Sign in to follow this  
PDX Flyer

Help in buying 27 inch 2560x1440 monitor for P3D

If anyone has experience or suggestions, they would be appreciated.  I own a 4770K overclocked to 4.4 and a GTX 970 GPU.

I am somewhat confused about the following: 60mhz vs. 140mhz; g-sync vs v-sync; response time, brands, etc.  If necessary, I am willing to spend up to $550, although would prefer a lower price. 

The main reason for the monitor is P3D, photograph editing, and the internet.  I don't want to overspend, but do want to get the best quality for my uses, primarily P3D.

Thanks, PDX

The best advise that I can give you is that right now 30hz is preferable for P3D. If you can find something that does 40hz and 50hz too, that's great. As thing stand now I don't think G-sync will offer you smoothness with P3D. V-sync will provided you get fps higher than your refresh rate frame set in P3D display setting, set to unlimited. Of Course all that other good stuff is great for other games! :-)

Go bigger.  43" 4K monitor is awesome and within your budget.  I can do 30 or 60 hz, but usually just leave it at 30.

• Upvote 2

I faced the same decision 6 months ago and did some research.

Finally I decided to buy the Dell U2715H.

Never regetted it a single moment, geat monitor.

• Upvote 1

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Go bigger.  43" 4K monitor is awesome and within your budget.  I can do 30 or 60 hz, but usually just leave it at 30.

How small does the print look when surfing the internet on your monitor.  I have heard some folks say it is too small.

I faced the same decision 6 months ago and did some research.

Finally I decided to buy the Dell U2715H.

Never regetted it a single moment, geat monitor.

Thanks for your response.  This is one model I was looking at.

The best advise that I can give you is that right now 30hz is preferable for P3D. If you can find something that does 40hz and 50hz too, that's great. As thing stand now I don't think G-sync will offer you smoothness with P3D.

Good advice on the hz rating.

Print size looks exactly the same size as it did on my 24" monitor previously.  Basically, it's the equivalent of having 4 23" 1920x1080 monitors side by side without a bezel.

It does take a bit of getting used to sitting directly in front of a huge monitor.  In fact, at first I almost returned it, but I tried it for a week and now wouldn't go back to anything smaller.

How small does the print look when surfing the internet on your monitor.  I have heard some folks say it is too small.

If you're concerned about text size, a 27" 2560x1440 monitor may not be for you. I recently upgraded and found that whilst the image was excellent, the text on the 27" was just too small for me. I settled on a 32" 2560x1440 and couldn't be more pleased - great image and decent text size.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I don't know if this is a good solution, but I am now considering the BenQ VG278HE Gaming monitor.  It is 1920x1080, has 1ms response time.  It is $260 and has among the highest ratings I have seen for a monitor on Amazon.  I think a 32 inch monitor is just too big for me.

I don't know if this is a good solution, but I am now considering the BenQ VG278HE Gaming monitor.  It is 1920x1080, has 1ms response time.  It is $260 and has among the highest ratings I have seen for a monitor on Amazon.  I think a 32 inch monitor is just too big for me.

Let me know if you get the BenQ. Looking to replace my 7 year old Samsung monitor.

I don't know if this is a good solution, but I am now considering the BenQ VG278HE Gaming monitor. It is 1920x1080, has 1ms response time. It is $260 and has among the highest ratings I have seen for a monitor on Amazon. I think a 32 inch monitor is just too big for me.

Do you mean the ASUS VG278HE? It's quite an old monitor now (2012) and 144Hz refresh rate is overkill, even for first-person-shooters and definitely if you just use it for FSX/P3D. The panel is a TN which tends not to look as good as other panel technologies such as IPS or MVA. It's also not the best for colour critical work so may not suit photo editing. It's glossy as well which was a show-stopper for me when I upgraded. You may find with 27", 1920x1080 (I looked at these as well when I bought my new monitor) you get the opposite effect to 27", 2560x1440 - the image can look a little pixellated and the text looks a bit big (to me). 24" seems to be the sweet spot for 1920x1080.

With regards to 32" monitors, mine looked big initially but I adjusted to it in a very short time. Also, it's only 9-10cm wider than most 27" monitors.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Do you mean the ASUS VG278HE? It's quite an old monitor now

My mistake.  What I meant was the BenQ RL2755HM.  But the rest of what you said makes a lot of sense,  Do you mind me asking what brand and model 32 inch did you buy?

I will have to admit, this is a very confusing decision for me.

If you want less expensive, I just got one of these not long ago:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/403608/PB278Q_27_WQHD_LED_Monitor

Sure, it's not the sexiest, but it's worlds above the 24" 1920x1080 I was using.  It's a great monitor for the money.  Sure if I had more $$ I'd buy nicer, but this one is pretty solid for the money and I'm happy I got it.

My mistake.  What I meant was the BenQ RL2755HM.  But the rest of what you said makes a lot of sense,  Do you mind me asking what brand and model 32 inch did you buy?

I will have to admit, this is a very confusing decision for me.

I feel for you. I went through the same process myself. I've got an AOC Q3277PQU and would highly recommend it. I bought it in the UK for £323 (about $470) but it seems to be quite expensive in the US ($879 on Newegg). The BenQ BL3200PT has the same panel and gets good reviews - you should be able to get it for around $500.

The BenQ BL3200PT has the same panel and gets good reviews - you should be able to get it for around $500.

Well Vortex, I just pressed by buy button on Amazon and bought the BenQ 32 inch BL3200PT. I am nervous that it might be too big, but figured that I am not getting any younger, and when it comes to font size, as they say in Texas, bigger is better. It is being delivered tomorrow. Will update you next week on my progress with it.

I can/t thank you enough for your input. I really spent a lot of time reviewing all of my choices. There are just so many variables that go into this decision.

Thank You! And Happy Flying!

Let me know if you get the BenQ. Looking to replace my 7 year old Samsung monitor.

Please see my prior comment to Vortex.