Sign in to follow this  
RamonB

Flight School Unlocked

I give up. I will wait for some update to return to this SIM. I am tired of fighting with the trim and flaps all the time. The flight dynamics are horrible.

Luis, I don't find them "horrible" at all. Different yes, but not so bad I can't adapt.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I think the main problem lies in that many of us expects to fill the tech gap since 2006 (fsx release), when in fact DTG only started one or two years ago at most, with far less people in the team, and not all of them kowing the engine.

Understanding this, I decided to "support" flight school and late this year DTG Flight sim, if prices are no too high. Eventually, they will çatch up.

• Upvote 3

I agree, the Super Cub flight dynamics are one of the few "pleasant" surprises I've encountered in the sim so far.  I really like how it bounces it you set it down with a little too much airspeed... better than the FSX Cub which will ground loop if you just look at it funny.  The DT Cub will even spin!  Not on par with a Realair spin - but at least it doesn't turn into a spiral and gain airspeed like the FSX defaults.  Not perfect... but certainly enjoyable to fly.  I do have to laugh when I see the ailerons in the visual model signaling a left turn with the stick at neutral though... at least it doesn't impact the flight dynamics.

I haven't spent much time with it, but the Cherokee may have some issues - it won't stay in a bank... always wants to return to wings level.

I haven't spent much time with it, but the Cherokee may have some issues - it won't stay in a bank... always wants to return to wings level.

Confirmed.

The DT Cub will even spin! 

I read this and had to give it a try. Not bad! I didn't have much success with a forward slip though.

Barry Friedman

You were already in a turn. I'd sure as heck hope a wing would continue to drop in a turn if stalled. It'd be pretty impossible not to. 

Go do a regular power off stall. 

Stalling on a base to final turn is basically a death sentence in real life. I got distracted in real life years ago and nearly had that happen. Needless to say, I've never let that be an issue again. You are going to go into a spin in that situation and there's no getting out of it at those altitudes.

You might want to go refresh your knowledge on coordinated vs. Uncoordinated stalls.

If you are in a coordinated turn and then induce a stall while still being in coordinated flight, a wing isnt going to drop. Ive donw plenty of stalls in turns and the wings stay wherethey are.....until rudder is involved.

Even on a base to final turn, one could stall an airplane in the turn and as long as its a coordinated turn, it will be just as easy to recover from compared to a wings level power on/off stall.

The only reason people make it look like a stall on a base to final turn is so horrible is because most ineperienced pilots overshoot final and try to correct by adding rudder and getting into uncoordinated flight and then wind up stalling while being uncoordinated.

Seriously, read up on this stuff. Also, go do some stalls in turns. See that its not a big deal.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Luis, I don't find them "horrible" at all. Different yes, but not so bad I can't adapt.

After a update for 'french version' the trim and flaps began to function properly. I think there were more hidden fixes in this update. Let's forget. What matters is that it was good now. Let's fly and explore this new SIM.

You might want to go refresh your knowledge on coordinated vs. Uncoordinated stalls.

If you are in a coordinated turn and then induce a stall while still being in coordinated flight, a wing isnt going to drop. Ive donw plenty of stalls in turns and the wings stay wherethey are.....until rudder is involved.

Even on a base to final turn, one could stall an airplane in the turn and as long as its a coordinated turn, it will be just as easy to recover from compared to a wings level power on/off stall.

The only reason people make it look like a stall on a base to final turn is so horrible is because most ineperienced pilots overshoot final and try to correct by adding rudder and getting into uncoordinated flight and then wind up stalling while being uncoordinated.

Seriously, read up on this stuff. Also, go do some stalls in turns. See that its not a big deal.

There are absolutely planes that will drop a wing no matter how much rudder you hold once you enter a deep stall. A Cherokee is mundane and isn't gonna drop a wing. A Cessna 150 or a Mooney will scare the crap out of you if you aren't ready. 

Whether you can recover a base to final stall depends on how quickly you execute the recovery and how much you are skidding (to your point). If you let it deep stall, you are gonna have a hard time recovering in time. If you let it buffet and respond to the initial drop immediately, you can recover quickly enough to not lose a ton of altitude. Thats not a real deep stall. If you enter a deep stall on the base to final turn, most pilots are gonna end up going in. There's a reason it's called the most dangerous turn. 

The post I was responding to said he got into some stalls he was surprised he made it out of. I'm assuming that means he took it deep into the stall vs. pushing into an immediate recovery. 

I've done plenty of stalls in real life in different situations and every plane responds differently. Some planes drop a wing easily. Some don't. If you are perfectly coordinated in a base to final turn with no skid, you aren't going to stall in the first place (assuming you are in a normal decent profile to the runway). So while I understand your point, I think it's a bit beside it. The most common reason people stall/spin on base to final is the skidding turn which causes the unexpected drop in airspeed. 

