Sign in to follow this  
KNOSSOS

Prepar3D Tweak Assistant (PTA)

About all I can say is that with last version of PTA I had adams 20-09 preset loaded. I replaced the new beta PTA .exe and adams 20-09 preset was still loaded ( I didn't change it ) and there was no checks in any of the parameter boxes. I tried loading your dynamic preset that you offered on another forum (link was in this thread) log box said it was loaded, but again there were no parameters with check boxes checked, nor were there any parameters listed that could be adjusted. Tried with another preset, same thing. Finally loaded Adams newest 20-10 preset, then all of his settings showed up with appropriate check boxes and parameters that one could adjust. Tried you "dynamic" preset again and nothing listed. put back in Adams 20-10 .ini and again the preset applied and all parameters  were supplied. Only Adams 20-10 preset seems to work correctly 

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Here's a snow pic for a change!

Hi Adam,

Perfect, the clarity and vibrancy jumps out at you! Beautiful! I have been holding back from commenting about your previous Preset but I think you may have read my mind!

At first I had the feeling that something wasn't quite right. The images I was seeing were good, in fact very good, but their was something lacking. They weren't hitting me with quite the same wow response as your 20_09 Preset. Then I changed season to Winter and was disappointed to see the snow had taken on a grey/off-white colouration. I was running with fair weather so switched to clear skies but that didn't seem to make a lot of difference. Currently I am exploring Iceland (ORBX) in the Summer and flew my first leg (1/2 hour) before packing up for the night. Again, the Scenery looked very good and I don't think I could fault the appearance of water around the coast flying east from Keflavik. Still, I have that nagging impression that it could be better in some way. Maybe I need to test more in other locations.

Perhaps I am being too picky, but I just have the feeling that something is not quite right. I'm using your recommended HDR settings for 20_10 (the previous Preset) with PTA 2.10 beta2). Also, P3D and GPU drivers are current (see signature).

Knowing how important the choice of Sky textures can be in the visual equation I am now wondering whether I have become too wedded to the ENVTEX offerings. These seemed to have delivered well with all your previous Presets so have felt reluctant to rock the boat needlessly. Maybe I should be thinking now about ringing the changes?

I'll try again with your latest 20_10 Preset and report back. Can you provide the map parameters, weather, season and time of day for the location and I will try to reproduce your last image and see what turns up?

Regards,

Mike

Mike ... are you saying that your P3D looks a bit "flat" or "dull"? Genuine question, as I sometimes see PTA screenshots from other people that look a bit "tired" to me ... and (I hate to say it) I think some of them may be using my preset(s).

I've been thinking for a while now that I should really set up a scenario that could be used by other people so we could [all] compare. The only problem is that I sold my soul to ORBX - and I'm running many of their add-on sceneries. I also have FTX Global and the complete FS Global/Open LC stuff installed, so any location outside of ORBX add-ons isn't going to be exactly default P3D. Disabling any of these isn't really something I want to do ...

... so ... this "test" scenario may end up having to be in an ORBX area - and a popular one at that. We'd also need to settle on sky textures (most important) and then cloud textures - as these can play a major part in colouring. I can't create an archive with either my REX (sky) or FEX (cloud) textures for copyright reasons.

One solution could be to settle on one of Gennadiy's single day textures (a *neutral* one, if possible) and take test shots in clear weather. However - we'd have similar problems with *water* textures, LOL!

As FTX NZNI or NZSI are my favourite FTX add-ons, it'd be nice to know if there are many others active here that also have them - or it there's another area that could be a contender.

Mike - do you have FTX NZ? If Gennadiy is reading this ... which of your day textures would you recommend as the most balanced/neutral? I tried both "Meditation" and "Antarktic" ... but found them slightly saturated/blue.

Adam.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Gentleman, I've got to gently remind you to remember the differences in monitor settings.

I rarely find someones presets to be totally agreeable with what I remember seeing in GA flying.

The best ones so far have been Adams 20-10, but only after discovering my gamma was wrong ( using testing programs on the web) and I had to balance out brightness and contrast.

When I first used the 20-10 preset, it was as usual, just so-so, only different. Then on a whim I checked Nvidia control panel and I was using Nvidia to to control color (which of course I had adjusted to my liking). Just for fun I set it back to programs control. Closed control panel out to desktop and holy cow was my screen drab. I used monitor menu to brighten it back up.

Then I loaded up P3D and still using Adams 20-10 preset......P3D was drab. So, I paused P3D, pulled up monitor menu and watched P3D screen while adjusting monitor again. After a few minutes I had what I believe I'm not going to change. The brights that I was expecting for 2 pm on a sparse cloudy day was there, the shadows that I expected were there. I was thrilled to be seeing all this. It's a shame that in 2017, we can't get uniform color, saturation, hue, contrast and gamma but it's just not possible.

Wasn't all that a "hoot"?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I rarely find someones presets to be totally agreeable with what I remember seeing in GA flying.

