Sign in to follow this  
Tight Git

Where is the manual?

It's the official website that says:

You can install the product by clicking the "DIRECT INSTALL" button under your product in VFXCentral.

But there is no button !

My dealer (SimMarket) says to download a zip file from the developer, but there isn't one...

No wonder I have so little hair left !

Yes, I suppose the next step is to contact Old Prop Support but, if only they'd get their act together, all this hassle wouldn't be necessary.

Thanks again for your interest and happy landings. :smile:

I have rebooted in safe mode to grab these screenshots as it's the only way VFXCentral will run for me.

In the first shot I have highlighted the button to press which will lead you to the screen shown in the second shot with the install button highlighted.

The button on the first screen launches the manual in your default browser.

If you do not see these screens or if yours are different you may need to activate your product using the Activate a serial number button on the first screen

1.jpg

208bfc.jpg

Sorry Glynn, you must think me really thick, but I still don't see an install button!

Your second screen shot highlights Uninstall and Apply only.

The developer's website says there should be a button marked "Direct Install".

Where is this, please?

There is no direct install button on my version either, have you tried clicking on the areas I outlined?

If you did what did you see.

First steps...

Make sure you have activated your serial and that PrecipitFX shows up as in the first screenshot.

Click the red square highlighted in the first shot.

In the second screen select your options and click on apply.

Please tell me what you see on your screen (is it the same as mine) you are not giving us much to work with here.

Yes, I'm getting the same screens as you when I log into VFX Central.

I obviously haven't tried the Uninstall button, but clicking on Apply does nothing as there's nothing installed to modify!

(We established that back in Posts 4,5 and 6 with no PrecipitFX entry in the Win7 Control Panel.)

Sorry this is taking so long.

I'm sure you have better things to do on a Sunday afternoon!

When you open VFX central do you get a box that says "Activate a serial number". You have to start there,,  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Ok it's getting a bit too complicated in here...

Install instructions are clear and easy to find on our website: https://fsfxpackages.com/en/install/

If you see Modify/Uninstall, it means that the product is installed on your simulator.

The user Manual is located in your user account as well as the "i" icon in VFXCentral.

What are leading you to believe that the product is not installed properly?

What could be done in the user interfact for you to better see if the product is installed or not?

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Good morning Sir, and thank you for your intervention.

To summarise my problem:

How do I install your product and how do I know it's installed.

You say: "Install instructions are clear and easy to find on our website: https://fsfxpackages.com/en/install/"

Clear and easy to find, yes.

Correct, apparently not!

In Section 4 it states:

"You can install the product by clicking the "DIRECT INSTALL" button under your product in VFXCentral. You will then be able to configure the product to your liking"

Well, I spent the whole of yesterday afternoon looking for this "Direct Install" button but it doesn't seem to exist!

Glynn, who seems to know what he's talking about, can't find it either! (Post 19).

Where is this mysterious button, please?

Also, how do I know your product is installed and working properly?

I did a test flight from EGKK to LFPG and frankly couldn't see any difference!

So, I looked in Win7 Control Panel, expecting to see PrecipitFX in the Programs/uninstall a program list, but it wasn't there.

But Bobsk8 confirms it should be there (Post 4).

So, I've been tearing out what little hair I have left and have been left wondering if all this effort is worth it.

I'm sure this is all easy stuff for a computer expert like yourself, but you really should make the installation procedure much more straightforward for us oldies!

Many thanks. 

"You can install the product by clicking the "DIRECT INSTALL" button under your product in VFXCentral. You will then be able to configure the product to your liking"

This is true when the product is uninstalled.

When you add a serial number in VFXCentral, we bring you straight into the Install Screen where you can select the options.

We figured that users would know that the product is installed after selecting the product's options, pressing the Apply button and being presented with a confirmation that the product's installation was successfully completed.

When the product is installed, the "Direct Install" button becomes a "Modify/Uninstall" allowing you to Modify or Uninstall the currently Installed product.

Also, how do I know your product is installed and working properly?

Every effect is described in the User Manual along with a description of when you can expect the effect to show

https://fsfxpackages.com/documents/manuals/PrecipitFX.pdf

I did a test flight from EGKK to LFPG and frankly couldn't see any difference!

What differences were are you expecting and in what conditions?

So, I looked in Win7 Control Panel, expecting to see PrecipitFX in the Programs/uninstall a program list, but it wasn't there

PrecipitFX no longer shows in the Windows Control Panel. It was present for users with the old PrecipitFX installer.

To uninstall any of our products, you have to go through VFXCentral by clicking the "Modify/Uninstall" button.

I'm sure this is all easy stuff for a computer expert like yourself, but you really should make the installation procedure much more straightforward for us oldies!

We are trying to make the install process as simple as possible. If you have any suggestions on how we could make it better, we are here to listen!

I hope this clarifies a lot of things.

Regards,

Keven

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Hello again and many thanks for clearing up my mis-understandings.

I certainly think you should consider changing the wording in your installation instructions.

The bit about the Direct Install Button simply isn't correct as it stands.

I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the box these days, but nobody else on the forum could provide an explanation, so perhaps this is causing more confusion than you realise.

As for what to expect, it seems that I need to fly in inclement weather in order to get the benefit of your added effects.

I use ActiveSky Next and yesterday was one of the few clear days we've had in these parts recently.

I'll try again tomorrow, when thunderstorms and heavy rain are forecast over Western Europe.

Thanks again for your assistance and best wishes to all at FSFX Packages. :smile:

Thank you for your feedback and patience, we will check on possible improvements to the UI and on instructions on the website.

Let me know if the product works properly!

Regards,

Keven

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Same problem here Nice big fat Chaseplane but no PrecipitFX. At least I got a $4 discount buying them together!

I was going to get 737 immersion but *&^%$*^* to it,

Just click on the Modify/Uninstall and it should install on your aircraft.  It does for this pensioner/stroke survivor (with some brain damage).