Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

LOVING IT!

- Biggest bugbear for me is the bloody autogen pop-in and blurries / texture pop-in. Really annoyed to see this is still an issue; is it something unavoidable with ESP platforms?

I guess so, and imagine it would require a total rewrite of the terrain system to prevent it, which of course is not impossibe (and P3D has pop free Autogen already). In my limited experience with X-Plane, it seems this is one area they really have done right, as I don't recall ever seeing popping terrain tiles, or blurries. In fact it seems no matter how much you zoom into the distance the terrain is always sharp. I assume this is the case with 3rd party scenery too?

I agree with all your points above btw.

The only idea I can come up with is that DTG wanted Flight School to look significantly different than FSX. And apparantly they held on to that design choice even when the result was actually worse than FSX under certain circumstances - a unique look seemed to be more important than a pretty look.

I would say all circumstances personally. If your assumption is correct, then I hope they have the balls to admit they were wrong, and drastically change the lighting and weather. I'll not be touching their full sim if it looks like this, no matter what other features they add.

In my limited experience with X-Plane, it seem this is one area they really have done right, as I don't recall ever seeing popping terrain tiles, or blurries.

That's true, but then, when you select the extended tile mode in the rendering options, flying at the levels airliners and turboprops usually opperate at, it's not uncommon to see a blank tile next to the one you're flying accross, because it hasn't yet been loaded into memory :-(  Very distracting I should say...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

it's not uncommon to see a blank tile next to the one you're flying accross, because it hasn't yet been loaded into memory :-( Very distracting I should say...

Ah ok, I've not seen this, but then I only fly low and slow, which I guess would not be affected by this?

Ah ok, I've not seen this, but then I only fly low and slow, which I guess would not be affected by this?

I believe the lower you fly in X-Plane 10.45, the best to avoid this effect....

I also don't like, although Terra Haze can help, the way the cloud cover is rendered in the distance, specially when flying at airliner cruise altitudes.

I was mainly using X-plane as a scenery generator, rather than as a flight simulator, and both these limitations / bugs cause a lot of annoyance...

I have to try setting the LOD in DTG Flight School to 12, as some have suggested.... Let's see how it handles in my i5 2500 :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Frankly I think MS Flight looks better and the flight physics are better and it's free.

....and dead.

• Upvote 2

Hi Bill,

How do you change properties, to enable the run as administrator please?

Cheers,

Mal,

You right click on the icon, when the box of options appears click on security and look at the bottom of the page .Tick the required box and then apply and you should be good!

The more LM add to P3D, the more of a headache the project of "moving" it to a 64 bit platform will be.

So I intuitively feel DTG's approach may lead to faster results, in terms of a fully featured 64 bit platform.

Sounds logical to me!

Hi Norman,

I don't have this box to tick at the bottom of my security page, never mind, thanks any way!

Hi Norman,

I don't have this box to tick at the bottom of my security page, never mind, thanks any way!

Me too. The automatically generated desktop link goes to 

http://steam://rungameid/441920

How did you guys manage to set this to run as an administrator?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Rather than the desktop icon, I suspect you will have to go into your steam folder and find the actual exe, then change that to run as admin.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

HiFlyer -

Rather than the desktop icon, I suspect you will have to go into your steam folder and find the actual exe, then change that to run as admin.

Or even make a shortcut to the .exe and run administrator from that.

Unfortunately in my case, my laptops nvidia isn't recognised by Flight School so I have to use the shortcut to force it on (Ghost in the machine from the old FSX code - it doesn't see it either)

....and dead.

...in your dreams only!

-eelis-

I guess so, and imagine it would require a total rewrite of the terrain system to prevent it, which of course is not impossibe (and P3D has pop free Autogen already). In my limited experience with X-Plane, it seems this is one area they really have done right, as I don't recall ever seeing popping terrain tiles, or blurries. In fact it seems no matter how much you zoom into the distance the terrain is always sharp. I assume this is the case with 3rd party scenery too?

Yes, as long as the 3rd party scenery is using either the default "Lego brick" scenery or custom 3D models. Sharp as a tack at long distance. If it uses an orthophoto bitmap as a base layer it can blur a bit. 

Most of my sim flying is below 15,000 ft. in bush planes, vintage GA planes, and helicopters. The way you can zoom like that and still see fine detail is one of my favorite things about X-Plane. In the FSEconomy game, I'm often flying into a tiny airstrip I've never visited before. The GPS will get me there, but I still need to identify the runway visually on a non-precision approach, which is tricky in crappy weather, or if it's a grass strip that's hard to separate from the surrounding terrain. So a lot of my approaches involve putting on my "Chuck Yeager Eyes" (zooming into the far distance) to locate the darned runway. "I know it's out there somewhere... ah ha!...there it is, just inside that tree line!" 

I'm so used to flying like this now, that I couldn't fly a sim that didn't show high-res detail in the distance like that. If the upcoming DTG flight sim can solve the distance problem then I'm very interested in it. And if not...

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

X-plane also does a great job at simulating how hard it can be to see runways because of how it blends the airport boundary into the surrounding terrain. That's absolutely something that needs to be on DTG's radar. The FSX style "airport pads" look horrible and make it so easy to find airports. 

Of course at night, it's the opposite as X-plane has a bug (I guess you'd call it that), where the runway lights are unbelievable bright from far away, much like FSX. 

That's the one thing no sim has ever gotten right, that I've tried at least. Unless it's a major international airport, it's freaking tough to see runway lights at night, especially in a light polluted area. I often see the rabbit before I truly clearly see the runway lights. 

Blending of the airport environment and lighting with the surroundings should be important for a next-gem simulator. 

• Upvote 1