Sign in to follow this  
Angelo Cosma

Finally, FSX out, P3D in and Graphics card updated. Some Stutters...

Hey guys, so I have finally switched the sim to P3D V3.2 and updated my EVGA 670GTX 2GB to an EVGA 980Ti Hybrid Gaming Watercooled unit 6GB.

The switch from FSX to P3D alone was pretty awesome, now this card makes it even better.

My question is though, I am attaining atleast 30FPS all the time but still get a microstutter, skip, or short pause, sometimes in rapid succession.

The Sim is on an SSD, the CPU is a Core i7 at 4.7Ghz, I am running 3 projectors via Nthusim blending, total resolution 3840X1024.

I have tried, Vsync On, Triple buffering, Vsync Off, FPS unlimited, FPS 30-35, Different setups in NVI or NVCP, and P3D.cfg and shader rebuild, can anyone point me in the right direction as to reduce the amount of stuttering?

It sounds like the "magic bullet" on the micro-stutter issue is to run your display at 30Hz. and set/lock the FPS at 30.  At least that is what I have read on some of the posts here.  Not sure if that can be accomplished with projection systems.  The question I have is does it have to be certain HDMI cable as well to achieve this or is it simply a matter of the display capabilities to achieve30Hz.?

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Projectors can be high refresh rates. Have you tried the limiter in NI set to a fraction of the projector refresh with unlimited, vsync and triple buffer on in P3D Display Settings?

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I use the internal FPS limiter at a frame rate that in most cases is achievable. This way my rig isn't bouncing between high and low frame rates when I get in high autogen areas (looking at you London). The vsync and triple buffer stuff only made the microstutters worse. Also, a proper AF helped.

Projectors can be high refresh rates. Have you tried the limiter in NI set to a fraction of the projector refresh with unlimited, vsync and triple buffer on in P3D Display Settings?

Okay I will try that, the projectors are 60Hz so 1/2 refresh would get 30. I may even be able to set the NVCP to 30Hz I will have to look. 

As Daniel suggested, should I try an AM entry in the cfg?

The NI limiter can cause problems check undocked panels work ok with no big fps drop. Always consider an AM if you have many cores and hyperthreading enabled.

The NI limiter can cause problems check undocked panels work ok with no big fps drop. Always consider an AM if you have many cores and hyperthreading enabled.

I don't follow you on the undock panels portion? The Entire 3840X1024 area is strictly outside visuals. No cockpit being rendered at all, no vc, guages etc. Just outside view. Can you clarify?

Some have reported problems of big fps drops when undocking the gps or other panels. It's possible you could have addon hardware that utilises those for their own displays.

The instrument displays are being generated by a totally seperate computer. The P3D machine is entirely its own unit and runs just the sim for outside view. So, other than Active Sky Next and UT2 there's not much else running on it. 

then should be no issues with the NI limiter set to 30, and in P3D VSync On TB On, set Unlimited on the slider.

So, other than Active Sky Next and UT2 there's not much else running on it.

That's more than enough to generate stutters.  Check your ASN build, you want B5926 or higher and be sure to disable multi-layer visibility.  As for UT2, it's technically not a P3D supported product, but with that said it does work, suggest lowering your AI traffic settings ... I can't remember how UT2 AI setting were relative to MT6 setting, I think in UT2 I could go a little higher like 25-30% vs. MT6 10-15% ... but don't let the % values fool you, there is plenty of traffic in MT6 at 10-15% (50-70% and I can't take off for at least 30-50 minutes).

Anyway, as a test you might want to see if the stutters go away without using ASN and UT2, if they do, then work your way up until they return.

Another option, 361.43 drivers seem to work a little better in P3D V3.2, however I've just installed the 368.22 drivers and they "seem" ok, but haven't ran a apples to apples test yet.

Cheers, Rob.

I have never used NI limiter. Is it only for fullscreen rendition?

Thanks Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I too have not resolved micro stutters. Keen to try the monitor refresh rate at 30hz. Assuming my monitor can accept this, do I limit frames to 30 in NI or P3D or both?

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I have never used NI limiter. Is it only for fullscreen rendition?

Thanks Michael Moe

Vsync + NI Limit work differently depending on the app. With P3D it works in a window or fullscreen. (VSync here should not be confused with the monitor vsync we remember from the old crt days).

I too have not resolved micro stutters. Keen to try the monitor refresh rate at 30hz. Assuming my monitor can accept this, do I limit frames to 30 in NI or P3D or both?

The "Limiter" in P3D display settings is not actually a limiter, it is a target frame rate for the mode of pre-rendered or look-ahead frames, and requires more powerful machine. It should not be confused with the limiter in NI.

Set fps on the slider and turn off VSync and Triple Buffer,

or

turn on Vsync+TB, set unlimited and set the NI limit or the monitor refresh.

then should be no issues with the NI limiter set to 30, and in P3D VSync On TB On, set Unlimited on the slider.

So it's Unlimited again, how about FPS variation with the above settings? Or is it for the outside view only?

And I've noticed Rob also suggests Unlimted for P3D here:

http://www.robainscough.com/Prepar3D_Settings_2.html

Thanks,

Dirk.

(TitanX 6700K@4.6 here)