Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

What Bird am I Flying ?

Guest Peter Sidoli

It is strange but since the release of the PMDG 747 I have been using this aircraft on low fuel low pax for short hops.Why is that strange other than the short hop bits :-)The PMDG reminds me so much of the Citation Bravo I was flying not very long ago.No FS business jet available gives me the sensation and character of being in the Citation Bravo.No FS business jet has the functionality.Okay of course all the numbers are way off on the 747 but imagine Primus 1000 as fitted to the Bravo and the sensation flying the 747 is very close to the real world Bravo in feel.I ask PMDG, Level D, Aeroworx PIC or anyone else who wants and is capable of building a business jet A la PMDG 747 to go ahead and build one instead of churning out yet another heavy :-)I dont have anything against another heavy but would like to see some creme de la creme light jets, fully functional smooth and state of the art.Peterhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/130380.jpg

Guest Peter Sidoli

I have a lot of respect for the creators of the ERJ which I already have.The ERJ is still a fairly largish "people" jet rather than a personal/company aircraft.My problem has always been the actual feel of many FS aircraft which are still much too twitchy.I would really love to stick a lot of FS pilots in a real aircraft so that you can feel just how heavy rotation is even in something like the Bravo or even a Citation 2.Feel how sluggish they are at slower speeds, how reluctant they are to move from trimmed state.The VC panel views and perspective should be large, bold and clear as with the PMDG747 and most of all like the PMDG747 and Level D using the fast guage technology.Even in a light jet you get a feeling of mass and weight which somehow isnt conveyed in FS.Yes if Feel there Do a business Jet to compete in quality, smoothness and functionality to PMDG and level D "GREAT" ;-)peter

Your point is well taken. I am not a real world jet pilot but even the Piper Arrow I fly in real life feels pretty solid and heavy. Well, along the line of your comparison I'd say it feels like...at least B200 in the sim in terms of weight and response.I think a large part of it is the input force required for the controls. In real aircraft you are actually controling all the surfaces with your input and you need to use some force unless it's an airbus I guess. For the sim, we essentially just push and pull a spring loaded mechanism. My CH yoke feels nowhere as heavy as even a real C152 yoke.Latency and sensitiveness of aircraft response to control input also contribute to the feels of heaviness. DF727 feels very heavy to me because of its characteristics in those attributes while SSW A310 feels more like a jet fighter to me. And I agree that in general FS aircrafts are overly sensitive to control inputs. The default Baron is a good example.Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Guest Peter Sidoli

Jason My point :-) to get something closer to a light biz jet I have to fly the 747 ;-)If I take the PMDG 747, change the panel and speed/climb numbers to a Citation Bravo then I am a "happier" bunny ;-)same controls are operating the PMDG 747Peter

Totally agree with the need for top of the line offerings on Exec./Business Jets.CRJ's or ERJ's by their titles even imply a little more aircraft than I think most of us think about in this catagory (Although they are fine contributions - no bad mouthing intended!)The Eaglesoft Citation group is IMHO about the best offering at the present time.If I understand correctly, part of the problem for some which we simmers would love to have is permission and authorization by the real world manufacturers (i.e. Gulfstream Doggone it!). Certainly this is their right, but I have never quite understood the motivation. I would think it would simply be cheap back door advertising pointed toward anybody interested in aviation that frequents the sim community. Beneath their dignity I guess.Happy Flying:RTH

Guest Peter Sidoli

>The Eaglesoft Citation group is IMHO about the best offering at the present time.

Agreed Peter:Of course as you implied, the Eaglesoft fleet is not in the same price range as PMDG or Level D either (very appropriately priced IMHO). Originally however, I was under the impression that there was some thought by Eaglesoft for such a dandy upgrade (i.e. Citation X with a full blown FMC) but somehow it has not happened so far. If I remember correctly from the getgo, Eaglesoft up front said that assuming that it ever did come to pass, this would be a somewhat costly addition with an addon price required. Maybe it is still in the works and we will get a pleasant surprise one of these days. Seems to me they would rule the roost for a while if they could supply such a bird as long as the added price for such an upgrade was proportional to make the total cost in line with other offerings which have proved to be so popular and well received (by many of us at least).Possibly Eaglesoft might give us a reply to your post relative to this possiblility in the future. Happy flying:RTH