Sign in to follow this  
lsummer101

Weather upload question

To all the experts out there I thank you in advance for your help As this old guy is new to most of this.. I am wondering where the FMC pulls the Descent forecast from.  I am able to get wind upload no issue but the decent forecast is invalid.  I am running the following 

P3D 3.2xx

ASN on network 

PMDG 777 200/300

Thanks Lee Summer 

I am wondering where the FMC pulls the Descent forecast from.

If ASN doesn't have your flight plan, then it doesn't know where you're going, and cannot provide you wind information for an unknown location. The best way to set this up so that you save a ton of work is outlined in Tutorial #1.5:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/PMDG_Downloads/file_library/documentation/PMDG-777-Tutorial-1.5.zip

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyle, i am having an issue with ASN on the network it is connecting fine but the Flight plan is not able to load into ASN.  I was working on fix with the great team at HiFI but lost touch when work got in the way.  I will check out the Tutorial either way i i really enjoyed the first one. 

Thanks Kyle, i am having an issue with ASN on the network it is connecting fine but the Flight plan is not able to load into ASN.  I was working on fix with the great team at HiFI but lost touch when work got in the way.  I will check out the Tutorial either way i i really enjoyed the first one. 

If ASN isn't connecting up properly over the network, it sounds like you didn't set up your folder sharing properly. This will obviously prevent the forecast function from getting data.

Either way, having operated ASN over the network and now on my sim rig, I found that the performance "savings" is slight at best. I think it's more for setting up an instructor station, and less for performance savings. Not sure of your reasons, but you might want to consider bringing it over to the sim rig if your only reason is to help performance.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle I do agree there is not much in FPS difference at all but i did find through trial and error and monitoring with Process lasso that ASN is a bit of a CPU hog I the second computer sitting here doing nothing so i made the attempt to get it to work and it seems to be working fine for weather and the radar seems to be working well. Its very strange as i gave permission to every folder i could find and then i made the drives network drives just to be sure. I am in contact with Dave Opper from HiFi and he has been very helpful. but they cant figure out the issue. I am far from a Tech guy but i learn fast for an old guy. if can understand how the flight plan is sent to to ASN i am sure I can resolve the issue.  I simply love the 777 and have a good buddy who flys for american (773) and he has been sending Me tons of info on this amazing girl.  you guys really nailed it as most of the stuff we talk about works in the sim. 

Are there any more tutorials that you guys have written? 

Thanks for the Info and great Videos very informative for a total novice like me. 

Lee Summer  

ASN is a bit of a CPU hog
It is. I have seen it go as high as 650MB in memory usage. However, the memory it uses is not within the 4GB VAS limit. ASN operates outside of the VAS limit. The weather it creates may effect VAS but that will happen if it's on your main FSX computer or networked from your second computer. Your I7 4700K at 4.7ghz should handle ASN with no problem.

Kyle I do agree there is not much in FPS difference at all but i did find through trial and error and monitoring with Process lasso that ASN is a bit of a CPU hog I the second computer sitting here doing nothing so i made the attempt to get it to work and it seems to be working fine for weather and the radar seems to be working well.

It might be a CPU hog, but if you have a multi-core, since FSX is poorly optimized for multi-core, the other cores will be largely untasked. As such, ASN will be running on another core, which is one of the reasons you're not seeing an FPS hit.

Are there any more tutorials that you guys have written? 

For the aircraft?

There's one that got installed on your system when you installed the aircraft - Tutorial #1. Start > All Programs/Apps > PMDG Simulations.

There's also one on the site on the downloads > documents page - Tutorial #1.5.

Kyle Rodgers