

I've had a couple of Gigabytes and been very happy with them. So the short answer is I need DDR4 as it's a DDR4 MB. Correct? :smile:

Correct you need DDR4 ram 3 will not work and make sure you go to Gigabyte site and look at the supported ram list - I would never buy ram without that confirmation - asking for trouble if you dont do that

Rich Sennett

Duel channel.

GSkill Ripjaw V or Trident Z.

Designed especially with Skylake in mind and made with the best Samsung modules.

3200 MHZ are particularly favourable modules.

had many Gigabytes

never go back to gigabyte

Could not agree more with you, Rich. Their after-sales service is utter crap. Bought a graphics card in Ca. from them, sent it back as it was faulty with the complete retail box and they sent me a refurbished card in a plain box minus all the bits of the retail package, and that GPU was faulty too. I will never ever trust that brand again.

get an Asus motherboard

in all the years I've built systems, I've never had an issue with any single Asus MoBo.

Succumbing to peer pressure and after a bit of 'review seeking' I've decided on......

Asus Maximus VIII Hero. For Pete's sake don't tell me what a heap of crap that is! It'll be more computer than I'll ever need.

Ron,

I had a Noctua NH D-14 which I replaced with a Corsair liquid cooler because I was restricted to using low-profile RAM. Check the hight clearance.

JJ

I looked to the QVL from ASUS and Gigabyte they ar quite old, you can also check the G-Skill QVL.

generally to be safe 3200mhz 2x8gb G-skill is ok for all skylake, over 3600mhz its Booth the Mobo and CPU

example a bad memcontroller on a 6700k can be unstable at 3733mhz a good CPU is ok at +4133mhz and nothing you can tune its the cpu lotteria

Succumbing to peer pressure and after a bit of 'review seeking' I've decided on......

Asus Maximus VIII Hero. For Pete's sake don't tell me what a heap of crap that is! It'll be more computer than I'll ever need.

Great choice Ron -well done you wont regret it  :wink:

Could not agree more with you, Rich. Their after-sales service is utter crap. Bought a graphics card in Ca. from them, sent it back as it was faulty with the complete retail box and they sent me a refurbished card in a plain box minus all the bits of the retail package, and that GPU was faulty too. I will never ever trust that brand again.

in all the years I've built systems, I've never had an issue with any single Asus MoBo.

Sorry to hear that Rick - hope all is well

Rich Sennett

Ron,

I had a Noctua NH D-14 which I replaced with a Corsair liquid cooler because I was restricted to using low-profile RAM. Check the hight clearance.

JJ

Ah yes. I've read something about that. Can't remember where though. (Am I sure I'm capable of building another PC?)

Ron,

JJ

Not an issue. The NH-D14 was superseded by the NH-D15 which had better clearance. Now, Noctua have released the NH-D15S that has loads of ram clearance and is also slightly offset so more clearance between the heat-sink and upper most PCIe slot.

I should also add that super tall heats sinks on RAM is a pointless gimmick.

To reiterate... don't go for a D14, it's outdated. D15 or if you want maximum ram compatibility D15S. I went for the D15S. The "s" variant has only one 150mm fan, but don't let that put you off. One fan instead of two makes only two degrees difference under load. An extra fan can be added if desired.

Do read the other recent threads here in this forum. All this has been covered. You'll find the threads useful. 

I have, two to be precise. One was a system I built for a friend, the other motherboard failure was my system.

I prefer Asus too, having said that, all makes have issues from time to time. None are failure proof.

None are failure proof.

Quite true. Neither did I state that Asus mobos are infallible. Great info on that newer Noctua. I had to ensure that with my NH-D14 I bought low-profile Corsair sticks.