Sign in to follow this  
RamonB

Flight School Unlocked

Crazy that people can leave a full-stop review (positive or negative) after just 30 mins - 1 hour game time.

I have seen a few Live streams > of the released version < today and all the people were actually enjoying themselves flying it. There seems to be depth to missions / lessons and so really... can the knee-jerk reactions be left aside?

For $15 and a good flying experience ... its going to bring more people into flightsimming and grow the customer base. 

• Upvote 3

For $15 and a good flying experience ... its going to bring more people into flightsimming and grow the customer base. 

Exactly. The more that gets into our hobby, the more nicer products that will come out of it in the future.

Some real pilots overhere to talk about the flight dinamics? It is been hard to land with flaps!

I saw a video with an approach flown in the Piper Cub, and the flight physics looked totally unrealistic during the descent. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Even more as we are half into 2016. Given the amount of work ahead of DT, I cannot realistically imagine the full simualtor to be ready in 2016 but rather around X-mas 2017, perhaps.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

For $15, & intended for newbies & NOT us, not bad at all!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

With those graphics, I don't know that it will. You have to remember that "gamers" are used to the graphics in GTA 5, Battlefield etc. They'll fire this up and see the 2004-era graphics and conclude that it's like one of those really bad "job simulators" available on Steam. It's frankly shocking how far behind flightsim graphics (not just this sim) are compared to modern AAA games.

Anyway I don't think a brand new flight sim can attract that many new simmers even with up to date graphics.

It just doesn't do anything that would get the general public interested in flying or flightsims. The lessons are basic, heavily scripted and most importantly - boring. Managing to turn 90 degrees without getting nagged by a virtual instructor for losing altitude will not make Joe Gamer invest thousands in flightsims or take up flying lessons. Joe likes next-gen graphics. Joe likes excitement and action. Joe likes blowing stuff up and crashing into things. Joe doesn't have the patience, nor the motivation, to learn about traffic patterns, STARs or coordinated turns.

If you want to see how Joe Gamer reacts to "serious" flightsims, check out the Youtube videos by Nerd³ of Aerofly FS 1, X-Plane and FSX. Now imagine people like that trying to take DTG Flight School seriously and actually playing it as intended.

Just like MS Flight, this is a game without a target audience.

• Upvote 2

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Besides those true facts that JimmiG listed:

Repeating this "argument" constantly does not make it more true. I absolutely do not agree with that and nobody so far was able to give me a single reason why it should attract more people into flightsimming and grow the customer base. There is simply none.

- graphics? Nope.

- gameplay? Nope.

- Pricetag? Nope, the FSX:SE is not much more but offers more...

- advertisement? Nope, using rendered videos not representing actual game engine and screenshots with way to much HDR does not attract anyone nowadays...

- Publisher name? Maybe, as the train simulator of DTG is a solid product

What did I forget to list? Can anybody provide me anything additional that is not only valid if you already know what flightsimming is all about? I doubt...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

It's all pretty much as I expected but I have to say I'm just a little bit underwhelmed by it all.

I'm left with the feeling that this isn't so much an attempt at getting new people into flight simming but rather a way of extracting cash in the interim from those who are hoping that their new sim will indeed be "next generation" and would like a taster. A sort of stripped down early access, if you like. Really, it offers nothing which you would not expect to see in that full sim.

Perhaps they intend to give Flight School buyers a discount. Then, perhaps not..... 

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

With those graphics, I don't know that it will. You have to remember that "gamers" are used to the graphics in GTA 5, Battlefield etc. They'll fire this up and see the 2004-era graphics and conclude that it's like one of those really bad "job simulators" available on Steam. It's frankly shocking how far behind flightsim graphics (not just this sim) are compared to modern AAA games.

Anyway I don't think a brand new flight sim can attract that many new simmers even with up to date graphics.

