Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Helicopter Hell!

Hi,

I can give more details of course, but to start simple - does anyone recognise these problems, which I have been struggling with literally for years:

1. A helicopter (including the default Bell 206b) will make no engine/rotor sounds unless you start a flight from the default Cessna, with engines running moreover. Not all my installed helicopters have this problem, but a good number.

2. The helicopter (like the Bell 412 from HoverControl) will start and I get sounds, but when I increase the throttle to lift off, the rotors stop. As I pull the throttle back to idle, they start up again. Same if I press F4. Only when I press F1 do the rotors turn normally.

3. The engines & rotors restart every time you switch between cockpit and spot view.

I have in the past wasted so many hours Googling and changing settings in the aircraft.cfg files, but to no avail.

if anyone can help, I'd be very glad!

thanks.

Bit of extra info... I start the flight with the default Cessna, then switch to the helicopter (the AS-350 is one that doesn't work), turn on batteries and avionics (or I can do it from the Cessna - no difference in the result) and start the engines. The rotors start but slow and stop as I increase throttle. I have a gauge which mimics Ctrl+Shift+F4 (Mixture Rich), but that doesn't help. If I reload the helicopter however, then it works, but only when the engines are attempting to start. If I reload the a/c with the starters off, then I can't get the engines going whether I reload or not

But why must I load it a second time to get the engines working? Does it make any sense? There must be some way to avoid the necessity for that.. And why do some helicopters start up with no problem (like my Bell 202 addon) whilst others won't?

I have the same problem.  Never have been able to start choppers from cold and dark.  Seems like they need to idle and warm up before they can build rotor rpms.  I think you have  pull or rotate the collective lever also.

You have confirmed that which I have long suspected ..... i.e. ...... helicopters were never meant to fly.

• Upvote 1

Nar!!  Negative view!!  If the bumble bee can fly then so can helicopters unless, of course, the designers have used the bumble bee's .air file as a basis to work on!!

Dijvid

The helicopters are much more awkward about panel and sound combinations - I think it's that which stops them starting up properly. I kind of sorted this out by using a panel (with HUD) that I know works, but this is one of those cases where you leave FS9 working one week, come back to fly the same chopper the next, and it won't start again. No wonder I rarely fly them!