Sign in to follow this  
captain132

Gear warning silence button?

Why would you want to do that? That is a safety feature to prevent gear up landings. Just slow her up further out and you'll be fine.

Don

The warning silence is used in the real world. The warning is there to remind you if you forgot to lower the gear, but there are many instances where you would be in the same configuration that will activate the warning, but you are not about to touch down. Managing a late started descent or a descent through steep terrain to a low lying field are a few examples. Regardless, that is why the button is provided in the real world.

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

Make a copy of your aircraft.cfg.

Take a look at the aircraft.cfg for the [gear_warning_system] section.

Change gear_warnng_available=1 to gear_warning_available=0.

Done

--WH

I never flew an airplane that had a switch to kill the gear warning, short of popping a breaker. That goes from Arrows to Commanders to Kings. That was a while ago and maybe I have forgotten, but I don't think so.

Don

A gear horn mute was standard on a Learjet 20-30 series, otherwise it would drive you nuts when you are on extended vectors for approach or similar.They are usually based on a flap and throttle switch in conjunction with a squat switch.First flight out of sim school and ferrying our new aircraft home a flap switch failed and the gear warning horn sounded at completion of gear retraction.Had to listen to that for two hours enroute.We had been on the road for over two weeks and nobody wanted to back to the hotel again so grin and bear it!

I flew the Shrike and other model twin commanders but I do not recall a gear mute as an option, just add a touch of throttle to silence.

Gary Stewart

A lot, if not most aircraft with a retractable gear have a silence button for the warning horn. Certainly the King Air does and most airliners.

Look like the Commander does not.

Anyway here is a picture of the button on a King-Air. Its at the bottom right of the gear lever.

ScreenShot00010.jpg

Hi Folks,

I've seen more than one real world cockpit video of GA planes doing a gear up - the gear horn blaring through the whole approach - it truly makes you wonder...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I never flew an airplane that had a switch to kill the gear warning, short of popping a breaker. That goes from Arrows to Commanders to Kings. That was a while ago and maybe I have forgotten, but I don't think so.

Don

Every King Air, Lear, or Gulfstream that I have ever flown has one. Doesn't look like the Commander does though. At least it is somewhat muted and not so loud as to be distracting, plus it isn't set so high that it is nearly impossible to silence it by adding power while still keeping within the flight profile. I am really liking this Shrike. I think it's the best release by Carenado yet :)

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

I flew a King A90 and it didn't have them. The 500 Commanders didn't nor did the Aztecs, Barons and Queens. Perhaps newer versions did. I am talking 35-40 years ago. I agree - this is a nice plane. Once the few bugs are ironed out, which v1.1 did a nice job of, it will be even nicer. I've flown a 680 - I wish they would stretch this a little and make one. :) Some nice repaints coming along as well. Check out the Commander thread at Sim Outhouse.

Don

Instead of eliminating the warning sound you can make it turn on only when you throttle back allmost completely by doing the following:

Go into your Aircraft .cfg.and find the following section: [gear_warning_system] once there you can change the value at pct_throttle_limit=0.37 to what ever works for you.

In my case I have it at 0.15 and now I can throttle back to allmost idle before the warning sound comes on! 

I'm not sure what the real airplane is like but slowing down while descending with out having the warning sound come on was very difficult on the original setting!