Sign in to follow this  
ozflyer

Taxi and Landing lights not visible in view

Hi,

I have the 777-300ER.

I have noticed that when I get the external forward view by pressing F9 key, the ground in front of the aircraft is not illuminated by taxi or landing lights.

But using spot view and from the cockpit the ground is illuminated by the lights.

Is this a bug, limitation or a configuration/setup issue?

My specs in the signature below.

Many thanks

Is this a bug, limitation or a configuration/setup issue?

Turn off DX10 and report back.

Kyle Rodgers

I have noticed that when I get the external forward view by pressing F9 key, the ground in front of the aircraft is not illuminated by taxi or landing lights.

I think this is normal.  Neither the taxi nor landing lights splash work in the forward view.  I'm only using the VC when taxiing so I often forget this little quirk.

Dan Downs KCRP

Can this be fixed ?

This is kinda intentional. In the daytime, the taxi and landing lights will be barely visible in real life (obviously because of the sun). PMDG develops their aircraft to reflect this, unlike most other flight sim developers that just "project" a light texture in front of the aircraft.

I can see the taxi lights on the ground from the forward-looking VC view (F9) in both the 200LR & 300ER, but they are rather faint.

I can see the landing lights in the same view just fine for both models.

I tried unchecking FSX>Settings>Display>Aircraft>Aircraft-Landing-Lights-Illuminate-Ground but it didn't make any difference.  However I didn't reload FSX after unchecking so perhaps that is something to make sure is checked.

I used FSX Steam.  I don't use DX10.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I don't get them in dx9 either.

Maybe they are rather faint. How can I increase their intensity.

It is difficult taxiing at night in the forward view without the ground in front of you lit up.

Surprised others have not raised this before.

It is difficult taxiing at night in the forward view without the ground in front of you lit up.

Surprised others have not raised this before.

Thinking back, for taxiing, I think the taxiway lighting is more-or-less adequate in most airports so I didn't really notice.  On the runway, the landing lights are adequate for taking off and landing.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Thinking back, for taxiing, I think the taxiway lighting is more-or-less adequate in most airports so I didn't really notice.  On the runway, the landing lights are adequate for taking off and landing.

Mike

Mike - I usually switch back to VC cockpit view before I enter the runway close to the holding point so I am good from then on...

Its from push back to rwy hold ding point I use the forward view for taxing, and from runway exit back to the gate.

From my cockpit view, landing lights and taxi lights sufficiently illuminate the ground.

I think this is something that pmdg should look into, I am sure many use the forward view while taxiing.

Some airport scenery does not have lot of lighting, freeware are worse and some pay ware as well.

Would love to get a fix for this...

I think this is something that pmdg should look into, I am sure many use the forward view while taxiing.

Not really.  This is the first thread on this topic I've seen in a couple of years at least.  Why not stay in the VC?  I like seeing the N1 dial and ground speed while I am taxing, I usually fly with zoom at .80 and taxi at zoom .70 to increase my field of view.

Dan Downs KCRP

I stay in the VC with zoom set at 0.60.

However it difficult to read taxiway markers from the cockpit, so I use the forward view.