Sign in to follow this  
JasonW

What motherboard do you guys recommend for best performance on P3Dv3

Thinking about a new build and since ill probably get one of the new 1080 cards. What motherboard will give the best performance? I see some of you using asus, I have been using asrock extreme with my older i7 build. 

What are the things to look for when considering a motherboard? 

Thanks

Asus for me.have had several Asus boards, have been fairly reliable apart from one board. Great UEFI, easy to navigate with great features. Asus provide superb fan control, lots of headers.

You may be a manual overclocker but the Asus software does come with 5 way optimization which is a very good, system specific, auto overlcocking feature.

Asus boards overclock great as well of course, they are designed for it.

So what are you considering? Skylake?

If it's any help, I went for...

Lian Li X510 - This is the big variable of course. You can buy a case for a few pounds or many hundreds of pounds. My preference is for high end aluminium enclosures.

Intel i7 6700K

Noctua NH-D15S - I don't favour AIO water coolers. I prefer large tower heat sinks that have zero chance of leaks, no chance of a pump becoming noisy or failing and are quiet. The Noctua enables high overclocks with little noise.

Windows 10 - Don't sim much these days, so any incompatibility with W10 and flight sim is less of an issue.

Asus Z170-A - Didn't need anything more than this. It overclocks well, seems reliable and has all the features I desire. Good price too.

GKill Ripjaw V 3200 MHz. GSkill use top-notch Samsung modules and designed the RAM specifically with Skylake in mind. Great RAM.

EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified - Was considering the Kingpin, but a bit pricey and the 980Ti is enough. may switch to the new Nvidia architecture some time in the future. EVGA, so great support and reliability. 

Samsung 850 Evo 1TB - Didn't need anything more. Didn't really need M.2 or U.2. Fast enough for now and reliable. I don't subscribe to the multi drive philosophy, not necessary these days in my opinion.

Enermax 850 Watt multi-rail PSU - More wattage than I really need but has the advantage of hitting the most efficient 50% range the majority of the time. Multi-rail as it's less likely to damage other components in the system if the short circuit protection fails. This is due to a lower OCP trip point per rail, compared with a single rail PSU.

I should add that the Enermax PSU is a "semi-modular" PSU. I don't see the point in fully modular PSU's. We all need certain cables, and they are the cables attached to a semi-modular PSU. Different story if you wish to replace all the cables with fancy coloured ones of course.

Samsung Portable Blue-ray writer - My Lian Li enclosure has no optical drive facility, so opted for an external drive for the rare occasions I use optical media. 

Still to buy keyboard, mouse and monitor. 

Those were my choices and thought process.