Sign in to follow this  
captain_adf

Challenging weather for the NGX

Captains,

I'm looking to find some dates, times, and locations to plug into ASN's Historical Weather to make for a good weather challenge in the NGX.  Mainly I'm interested in approaches, but nasty weather on takeoff or enroute would be fun too.  Of course, I don't want to try something where in the real world the pilot would divert to the alternate so don't send me into a tropical cyclone that would close down the airport!

Day or night, anywhere in the world, any season.  Reach back into your logbooks or just some dates scribbled on your calendar when the situation got ugly near your local airport.  Rain, snow, gusty winds, fog, let me at 'em!

Cheers!

Andrew Farmer

My flight sim blog: Fly, Farmer, Fly!

I noticed ASN doesn't provide realistic layer thickness. For example, a 1000 overcast 5000 thick only displays a few thousand thick. Therefore, I started manually setting up the weather at destination within 40 nm when I want to spend some time in the cloud and compensate for the thin layers by adding layers.  You can do this one step further, if you want a challenging approach just find an IAP that looks interesting and then dial in the weather to minimums and away you go.

One of my favs in the NGX in the past year was PANC RNP33 approach from IAF HOPER at minimums. It's interesting because the transition from HOPER to the FAF is a 330 deg descending loop, and once you roll out on final course you are at FAF and the REILS (only approach lighting) seem to appear at the last moment before TOGA.  The NGX is great for these RNP approaches using the IAN option, just wish we had something lower than RNP 0.30.

EDIT:  The mile high rocks nearby on two sides add color to the terrain display.

Dan Downs KCRP

You do know that ASN has a search function, don't you?

I actually did not! I will have to try that out, thanks for the tip!

Still, I'd love to hear from anyone who has a first hand pirep they would recommend to make for an interesting flight.

Andrew Farmer

My flight sim blog: Fly, Farmer, Fly!

Day or night, anywhere in the world, any season. Reach back into your logbooks or just some dates scribbled on your calendar when the situation got ugly near your local airport. Rain, snow, gusty winds, fog, let me at 'em!

Just shot one with the 777 but weather doesn't change with aircraft type.  RJAA 0535Z 27 May 2016.  Weather was just above Cat 1 mins for Rnw 34L at winds VRB02 vis 6000m Few002 Bkn012. Agree, these are really fun to handfly.  Got the approach lights just before decision height.

Dan Downs KCRP