Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Best helicopter in FS9 and/or FSX for the Himalayas?

Having visited Mt Everest a couple of times (and it not being very likely I'll get there again, any time soon at least!) I love to fly around that part of Nepal/India/China in FS9 or FSX. I have the Aerosoft Lukla scenery - and the area around Mt Everest looks good - but it's hard to find a (realistic) aircraft or helicopter that will cope up there.

I suppose decreased power with reduced air pressure at altitude is modelled in both FS9 and FSX? Inasmuch as before I even get to Everest base camp I have sunk to the ground, exhausted (the helicopter has, I mean!) . There's never enough power. I know (of course) that it is much harder to fly in that thin air, but the helicopters I have tried thus far are a little too feeble -  real world helicopters can and do make it to altitudes well above what I am able to achieve in FSX or FS9. So...

1. Can anyone recommend a suitable helicopter for high mountain flying? Something for FS9 and for FSX (can be different for each of course!) that has sufficient power to fly to around 23,000' around the mountains. That, I think, is realistic, if a maximum.

2. I have made a (fictional) repaint of an FSX Augusta Westland EH101 in (vaguely) Himalayan Rescue Association colours, just for my own use. Looks good up there, but it's too feeble - I can't get it up into the mountains, as the real-world rescue services do. What's the best way, tweak-wise, to give it, not more 'speed' per se, but more raw power and lift at those altitudes? I am much more familiar with planes in this respect - not sure what settings to change with a helicopter, in either the aircraft.cfg or the .air file.

Been reading forums and threads but not really found the solution yet, so pointers welcome.

Thanks.

I repainted the Virtuavia Westland Merlin, in a fictional Himalayan Rescue Association livery - which is OK in FS9 and should serve the purpose...

HRA.jpg

Would still like to know what values to tweak to increase power for the FSX model though ...

Thanks. I guess that's from the Aircraft Container SDK - I didn't think to look there for helicopters!