Sign in to follow this  
Arawn

VOR Question: takeoff to first VOR

Hi guys,

So I want to try to fly using VOR so I used SkyVector to create a flight plan but I realized I have a question or two. 

My flight plan is: KHQM -> HQM -> V27 -> AST -> KAST

How would you guys go about flying this route? Say you have to takeoff from runway 06: do you fly directly over the HQM VOR or would you turn and intercept the V27 airway? 

Also, on the takeoff minimums page at KHQM for departing procedure it says: TAKEOFF MINIMUMS: Rwy 6, 600-2 or std. with a min. climb of 260' per NM to 600. DEPARTURE PROCEDURE: Rwy 6, climbing right turn heading 110°:

Can someone explain to me what "600-2 or std" means? And if you were flying out in real life at what point would you turn right heading 110?

Sorry for all of the questions and thanks for any help! I'd post pictures but alas I don't know. I saved a screenshot of my SkyVector but I can't figure out how to post it in the forum.

Thank you.

It's a big diff. if you are flying IFR or VFR. I'm guessing you will be VFR?

It's a big diff. if you are flying IFR or VFR. I'm guessing you will be VFR?

Yeah, VFR. 

Also: on SkyVector where it says "Spd" does that mean IAS, TAS or GS?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that's TAS

As for the route, yeah just depart and intercept the victor airway eastbound. Or if you want fly to the HQM VORTAC then course reversal back east to the airway

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Can someone explain to me what "600-2 or std" means? And if you were flying out in real life at what point would you turn right heading 110?

600-2 are the non-standard departure minimums: 600' ceiling (AGL) and 2 miles visibility.  These nomally only apply to commercial operators (part 121 or part 135).  Standard minimums could also be used (1 mile visibility or 5000' RVR for single/twin engine aircraft) as long as you can climb at 260' per nautical mile.  Non-commercial operators (part 91) do not have any departure minimums... but common sense should still be used.

It is common to begin the turn at the departure end of the runway unless some other restriction is published.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure that's TAS

As for the route, yeah just depart and intercept the victor airway eastbound. Or if you want fly to the HQM VORTAC then course reversal back east to the airway

Thank you for the response. I'm a little confused about one thing: wouldn't I be intercepting the victor airway westbound? If I take off from Runway 6 wouldn't I turn and intercept the airway coming from the east?

I'm probably confused about something...

600-2 are the non-standard departure minimums: 600' ceiling (AGL) and 2 miles visibility.  These nomally only apply to commercial operators (part 121 or part 135).  Standard minimums could also be used (1 mile visibility or 5000' RVR for single/twin engine aircraft) as long as you can climb at 260' per nautical mile.  Non-commercial operators (part 91) do not have any departure minimums... but common sense should still be used.

It is common to begin the turn at the departure end of the runway unless some other restriction is published.

Thank you!

Ooops my brain was thinking the airway eastbound towards SEA

If you departed Ry 6 and you're going to AST (not sea lol), you'd follow the ODP/DP guidance in Takeoff Minimums (https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1606/pdf/NW1TO.PDF) that says:

Rwy 6, climbing right turn heading 110°: Rwy 24, climb runway heading. All aircraft climb to 600 continue climb on course.

So once on a 110 heading, continue climb and passing 600 ft you could turn right to a 180 heading to intercept the airway...  or you could make a right turn back towards the HQM vortac and then proceed SE bound on the airway.

note: all the above assume a real world IFR flight plan, and weather is IMC.  If you're VMC you don't have to follow the ODP you can just proceed on course typically after 400 ft AGL.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |