Sign in to follow this  
KNOSSOS

Prepar3D Tweak Assistant (PTA)

Hi, 

Is it possible to make clouds shadow darker then 0.5 ?  

it seems version 2 has a minimum of 0.5 

Thank you

Anyone ?

Roi Ben

Anyone ?

I think you're out of luck. If its out of range the value will be ignored by P3D. 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I think you're out of luck. If its out of range the value will be ignored by P3D. 

Alright... because pre V2 i could get darker clouds shadows.

Roi Ben

Stuff were changed by LM in the latest version (Hotfix 2).

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I have loaded up PTA now and immediately assigned Adams latest 20-06 ini file as a starting point.

The mountains look really great. I did notice however that there appears to be a straight shadow line across the terrain in all directions around the aircraft. Most noticeable on flat terrain where no clouds exist. What can I do to fix this?

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I have loaded up PTA now and immediately assigned Adams latest 20-06 ini file as a starting point.

The mountains look really great. I did notice however that there appears to be a straight shadow line across the terrain in all directions around the aircraft. Most noticeable on flat terrain where no clouds exist. What can I do to fix this?

Hi Greg! Off the top of my head, this might be the "haze" layer. Have you got "volumetric fog" (in P3D) ticked? Also - is "tesselation" ticked?

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Hi Adam,

Yes, Volumetric fog is ticked. Should I untick? I will give that a try. I am using the Tesselation option also.

By the way, thank you very much for sharing your settings files. Sure makes this a little easier for a first timer to get excellent results without lots of experimenting.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Yes, Volumetric fog is ticked. Should I untick? I will give that a try. I am using the Tesselation option also.

By the way, thank you very much for sharing your settings files. Sure makes this a little easier for a first timer to get excellent results without lots of experimenting.

Dang! That's both my suggestions up the spout :nea:... does it go away after a while (or after scrolling around)? Volumetric fog should be on, normally, but I sometimes find toggling it off for a while then going back to on helps. What sky/cloud texture generator are you using? Maybe reinstalling your theme would help.

BTW (folks) ... to save you some pain, I've added a section on my Presets page with "handy tweaking hints". It can be a laborious process, so I hope it helps.

http://www.nzfsim.org/index.php?dsp=PTA

Adam.

Hi Adam, did some fiddling with sliders. Seems to be a factor of Cloud Shadow Cast Distance. By moving the slider all the way across to 80,000 km it moves this line way back. The 'line' coinsides with the point where cloud shadows stop in the distance. Most noticeable over water when looking into the sun. I guess it is normal. Sliding it to a lower setting moves it towards the aircraft. I will leave it on the max setting for now, my system can easily handle it, just hope it does not place too much demand on VAS.

I am using REX TD with Soft Clouds. Using your recommended texture sets for sky and one of the soft clouds option.

PS: I recon it must be a right PITA to get to a setting that works really well Adam. Thank you again for making it easy by doing the hard work. :-)

GregH

I will leave it on the max setting for now, my system can easily handle it,

Welcome to PTA Greg.  The PTA/RSP addition to P3D was a really significant step forward for the look and feel of the sim.  

Hi Knossos!

First off - thank you for a great tool!!

I was on PTA 1.6 and yesterday I upgraded to P3d V3.4 hotfix 2. 

Which steps do I have to take, to make sure I'm on stock P3d shaders and all? I've looked through the help section on your webpage, but I was not able to find the answer I think.. 

Thank you for your help!!

Martin

Which steps do I have to take, to make sure I'm on stock P3d shaders and all? I've looked through the help section on your webpage, but I was not able to find the answer I think..

Hi Martin

I hope you didn't apply presets from PTA 1.62 on P3D 3.4 hf2? If so you have the original shaders.

If you tried to apply 1.62 presets, please reinstall P3D client and dont touch PTA 1.62.

When original shaders are in sim, unzip distribution PTA 2 archive in separate directory.

At first start PTA 2.0 should automatically detect target P3D version, find proper P3D installation directory,

shaders cache directory, and create backup of used in tweaks shaders

to \SHADERS_BACKUP subdirectory in main PTA directory.

Config files, used by tool, will backup to \CONFIG_BACKUP.

The format of ini files used to store presets was changed in PTA 2.0.

All presets from the previous version of tool are NOT compatible with version 2.0.

Please reconfigure the required presets in the new utility in accordance with release notes and your PTA 1.X version presets.

regards,

Hi Martin

I hope you didn't apply presets from PTA 1.62 on P3D 3.4 hf2? If so you have the original shaders.

If you tried to apply 1.62 presets, please reinstall P3D client and dont touch PTA 1.62.

Hi Yuri!

Great - I haven't touched PTA since the p3d upgrade. So I can install PTA 2.0 and then make a safe backup - thank for you for speedy support!

Martin

Welcome to PTA Greg.  The PTA/RSP addition to P3D was a really significant step forward for the look and feel of the sim.

Thanks Erich! I have found myself wondering why I waited so long. A friend sent me some pics of their holiday today and the first thing I thought was that it looked just like a screen capture of P3D with PTA! ;-)

GregH

A friend sent me some pics of their holiday today and the first thing I thought was that it looked just like a screen capture of P3D with PTA! ;-)

That's nothing! The last couple of air shows I went to with a simming friend, we found oursleves looking at the [real] clouds and saying "No ... not very realistic - a bit 'blobby'!" I even found a repeating texture (it was a Cirrus formation)!!! I think I need to get out more :wink: .

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.