I totally agree. Our eyes are *amazing* at accommodating (and compensating for) all sorts of contrasts and colours. However - I often see great photographs (from RL - not a sim) that *do* seem to capture exactly how the colours were, or how I'd imagine the colours to be ... so theoretically ... it *ought* to be possible - even in a sim!!! We know it can, because I'm sure we've all seen the odd screenshot and did the dreaded "double-take" ... but it's quite rare, IMHO.

As to system or monitor setup/calibration - what a minefield!!! Not much we can do about it all, unless calibration devices come down to $5 each! I agree - the best we can hope for is to arrive at a fairly accurate palette that works for as many different users as possible, then leave it to individuals to tweak further if necessary.

I've started a new topic - to see if I can create a "level playing field" test scenario: http://www.avsim.com/topic/503705-generic-pta-testing-scenario-suggestions-please/

Adam.

Jim,

My problem with this is I have never had to adjust my monitor since completion of this build and first lighting the screen over a year ago. It delivers great well balanced imagery in all my games and virtually ALL Adam's Presets prior to 20_10 produced the goods in P3D. I would be VERY resistant to the idea of changing any settings. I don't think that's the issue this time around.

Regards,

Mike

Adam,

No problem, this end as, like you, I'm fully ORBX'd up 😀 Also, I have FTX NZNI and NZSI so there should be no obstacle there.

I have no problem changing Sky textures. I have REX4 TxDirect, but don't have FEX. To date I've always considered ENVTEX textures to be furnishing similar Sky colours to the ones you have been using and certainly the produced terrain lighting has been very convincing.

Updating P3D and the graphics drivers may have had something to do with the changes I'm seeing but, as I said to Jim, I would prefer to leave my monitor settings at their default settings for the time being.

Perhaps we should start with what we have installed at present and go from there. Comparing images from identical situations may offer some clues to your practiced eyes.

This was a new experience for me as I have never had to change anything while using your previous Presets....and that's why I felt I should mention it. Also, and for selfish reasons, I wanted that wow factor back big again time...LOL!

In fact, while using your 20_09 Preset, and before updating P3D from a non to a fully hot-fixed sim, I have been marvelling at how close my sim's imagery is to what I'm seeing from some of the fantastic HD transmissions as viewed on our 42" LG Digital TV.

Regards,

Mike

so previous 20_10 downloaders aren't really missing anything.

So no need to redownload?

Eric 

So no need to redownload?

No, Eric ... no need. I re-uploaded a new version with just the Aircraft saturation tweak added - but it was at the default value (1.0).

Mike - I'll set up an NZ scenario - but let's take this to the new thread, so as to not over-bloat this one!

http://www.avsim.com/topic/503705-generic-pta-testing-scenario-suggestions-please/

Adam.

Yuri

I cannot thank you enough for adding the ability to brighten the inside of the VC in v2.10. Now I can have nice dark cloud shadows and still see the instrument panel! It's transformed the sim for me and stopped me having to add more interior lights via the aircraft.cfg file.

I've decided to donate again so you can enjoy a few bottles of Klinskoye Svetloe beer on me :)

andy

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Hi Yuri, did you finally check this out?. Should we wait to upgrade to beta2?.

Thanks, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Yuri

I cannot thank you enough for adding the ability to brighten the inside of the VC in v2.10. Now I can have nice dark cloud shadows and still see the instrument panel! It's transformed the sim for me and stopped me having to add more interior lights via the aircraft.cfg file.

I've decided to donate again so you can enjoy a few bottles of Klinskoye Svetloe beer on me :)

Thanks you, Andy, much appreciated! The next mug of Czech beer I'll drink to your health!  :drinks:

Hi Yuri, did you finally check this out?. Should we wait to upgrade to beta2?.
Thanks, Ed

Hi Ed

Yeah, there was not an issue of PTA 2.10beta2. No more issues reported to me so far.

Hi guys,

do you may know, why I have no landing/taxi lights shining on the runway/ground after I install the THOPAT PTA preset?

I tried this in the new 747 QOTS II. Or do you maybe know, which feature is responsible for this that I can deselect it?

Thanks for help :)

Regards, Timm
ng6sypel.png
V1 Simulations | SimAware

Hello - Can someone tell me what parameter effects the autogen (trees) to shadow them properly when they are in the terrain shadows?

The Ambient sunlight ratio parameter under "Object lighting" seems only impacted by the cloud shadows.

thanks.

The Ambient sunlight ratio parameter under "Object lighting" seems only impacted by the cloud shadows.

Hi

The Ambient sunlight ratio affects all shadowed objects (excluding a/c).

GIF:

Animationg_5205979_25090090.gif

The Ambient sunlight ratio affects all shadowed objects (excluding a/c).

Hi - I just tested LOWI like your picture and all autogen gets shaded. I was messing around with this setting and went to .25 and saw that some of the trees were extremely dark. 

Does the shadowing get doubled up when an object in in both the terrain and cloud shadow? I am trying to figure out why some of my autogen trees were much darker than others. BTW I am using Adam's 20-10 preset.

thanks

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.