Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

PFPX - My impressions (and frustrations) after a week

We don't use a method like CFMU validation over in the EU. Given the larger amount of airspace under a single entity, it's a little easier to use flexible methods of addressing constraints.

Current airspace status can be found here on the FAA OIS:

http://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/

Any restrictions on routing will be under National Programs and will have a name like FCA###, and the name will be hyperlinked to a page where you can see more information about where the constraint is (so that you can route around it).

"Plays" can be found in the Playbook:

http://www.fly.faa.gov/PLAYBOOK/pbindex.html

^Even if you aren't interested in this site, just have a look to appreciate our fine, FAA, early-90s website that we've only bothered to update the content on. Yes, that's a tiled background and a scanned picture of a glossy print of a tornado... 

If you see a storm front between ORD and DFW, and you're going from JFK to LAX, you could use the ONL Play (Playbook > East to West Transcon > ONL). Plays, however, are usually recommended on the planning telcon that is referenced at the bottom of the main FAA OIS page. The various operators (airlines, cargo lines, NBAA, etc.) call into this telcon and discuss how best to approach the airspace situation, and the ATCSCC (- system command center) will solicit various playbook routes on occasion to help handle a particular situation. Some of the common ones are holiday travel between NY and FL (Playbook > Regional Routes > [obvious names]).

Kyle,

Very instructive as usual thanks!

It will take a while to get used to this "new world" with plenty different terms compared to the Eurocontrol system.

BTW, I like the scanned picture!  :Tounge:

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

get it to accept RBV in the USA not the one in SoAfrica
Dan

I don't see that in Version 1.26 anymore

That's great, I haven't tried it yet with latest version. My crashes with latest have diminished significantly.

Dan Downs KCRP

Kyle, thanks for the FAA links to the OIS and Playbook. Can a dispatcher use these links to figure out the prescribed routes for US destinations? What would the workflow be: first check the events for anything en route and next go to the Playbook, select the corridor, and find the route that matches?

Are there any other sites (besides apps like PFPX) where one could determine a reasonably realistic flight plan, given current conditions?

Andrew Farmer

My flight sim blog: Fly, Farmer, Fly!

Early in this discussion topic, it was noted that PFPX was having a problem identifying a SID for KEWR departures from Rwy 4L. The only available SID for such departures is the Newark Two, which depends on ATC radar vectors. There is no RNAV SID for northeast departures.

I am unfamiliar with PFPX and so don't know how it handles such circumstances. 

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

Thanks for the discussion guys.  Busy day at work so I haven't had much time on Avsim today.  I just read through all the comments so far.  Yeah, it's a 'planner' not a 'dispatcher' which I might have picked up on.  From the large number of youtube vids I've watched, people mostly just get a plan so I was surprised when I tried the same thing myself only to have it fail with a "can't" message.  Yes, from what I'm seeing now it might have something to do with the SID...the 4's were active at KEWR when I was planning.  I did get a valid plan when the 22's were active the next day.  Maybe it was the luck of the draw?...just picked an airport that PFPX has an issue with?

In terms of planning, I don't mind planning when I need to but, as others have pointed out, there are times you just want to get in and fly.  Being able to customize a route for circumstances is fine but I really don't want to take on the dispatcher role most times.  My learning curve with the 777 is pretty high right now and I prefer to focus on that.

And, btw, the reason I was doing KEWR to EGLL is because I've been on that flight on the red-eye twice.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

The Just Planes video of the Air Canada 777-200LR polar ops dvd has a great segment with the dispatcher. Its about a 1/2 hr long and he goes thru flight planning in detail. One of the best instructional videos I've seen. Obviously he's not using PFPX but the methods are quite similar.