Sign in to follow this  
mrthorlacius

IGFLY vs. Project Tupolev

I have both:First, just to be entirely clear, the IGFLY Tu-154M is payware, while the Project Tupolev Tu-154b-2 is freeware. Both have forums devoted to the jet, but the IGFLY forum has seemingly been abandoned by the developers, as calls for support and promised upgrades have largely been ignored. The Project Tupolev support forum (separate forums in English, French, Russian, German, and Hungarian!!!) is very active, with answers to questions appearing very, very quickly.Both jets will require a lot of study of the manuals, as Russian aircraft can differ greatly from their North American and Western European counterparts. In addition, if you don't already have a good working knowledge of the Cyrillic alphabet, you'll have to learn it, as all the instruments in both jets are labelled that way (albeit both have tooltips in English).The Project Tupolev manual is quite detailed and weighs in at 165 pages. By contrast, the IGFLY manual is 21 pages, and the separate tutorial is 33 pages. In spite of the length of manuals, I found that I was up more quickly flying the IGFLY aircraft. The navigation system is not as complicated as that in the Project Tupolev aircraft, using a system that incorporates the FS2004 flight planner--some may say that this part of the simulation is "dumbed down." The Project Tupolev navigation system of the aircraft can get very complicated, due to the Russian HBY system. To be fair, there is an in-craft virtual HBY navigation assistant that can navigate the aircraft, but it is yet one more thing to learn.Overall, as far as quality is concerned, the two aircraft are close, with perhaps the Project Tupolev a little ahead. Its combination of excellent 2-D panels, lengthy manual, and greater (to my mind, anyway) overall suspension of disbelief can simply not be equalled by the IGFLY aircraft.If you want to be up and flying relatively quickly, however, go with the IGFLY Tu-154M. If you enjoy studying manuals and are a procedure nut (as I am), go with the Project Tupolev Tu-154b-2. If you really want the best of both worlds, get both.Cheers!Joel

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Guest ha5mvo

Jon,well, my opinion might be a bit biased...but....The Igfly 154M is a good package. very good indeed, however IMO PT easily rises to the challange! why? -First and formost - PT is free!!!-system simulation is as comprehensive as possible. no shortcuts are taken in order to appeal to the "casual" simmer.-PT is an ever evolving project, it constantly keeps improving and breaking new grounds in MSFS modelling, such as: weather dependent friction/breaking and ground handling ambiant temp. dependent engine performance a black box (and an analysis utility)as well as other features such as accurate CoG dependant stabilizer system, an almost complete and accurate representation of 3 navigation systems: NVU, KLN90B, INS I-21; a dedicated weather radar "Groza 154"; a completely functional fuel/ fuel distribution system; complete implementation of the TKS gyro system, and many more unique features that are either not available or partialy modeled in the IGfly 154M.The Igfly on the other hand offers excellent eye candy. the panel bitmaps are great, and it adnitedly surpasses PT in that respect.Mind you, the PT version is that of the 154B - a slightly different aircraft. If you are willing to wait, a brand new M version is on the way, but no release dates can be given as of yet.So, my advise to you - get PT first! its free. If after all you feel that Igfly can offer you more - you can always buy it.you are also welcomed raise any issues on the PT forum:http://www.protu-154.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2best regards//Michael

Guest ecv737

I have been tempted to get the IGFLY 154 B but after myvery sad experience with their Walk and Follow software(an Active Camera look alike) I have almost decided to take my losses and go elsewere.I bought Walk and Follow on September the 6th and even after lots o emails to them, and posting at their Forum I am still waiting to get my key to activate their product.I do not know about you guys, I guess you have been lucky.If you go to their Forum you will see several postings complaining about not receiving the Key.I wonder if I could get my money via my credit card bank. Edmundo CardenasCaracas, Venezuela

http://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannersupporter.jpgProud Pilot Meridian VA

Slightly off topic, but since you mentioned you were a system simulation freak, enjoying steam gauges, and also got a VC habit, I would highly recommend SSTSIM's Concorde.

Rune B.