Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Decision Height.....

After 18:00, if I do not see the future for civil flight simulation, my disk will be empty....

I don't want, and will NOT go back to 32 bit, and I also do not want to play more War games even if the quality of their flight dynamics justifies it...

I want a good civil flight sim, stable, with future.... Will DTG Flight School show me a sign of that ?  I still hope so, albeit the videos...

The "worst" thing that will happen will be to have to save for a few months to buy Airlinetools Flightdeck A32X...

I know about the upcoming FSLabs A32X, the PMDG 744, .... But they're basically "Past" tense... I want "Future" ! This means, at least, 64 bit and DX11.... and I do not want to get into combat flight simulation games again....

Strongly hope for DTG... Well, might consider Aerofly v2 too, I really don't know :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

..talk about drama!

If I were you, I'd just delete it and move on to another hobby.  Clearly whatever you're looking home computer simulator is currently, and probably eternally unachievable.  Joy comes from within what you have, not your desire to have.

• Upvote 2

Well I wouldn't benchmark the 'future' of flight simulation using DTG FlightSchool as the yardstick. It's 64-bit but looks very much like FSX with FTX Global, bad visual weather and 2 very basic aircraft.  So you can't really push the boundries with performance.

Sticky, you have a good point! But I've been around for quite some while, and am well known for getting back  - eheheh

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Why not try X-Plane? I recently bought it after many years of ignoring it. It has come a long way. It's 64-bit and runs great on modern PCs. It also has a good amount of quality add-ons now. Plus with PMDG starting to develop for it, it could be the sim of choice for the future.

I've been a long time user of X-Plane 10, 9, 8.... Not an option for me though... Maybe X-Plane 11...

But indeed X-Plane is, as a 64 bit platform, an excellent solution for those who like it.

Main Simulation Rig:

I've been a long time user of X-Plane 10, 9, 8.... Not an option for me though.

From what I recall, you couldn't stop gushing about x-plane at one point a while back.  What  changed for you?

I don't think we'll see the future today.

Sure, I don't doubt that DTG have put in a huge amount of work and credit to them. However I think it's fairly clear that this product is not aimed at hardcore simmers, and I think most members of this forum would fall into that category. Doesn't it ship with only a few light aircraft and default (albeit Orbx enhanced, but still fairly generic) scenery? Are you willing to give up your PMDG tubeliners and A2A birds for that, 32 bit or not!?

It may be interesting to see what has done with the engine, and how it performs may give some indications as to what's in store for DFS later in the year, but other than that I don't think much else will come of it (for us).

No need to delete anything! I'm actually really enjoying X-Plane 10 at the moment, but I've still got loads invested in FSX and that's not going anywhere! No need to put all our eggs in one basket, I have plenty of disk space on my machine for both sims, plus even more when I see fit to add one.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

From what I recall, you couldn't stop gushing about x-plane at one point a while back.  What  changed for you?

Mostly the way it still deals with distant scenery, tiles disappearing, ground physics, poor weather modeling, among other....

I used X-Plane 10 as a visuals platform for PSX, not as a flight simulator. As a visuals generator, it performs better than FSX or P3D in terms of smoothness, but I hate to see those white squares of adjacent tiles not loaded, when flying at cruise altitudes, and the poor sky rendering compared to what I get in FSX + ASN

If stable and more fluid, DTG Flight School could be my next alternative... I hope that for their flight simulator they'll be able to really add important features and modifications / fixes to the

core flight and physics modeling.

Just look at how much better ground physics are, for instance, in MS FLIGHT....

Main Simulation Rig:

What exactly are you trying to do?

I haven't had a OOM in years with P3D and I run all the big add ons. No, I'm not obsessed with landing the PMDG 777 at Heathrow with full overcast. But that's not really my goal. 

I also enjoy XP10 with OSM data, a bunch of free plugins and the V35 + REP realism add-on. 

When I'm simming the last thing I care about is whether it's 32 bit or 64 bit. I'm just worried about whether it's doing the job of what I want it to do. 

Mostly the way it still deals with distant scenery, tiles disappearing, ground physics, poor weather modeling, among other....

