Sign in to follow this  
KNOSSOS

Prepar3D Tweak Assistant (PTA)

possibly because this scenery includes not just an airport, but a whole city.

Some payware airports area drawn by "autogen" objects, not terrain. You can change lighting of such areas by using "Objects lighting" tweak, not "Terrain lighting". If parameters of these tweaks are the same, the lighting should be the same. 

KNOSSOS, it worked like a charm, thank you!

Airports and their shadowing are now looks terrific. Just wow.

Now, after you explained this, it's kinda obvious that object lightning should be the same as terrain lightning to avoid mismatching. But maybe it is worth to mention this somewhere in PTA?

vwyqyVB.png

JhvVsZU.png

Hi Adam,

Happy New Year!

I installed your 20_7 preset last night and I do have to say that it is very good indeed! Before this I was using THOPAT's 1.0 Preset which is impressive but, sadly, for me the honeymoon period hasn't lasted very long. The initial impression was almost startling in terms of the vivid lighting of terrain. Then I started to notice how dark the water textures are, especially inland water, which masks the detail. Their Preset needs a bit more work, I think. So, after a few days I found myself starting to yearn for one of your Presets as they have such a uniquely natural real world look which I like. Preset 20_7 is, without doubt, your best to date IMHO. I know, I think I may have said that before, but then that's the nature of an ongoing project like this, so it's likely I'll be saying it again...and again...LOL!

I'm using your Preset with ENVTEX Sky textures manipulated by AS2016/ASCA - great combination. I am not using ENVTEX clouds nor their rain and snow effects - I feel OldProp's PrecipitFX are better.

Well done and thank you! You are the Master!

Regards,

Mike 😀

BTW, regarding the installation of the unsupported A2A Spit, I ended up following Elaine's very helpful guide which included the addition of a couple of FSX Registry keys. Installation thereafter was a doddle and the a/c performs perfectly...within the limits of my skills, that is :(

Mike! Happy New Year to you too!!!

Thanks for the great feedback. I'm often a bit worried that what appears to be OK on my system might look like porridge (or worse!!) on everybody else's!!!

Water is still a bit of a problem in P3D. LM just won't/can't address the problem - particularly when you're looking down. I asked Yuri to see if he could wave his magic wand, but I think he admits it may just be beyond what PTA can do. Reflection/refraction/limpidity helps a bit, but doesn't really "fix" it - sea or inland.

As to the Spitfire - if you want a *real* challenge - get the new DCS World Mk.IX. It's absolutely superb - but oh so difficult to take off/land! I've written off complete squadrons LOL!

Adam.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Hi Adam

I've started to use your latest mods with ENVTEX.  It works really well.  Love it.

Hi guys I'm also late arriving to this party but the results look outstanding! I just bought a new system and going to be doing a full install this week. My question is:

How do

1. Do Reshade & PTA play together? Is this an either or scenario or is there value to having both? Performance?

2. EddieSkyPack textures and Rex4TD - I just bought Rex4 only because of the sale I also have Orbx Global,Vector,Open LC NA/EU, should I not even touch Rex4? Or do you guys still use it for Runway, Sun, and Flare textures?

3. Do I need to install all the Orbx stuff before installing PTA? Or does it not edit textures.

Thanks!

1. Do Reshade & PTA play together? Is this an either or scenario or is there value to having both? Performance?

2. EddieSkyPack textures and Rex4TD - I just bought Rex4 only because of the sale I also have Orbx Global,Vector,Open LC NA/EU, should I not even touch Rex4? Or do you guys still use it for Runway, Sun, and Flare textures?

3. Do I need to install all the Orbx stuff before installing PTA? Or does it not edit textures.

1. I think they can - but it's probably overkill. Some of the Reshade functions are built into (mimicked) in PTA anyway. I shouldn't think there'd be a performance hit either way.

2. Yes - I still use REX/TD for ground textures (runways, apron etc.). I also use it for the SKY textures. However I use my old FEX for CLOUDS (!).

3. Totally independent. PTA doesn't touch textures at all - just the lighting on them.

I'm a heavy ORBX user (Global, Vector, LC - the whole lot!). You're in for a treat if you use PTA, as it really complements ORBX scenery - in terms of lighting/shading on terrain. John Venema (ORBX CEO) is even a fan of PTA. You can't get better than that, LOL!

