Hello. Very sorry if this is in the wrong place (Ill do better next time),

I want to know if I should upgrade from a AMD R9 290 (not x) to a GTX 1070 for Flight sim (FSX:SE and Primary P3D) I have an i7-4790k @ 4.0Ghz stock. Will this upgrade bring more performance to my sim. Someone over on the P3D forums recommended to another user to re size the window of P3D and see if the frame rate goes up. It didn't. I'm not sure if this is because of the AMD card or my CPU bottlenecking. I don't think its being bottlenecked, but I know the AMD card doesn't help. I am currently getting about 17-25FPS in the PMDG 737 NGX at KJFK, 

Thanks for the reply's in advance

Hello. Very sorry if this is in the wrong place (Ill do better next time),

I want to know if I should upgrade from a AMD R9 290 (not x) to a GTX 1070 for Flight sim (FSX:SE and Primary P3D) I have an i7-4790k @ 4.0Ghz stock. Will this upgrade bring more performance to my sim. Someone over on the P3D forums recommended to another user to re size the window of FSX and see if the frame rate goes up. It didn't. I'm not sure if this is because of the AMD card or my CPU bottlenecking. I don't think its being bottlenecked, but I know the AMD card doesn't help. I am currently getting about 17-25FPS in the PMDG 737 NGX at KJFK, 

Thanks for the reply's in advance

FSX/P3D are CPU dependent. There will never be a magic GPU pill to make it rock-solid fluid once loaded with 3rd party addons. I don' t think the GTX1080 will give any noticeable difference,2-3 extra fps maybe.

Agree with Vincent. The 290 actually performs very close to the GTX970 in benchmarks, and even though benchmarks don't necessarily translate into FSX/P3D performance, it's no slouch. 

The best thing you could do is overclock your 4790k to around 4.5ghz. That'd be about a 12.5% overclock, and you could expect your frames to increase by approximately the same percentage. However you do have to have the correct motherboard, proper cooling, and to do some research. I'm not sure if you've ever overclocked or have any knowledge of it, but it would definitely be the most effective

*I am not too familiar with the 4790k with respect to the default turbo boost. Under load it may be running more than 4.0ghz, and in that case overclocking to 4.5ghz would be less than a 12.5% increase, but it would provide some gains*

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600 

Right. Thanks for the help guys. I have heard AMD cards are terrible when it comes to FSX and P3D. Thats why I was wondering.

Does P3D disable Aero in Windows 7 and 8.1 like FSX does?  If so you might try putting the following into a batch (.bat) file and run it to see if it helps;

@echo off
net stop uxsms
net start uxsms

what it does is re-enable Aero, which helped me pick up a few more FPS in windowed mode.

BTW, I'm not so sure that 17-25FPS with the PMDG 737 at JFK is all that bad.  At least in FSX it's not.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

One thing I will add is switching to a Nvidia card might improve the fps slightly, but the biggest difference will be smoothness. It has to be something in the code or architecture.. way beyond my comprehension. I would still recommend switching to Nvidia at some point, and I'd love to have a GTX1070 haha. It's just for the sake of cost efficiency given current hardware, CPU performance is the biggest improvement

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600 

Yeah. I know a FS Youtuber had a i7-4790k overclocked a little (like .5Ghz) and a GTX 780Ti and was getting well over 40fps with tons of 3rd party addons. Which is what I hope to achieve.

Hi did some tests with 290x compared to a 980.

The diff in FSX was not big inside 1.5fps

In P3D V2-3 its was a bigger diff , bad drivers ? Something was not ok with the AMD card.

Go with Nvidia the 1080 looks good.

I have a R9 290 (not X) also. I guess what I am looking for is another "addon heavy simmer" that has the same CPU as me, no overclock

I will defiantly try that. The more processing power going to the CPU the better. Thanks