There are absolutely planes that will drop a wing no matter how much rudder you hold once you enter a deep stall. A Cherokee is mundane and isn't gonna drop a wing. A Cessna 150 or a Mooney will scare the crap out of you if you aren't ready. 

If you enter a deep stall on the base to final turn in most any aircraft, you aren't recovering from it at that altitude unless you are much higher then a normal base would dictate. A slight chirp and some mush as you approach the stall, you can get out of, but if you actually stall it and you drop into the turning wing, you aren't getting out of it at 500 feet AGL. Coordinated flight is not going to magically give you the lift to stop from dropping into the turn if you stall an airplane.

I don't need to read up on this stuff. I've done lots of power on and power off stalls in real life in different aircraft. But if you doubt me, go get in a plane with a go pro and stall a plane while turning base to final and see if you live to post it.

ill agree with your statement about a 150 dropping a wing.

However,you're still very confused on the base to final argument. Besides, you NEVER said anythijg regarding deep stalls. Thats a totally different scenario and one which i agree with you. However, you mentioned that if i stalled in a turn, i would never get out of it. Ive done turns at altitude with students to demonstrate that you arent going to spin or go into the beginning stages of one just because you stall in a turn.

Yes, some airplanes will always drop a wing. Im very well aware of that. However, yoir statements are very absolute on the matter.

I never said coordinated flight would magically save you from dieing in an airplane. Once again, pick an argument and stick with it. If you are talking about deep stalls, then yes, we agree on everything.

You never mentioned deep stalls, just stalls.

Besides, you mentioned you have done a yon of power on/off stalls. How many times have you recovered before losing 500 ft. You are right that its a deadly sxenario but come on....

Before you say anything, i know depending on the airplane, ine wouldnt be able to recover from any stall before 500 ft.

So to answer your question, i have 2500 hrs total time with 1000 as a CFI and another 1000 in turbine airplanes.

Im sure you have tons more time but you arenr ckrrect on all your statements.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I edited my post before seeing your response to clarify the situation I'm talking about. 

I assumed, given the guys description, he was talking about entering a deep stall. I didn't make that clear in my initial response. Hopefully the edit makes it clear what I was talking about. 

If we are talking about entering an initial stall in a coordinated turn with no skid, then yes, you can recover from that and lose only a few hundred feet. That's my fault for mixing issues. 

I don't understand why they haven't been able to do something about the color palette and gamma. Skies are still an odd, unrealistic lavender color, clouds are not shaded right, and the ground is still too dark and muddy. There are obviously other issues too, like pop-in and blurred textures, but those are technical issues that we can expect to be solved. The color palette and gamma on the other hand, seems like just a weird intentional choice by their art director.

DTG should know what skies and terrain look like. Apart from what all the other flight sims are doing, their own train sims have better looking skies and clouds. Blue skies in daytime ought to be something of a minimum requirement in a flight sim, yes?

As a preview of what's coming in the full FS, it's not a good indication. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is just an aberration, and they'll get serious about a more realistic look of the world outside the cockpit in the upcoming sim. I would like to buy another fly sim (in addition to the ones I already fly), but not if it looks like this.

Paraffin, I agree with you. I prefer the second picture bellow (more natural colors) than the first one. 

SIM-Gama.jpg

Paraffin, I agree with you. I prefer the second picture bellow (more natural colors) than the first one.

A problem is that the weird illumination is doing bad things to the Orbx textures, and they're not being seen in a favorable..... light.

At all.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Maybe you missed his "ancient computer" part. But the fact that it even runs on ultra settings at an acceptable level on modest hardware is much more than can be said about other sims. But you wouldn't care about those details, as long as you get another chance to bash what other people enjoy. Probably why some of your other repetitive posts got deleted for trolling by admins. 

I agree completely!  Some people just live for the opportunity to bash any new product that is released.  I believe there is a little bit of immaturity that is the culprit, more than anything.

I am using Flight School and enjoying it very much. It is very smooth, you can see FSX written all over it, so there is no learning curve to the user interface, and best of all, it's fun.

It's rekindled my interest in GA again and I'm flying small aircraft in X-Plane and P3D now too, and loving it.

People need to take into consideration that Flight School is simply a preview of the much bigger flight simulator project that Dovetail is making.

Flight School is very reduced in options and features, but gives a look into the wonderful work that Dovetail is doing with our beloved FSX.  

I think they are doing a great job! I expect the new Dovetail Flight Simulator to be outstanding, from what I'm seeing in Flight School.

Don't worry. I'm sure that when the full version is released, we will have all of the gamma and display controls to make it look however we want it to.  Also we will buying and pumping it up with new addon scenery.

Bob