All the screenshots you'll see of my presets are in ORBX areas. Most of them are NZ (I can't help it - I live there, LOL!) - and PTA is great at getting the blue/green balance that is so typical of "the land of the great white cloud".

Airports and their shadowing are now looks terrific. Just wow.

... and that second (apron) shot is a beauty!!!

Adam.

1. I think they can - but it's probably overkill. Some of the Reshade functions are built into (mimicked) in PTA anyway. I shouldn't think there'd be a performance hit either way.

2. Yes - I still use REX/TD for ground textures (runways, apron etc.). I also use it for the SKY textures. However I use my old FEX for CLOUDS (!).

3. Totally independent. PTA doesn't touch textures at all - just the lighting on them.

I'm a heavy ORBX user (Global, Vector, LC - the whole lot!). You're in for a treat if you use PTA, as it really complements ORBX scenery - in terms of lighting/shading on terrain. John Venema (ORBX CEO) is even a fan of PTA. You can't get better than that, LOL!

All the screenshots you'll see of my presets are in ORBX areas. Most of them are NZ (I can't help it - I live there, LOL!) - and PTA is great at getting the blue/green balance that is so typical of "the land of the great white cloud".

Wow thanks for taking the time to fill me in! Really appreciate it, I will go with PTA to start off and see where it takes me, really excited to see how much of a boost going from i7-860 OCed to 4ghz/GTX 970 to i7-6700K/GTX1070 will give me.

Thanks for the great feedback. I'm often a bit worried that what appears to be OK on my system might look like porridge (or worse!!) on everybody else's!!!

Adam,

No worries. Unless your monitor and mine are calibrated exactly the same there's going to be subtle differences. Your presets are great training wheels and with patience I've adjusted the settings to my own personal taste. Which you might find porridge ... or worse.

Keep experimenting. I look forward to seeing your new presets.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Unless your monitor and mine are calibrated exactly the same there's going to be subtle differences.

I don't have a hardware calibration device of any kind, so I try to view the same pic on as many different PCs/devices as I can. Not exactly scientific, but the best I can do, LOL!

BTW: Rather than start a new topic, I'm trying to encourage PTA users to follow this topic if they want to be notified of any new preset (of mine). That way, if I make an announcement, everyone will get an email. I'll head each announcement with something along the lines of "Announcement - new preset adam_XX-YY" ... or similar.

I don't have a hardware calibration device of any kind, so I try to view the same pic on as many different PCs/devices as I can. Not exactly scientific, but the best I can do, LOL!

BTW: Rather than start a new topic, I'm trying to encourage PTA users to follow this topic if they want to be notified of any new preset (of mine). That way, if I make an announcement, everyone will get an email. I'll head each announcement with something along the lines of "Announcement - new preset adam_XX-YY" ... or similar.

Your latest version caused everything to turn way too blue. The PMDG 737 cockpit is way washed out in blue. What adjustments do I make?

Eric 

Adam, thinking of something to do with the sky saturation setting. I noticed that it is checked in 7 but not in 6. I rolled back to 6 and the problem went away.

Eric 

Eric - thanks for the feedback! I'm not gettting anything over-blue on my system - but I'll play with some extreme saturation settings to see if I can make your problem appear. Just a double-check: you have HDR enabled in P3D - and they're the recommended settings for that preset (they're very different to 20_06)?

Anyone else get this? Or is everybody too busy looking at the landscape, like me? LOL!

Anyone else get this? Or is everybody too busy looking at the landscape, like me? LOL!

And me and all seems well here, Adam. Great evolutionary preset! I'm starting to wonder what more you can do, but I love surprises...he,he!

Cheers!

Mike

Eric - thanks for the feedback! I'm not gettting anything over-blue on my system - but I'll play with some extreme saturation settings to see if I can make your problem appear. Just a double-check: you have HDR enabled in P3D - and they're the recommended settings for that preset (they're very different to 20_06)?

Yes, everything set like it's supposed to be. I'll try again tomorrow if I can.

Eric 

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.