It just doesn't do anything that would get the general public interested in flying or flightsims. The lessons are basic, heavily scripted and most importantly - boring. Managing to turn 90 degrees without getting nagged by a virtual instructor for losing altitude will not make Joe Gamer invest thousands in flightsims or take up flying lessons. Joe likes next-gen graphics. Joe likes excitement and action. Joe likes blowing stuff up and crashing into things. Joe doesn't have the patience, nor the motivation, to learn about traffic patterns, STARs or coordinated turns.

If you want to see how Joe Gamer reacts to "serious" flightsims, check out the Youtube videos by Nerd³ of Aerofly FS 1, X-Plane and FSX. Now imagine people like that trying to take DTG Flight School seriously and actually playing it as intended.

Just like MS Flight, this is a game without a target audience.

I don't think today's gamers are going to be very impressed with Flight School. The lessons are poor and overlook most every basic  a student  pilot has to learn prior to solo. Prior to takeoff, they don't even mention a mag check, or flight controls free and correct, or any checklist items. It's full throttle, go fast, and pull the stick back. and you are flying... wheee...... I think the flight dynamics in MS Flight were much better, If his product is sold as an intro to the way a flight sim looks, then OK, but to tell folks that if you get this product  and practice the lessons you will learn the proper and safe  way to fly an aircraft, not going to happen. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Went flying around Los Angeles. Everything set to Ultra, not ideal for my ancient computer
Is that why I saw the micro stutters from the video? What about a video with normal setting?

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Nevermind what all the comments of what we assume the newbies want...

Lets face it, we are all pretty jaded by now, having gone through all the sims & are STILL in search of our very own holy grails.

How about an actual comment from someone who knows nothing about flight sims at all? THAT is actually more revealing than anything from us.

• Upvote 4

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Nevermind what all the comments of what we assume the newbies want...

Lets face it, we are all pretty jaded by now, having gone through all the sims & are STILL in search of our very own holy grails.

How about an actual comment from someone who knows nothing about flight sims at all? THAT is actually more revealing than anything from us.

You will probably find a few of those people on the Steam forum, not on this forum. 

Exactly. That's where their target market is, not here.

:Talking Ear Off: :t0152:

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

You will already find those comments on the STEAM forums and guess what? They are either complaining about the fact that the screenshots look far better than what they see on their computer (no surprise to established FSX flightsimmers), they complain about the fact that the pre-rendered advertisment videos are much better than the actual sim graphics (again no surprise to us flightsimmers), they complain about the bugs and errors in the scenarios called "lessons" (again no surprise) and they complain about the general old-fashioned look of the sim (what a surprise, again...).

I repeat myself, as obviously some people here still miss the point: the things DTG Flight School offers that ARE improved compared to FSX, FSX:SE or even P3D can not be properly judged by a "new customer" not into flightsimming so far. Yes, you can continue to argue that it is not "US" what is supposed to be the target market, yet you continue in the same time listing arguments that are only valid for exactly this kind of customer, meaning "US". Basic example: the 64bit story. No new customer will care about 64bit. As a new customer in 2016, you simply EXPECT that the program you buy is 64bit. So, the 64bit argument is only valid or of importance to those having troubles with the 32bit variant of ESP, means: again "us". Another basic example: autogen popping. A novel customer does not care about autogen popping, he simply expects up-to-date visual appearance. So, the autogen-popping is another argument only valid or of importance to those already seen FSX or FSX:SE and being annoyed by the autogen popping. Third example: menue interface appearance and the flight instructor, e.g. the "lessons". Basically the only relevant improvements DTG did, again another example only of importance if you already KNOW how bad this was in FSX. A novel customer does not know that all the menue was redone (compared to FSX), he does not know that things are improved (compared to FSX), he simply judges what he gets (NOT compared to FSX). And sorry to say and to repeat it again and again: this is not much...

So, although some of you continue to insist that it is "not us", the market DTG Flight School would like to reach, it is basically only arguments that people can properly judge, meaning those like us who already know FSX, FSX:SE or P3D, that speak in favour of DTG Flight School. Somethings wrong there, no?

• Upvote 3

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS