Sign in to follow this  
Angelo Cosma

Finally, FSX out, P3D in and Graphics card updated. Some Stutters...

So it's Unlimited again, how about FPS variation with the above settings?

(TitanX 6700K@4.6 here)

Thanks,

Dirk.

With P3D only, (not FSX) Vsync ON is limiting to the refresh rate of the monitor or the NI limit whichever is lower.

Only the frame rate slider can create frames with an equal time period, but it's heavy on the system because it arranges a series of look ahead frames. These also add up to an input delay. Generally there are up to three frames, each one physics based on an exact time period.

Otherwise with the monitor refresh or NI Limit and Unlimited on the slider + VSync ON, we get equal frames if they are all arriving limited.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I use unlimited only because I can set my monitor refresh to 30Hz (the key being monitor refresh) ... hence my goal of 30 FPS.  Here is my rule of thumb on FPS/Refresh/Frame Limiter

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wzQ3a6BICcFwD_zm-NcFu4E63msHH0qY3I77UJ9Ed6w/edit#gid=0

Cheers, Rob.

I should take a note here, because my NEC supports 20, 24, 30Hz and so on

Thanks!

With P3D only, (not FSX) Vsync ON is limiting to the refresh rate of the monitor or the NI limit whichever is lower.

Only the frame rate slider can create frames with an equal time period, but it's heavy on the system because it arranges a series of look ahead frames. These also add up to an input delay. Generally there are up to three frames, each one physics based on an exact time period.

Otherwise with the monitor refresh or NI Limit and Unlimited on the slider + VSync ON, we get equal frames if they are all arriving limited.

It will sink down with time for me. Meanwhile I'll just do as suggested with  NEC @30Hz

Much thanks. 

Has anyone found out why using NI frame limiter and undocking a panel causes the frames to half ?

Vernon Howells

I should take a note here, because my NEC supports 20, 24, 30Hz and so on

Just keep in mind the best visual quality would be (in order):

option ID 8

option ID 2

option ID 4

If you use a lot of add-ons and like to turn up the graphics settings then option ID 4 is a good goal.  Of course option ID 8 is the best but not many folk can operate above 120 FPS.  Option ID 2 is a common desire, but one will need some very good hardware and be selective about add-ons and graphics settings.

Cheers, Rob.

Just keep in mind the best visual quality would be (in order):

option ID 8

option ID 2

option ID 4

If you use a lot of add-ons and like to turn up the graphics settings then option ID 4 is a good goal.  Of course option ID 8 is the best but not many folk can operate above 120 FPS.  Option ID 2 is a common desire, but one will need some very good hardware and be selective about add-ons and graphics settings.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, what exactly is Min FPS in your table? Is it Min actual FPS achievable?

Also I noticed SteveW kindly suggested to set 30 fps either in NI OR in Monitor. I can do both but I understand it's not needed in NI if I can do it on my monitor? Do I get it right?

Thanks,

PS: To some reason I like reading your option ID 3 for my heavy ORBX sceneries, could you comment on ID3?

Rob, what exactly is Min FPS in your table? Is it Min actual FPS achievable?

Yes, fly around your area of choice, note your lowest FPS.

ID3 is similar to ID4 but because lowest FPS is so close to 30 there may not be enough headroom to use Triple Buffer.  Triple buffer helps smooth things out even more, but only if you have the additional performance to allow for it.

Option ID4 is what I use most of the time.

Cheers, Rob.

The VSync times onto the backbuffer flipping from the forebuffer. With only two buffers and the out-frame is still being read, the renderer has to wait before flipping the buffer. But with the third buffer (triple buffer) the renderer can continue rendering. This means that there is less time for background functions, similar to when we choose the look-ahead fixed frame rate.

Even so, none of these methods are satisfactory when the going gets tough and the limit is not met by the renderer. For example when the frame rate drops the look ahead frames are used and there's no headroom to recreate them.

So in other words, if the limit is met by the renderer, the triple buffer is an advantage. and if the limit can be doubled by the renderer, the fixed frame rate becomes an advantage. Unfortunately the fixed frame rate pre-rendered frames are depleted to ensure fps stability, not to save us when the going gets tough. There needs to be very good performance to use the fixed fps setting.

OK, finally I do feel I'm ready to go with P3D. I have very smooth results @30Hz/unlimited FPS over SCA at rather high settings and LOD at 5.5, happy.

Thank you so much.

PS: 6700K @4,7GHZ TitanX, 3000MHz RAM, no HT (gets too hot), I'll decide on AM=14 after I install EZDOK and TIR, so far AM=0 or 14 are the same, just different cores get hotter.

SteveW kindly suggested to set 30 fps either in NI OR in Monitor...not needed in NI if I can do it on my monitor

Yes, setting only the monitor frequency is best if it does it.

I love my 31' NEC monitor it does 30, and I tried even 20Hz first following your FPS concept for FSX-SE in the other thread.

Thanks