I used X-Plane 10 as a visuals platform for PSX, not as a flight simulator. As a visuals generator, it performs better than FSX or P3D in terms of smoothness, but I hate to see those white squares of adjacent tiles not loaded, when flying at cruise altitudes, and the poor sky rendering compared to what I get in FSX + ASN

I've not noticed this so much since the DSF scenery tiles option has been added into 10.45.

Seriously with that and the Terra Haze plug in the visuals in X-Plane even with stock global scenery is incredible and really gives any of the ESP based sims a run for their money.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Enable extended DSF and see if that doesn't help with terrain in the distance. And remember we're close to 10.50, with winds aloft worldwide and other improvements.

And hey.... PMDG just announced the DC-6 arrives on June1, just 8 days from now:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/489059-pmdg-dc-6-release-info/

Jump in THAT cockpit, and it will probably be a month before you get tired of figuring out how to get it safely off the ground and back down.  :smile:

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Well,

for the very 1st time since I returned to flight simulation, in 2011, through the hand of that mighty MS FLIGHT I regret SO MUCH having been left abandoned my MS, I'm left with a sim PC void of ** ANY ** flight simulator. DTG Flight School was my latest investment, and as much as I am glad I payed the $15,00 for it, I also know it is not what I want to play...

Flight dynamics justification for me to re-install a sim would be il-2 BoS / BoM, but that's also out of question because I don't want to play war games anymore. That's why DCS follows the same fate... I feel soooo bad playing air combat, and even worst - it's really addictive!

Aerowinx PSX has great systems modeling but is very limited in terms of visuals - too limited - and doesn't serve my aim :-(  The alternatives for external World visuals are just X-Plane or FSX/P3D, and those don't do a good job either even if X-Plane is the best option. I got bored trying to use it with it's rather limited World Visuals. As much as it is perfect and complete in many other aspects, I can't really play it with the necessary enthusiasm :-/

X-Plane 10 is out of question too - I don't like a number of limitations it has that really mess with my mind... There is no way around it, no matter how much I tried... many times since I bought it. Yes it's getting better, but not in the area and in the way I really liked...

FSX and P3D, are also out of the stack,  - they're 32 bit, and based on the same old MSFS flight dynamics, very difficult to mentally process / accept after having used il2 BoS or DCS....

DTG was uninstalled late tonight - it's nice, but it's really "purposeless" for me... Nonetheless, it's an excellent preview of the very positive things to come with their flight sim, latter this year, although not for me, unless the flight dynamics are really upgraded to something worth the try...

After having used il2 BoS and DCS, I believe I can never return to FSX-like sims, so, unless DTG Flight SIm completely works out a new flight dynamics modelling, it will not be an option for me either in the future... Once you taste the superb modeling in il2 BoS ( my preferred ) or DCS World, it's very difficult to like even X-Plane 10, although Aerofly can, in this area, also be a very good option.

I regret that Aerofly FS v2  is so limited right now in the covered area and working functionalities of the aircraft, otherwise I would buy it because if it's flight dynamics are the same or even more fine tuned than those in Aerofly v1, then they're the best I have been able to use in a civil sim... But honestly this is the only sim I will keep an eye on during the next months - for me it is the one with the bigger potential for a civil platform, and I am not going to get back to a military one.

So, I'm left with actually no sim right now. Will probably try the latest release of FlightGear, but I guess it'll follow the same way the other versions followed....

X-Plane 11 could be an alternative too, if the dev team finds a way to get around the many irritating visual, flight, AI and ATC limitations it has for me.

Main Simulation Rig:

DTG was uninstalled late tonight - it's nice, but it's really "purposeless" for me...

Hmmm... Weren't you writing this just 14 HOURS BEFORE? :smile: 

Working B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L-L-Y

Love the graphics and the default aircraft

Love the UI

Love the scenery and the aircraft flight dynamics, even being default.

I couldn't ask for more, specially because I knew what it wouldn't have, so, I am really ver satisfied so far.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

14 hrs is an Eternity for me Murmur....

I still appreciated having played with it for a while though... Shows that their flight sim can become interesting... just as X-Plane 11 whatever that may be, and even more Aerofly 2 if they get the chance to develop what they're offering right now...

Main Simulation Rig: