Sign in to follow this  
dobson999

FSx or FSX STEAM

I have a dilema. My trusty DELL XPS ON VISTA and FS9 has bit the dust. I had everything. Airports, Scenery Addons and loads of addon aircraft.

i am about to purchase an all singing all dancing gaming desktop pureley for FSX......but I want some feedback before I spent thousands.

Are their many issues with running either on Win 10?

I want to use my original German Airports Add ons from Aerosoft as well as the UK Airports Newcastle / Belfast Heathrow / Gatwick Birmingham / Bristol etc. i also intend re purchasing iflys 737 and 747 and PMDG MD11 and 777 with Aerosoft Airbus with the relevant FS2CREW.....plus the traffic plus the scenery. the price is going to hurt so I want to know being a newbee to FSX ( FS9 since launch) which is better and has anyone had ANY advice. which is advised or does it not matter? thank you

FSX SE for several reasons; most importantly are availability, pricing and VAS optimization.  To that point, have you researched how much a boxed version of FSX will cost you ($170.00)? You can get Steam edition for $5; it already contains the necessary tweaks and its so easy to install  Honestly, if you're starting from the ground up, this isn't even a debate.  Get the Steam version for a few dollars and wait to see what DTG releases later this year.  If the DTG rendition doesn't meet your sim needs, make the plunge to P3D.  

Matt King

Steam.  No regrets after I purchased this.  It is very much optimized over the boxed FSX. 

Guys...Thanks, I didnt realise just how much FSX was on disc.

I am looking at the following spec, what do you think?

WINDOWS 10 ( 64 BIT)

INTEL CORE i5-4460 Processor

8GB MEMORY

NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980

1TB HARD DRIVE & 120GB SSD

You're barely going to be able to run it. :wink:

That should be more than enough to run FSX smoothly.

what do you think

You'll be fine; actually, FSX out of the box is super smooth (80 - 100 FPS).  It's only when we start to add layers upon layers of addons that it slows down.  Again, you should be fine....

Matt King

LOL. Thanks Kevin. I soon as I get it and get FSX steam on it I am purchasing the IFLY 737 and 747 and PMDG 777....they look awesome.

In my experience having a good cooling system that allows your CPU to run continuously at optimum speed is key. No point having a decent processor that keeps overheating and throttling back to cool down.

As for your planned addons, I can only speak for the PMDG 777 and while you would expect performance to drop in such a complex aircraft, I find it to be on of the better addon aircraft in terms of not killing framerate. Yes, your framerate will be less than say any of the default aircraft, but this one is surprisingly easier than I thought it would be. 

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Well, without going into it....but the computer I purchased went straight back to the store after a plethora of issues....not the place to throw mud suffice to say I have looked around and saw the following XPS, which funnily enough will be replacing my trusty Dell XPS 630I....I would be grateful if the experts amongst you could tell me if the spec is good enough for running FSX smoothly with all of the usual add-ons such as scenery, airports, traffic etc.

Processor

6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)

Operating System

Windows 10 Home (64Bit)

Memory*

16GB DDR4 (2x8GB)

Hard Drive

2TB 7.2k HDD + 32GB SSD cache

Video Card

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 745 4GB DDR3

Keyboard

Dell Multimedia Keyboard-KB216 - UK (QWERTY) - Black

Optical Drive

DVD RW

Base

BASE,MNTW,XPS,8900,BTX

Ports

Front

2 USB 2.0 Ports (Top)

2 USB 3.0 Ports

1 Mic-in

1 Headphone

1 Media Card Reader (MCR 19:1)

1 Powered USB Charging when system off (Top)

Rear

1 HDMI

1 Display Port

1 RJ-45 (10/100/1000Base)

1 Audio (7.1 channel (6 Jack) Premium Audio Performance)

1 Mic

1 Line-in

4 USB 3.0 ports

2 USB 2.0 ports

Slots

4 DIMMs

1 19 in 1 Card Reader (CF Type I, CF Type II, Micro drive, mini SD, MMC, MMC mobile, MMC plus, MS, MS Pro, MS Pro Duo, MS Duo, MS Pro-HG, RS-MMC, SD, SDHC Class 2, SDHC Class 4, SDHC Class 6, SM, xD)

Chassis

Bays

(3) HDD bays, (2) ODD bays

Color Options

Black Only

Exterior Chassis Materials

Molded plastic / Sheet Metal

Form Factor

Minitower (30.3L)

Software

Skype™, Internet Explorer, Dropbox

Graphics Thermal

225W/150W/75W

Wireless

DW1560 802.11ac + BT

Mouse

Dell Laser Mouse

I've got FS disks that go back to FS98!  When I built my new computer a month or two back, I went with FSX SE and have no regrets and no issues with any of my addons, and I've got a ton of those.  I've got one SSD devoted to FSX and it does fill up fast.  When I get around to it, I'll probably put in a couple of 2TB hard drives in Raid 1, but I don't really do any other gaming so my FSX SE devoted SSD is working out fine.  

BTW, there is a forum here devoted totally to hardware; you'll pick up lots of good tips there!

Mike McWilliams

Asus Rog Maximus XI Extreme motherboard, Intel i9-9900ks CPU, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 TI video card, G.Skill  TridentZDDR4 32GB SDRAM, Samsung NVMe SSD 970 1TB

Your proposed Skylake system is more than adequate to run FSX-SE in my opinion.

I've got virtually the same core components but a GTX 980 graphics card.  Since FSX is more bound to the CPU than the GPU I'd speculate that you'll still get accepable performance with the GTX 745.

I'm also using FSX-SE on Windows 10 and have had no trouble, and even better I've done no tweaking.  To fly the PMDG birds all I do is dial the autogen back from max to normal (and I don't really have to do that but it does make takeoffs and approaches in heavy scenery areas a little smoother).

Richard P. Kelly