Sign in to follow this  
AlbacoreTunaMan

DTG released their Flight School today

This topic has been discussed in length on this forum, and I have posted my thoughts on the DTG forum already.  My expectations were for more.  I'm sure many of you plunked down the $15 bucks to have a look as well.  All I saw was an FSX continued, but not improved a bit.  For me, MS Flight is still a stratosphere higher.

Ever since the first alpha or beta videos/screens came out, I knew that DTG would be nothing innovative, despite the fan boys proclaiming otherwise.

I am not the target audience, but I would have supported Dovetail, even with $50, if they would have put a little bit effort into this.

When I see the clouds and the strange hue as a horizon, I can only say, that they have a very loooong way to go to impress anyone who is a seasoned flight simmer with their upcoming FS.

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

Thank God we have Flight to fly with!

Not waiting anymore Dovetail's flight sim...

-eelis-

I wonder how many of the posters in this thread remember getting exactly these types of posts from existing FSX users when Flight was first released?

• Upvote 1

Give people power to really test their personality.

I thought the same thing, but it is a bit different.  Many people didn't like the design choices in Flight (some of them even without fully trying everything it had to offer), and it was not criticism of the technical capabilities or polish.  It sounds like the opposite sort of complaints with Flight School.  I'm sure they will fix some of the bugs with time, but some of the criticisms are something that is just part of the 10 year old FSX tech and will probably not change for DTG Flight Sim either.

With DTG Flight Sim you will be paying for FS11, but it is the FS11 that would have been 8 years ago, not the one that people would expect in 2016.

• Upvote 4

I just tried the first two missions of Flight School - so some first impressions.

- It seems my slightly aging but not too shabby system (Core i5-2500 + Radeon HD 7700) is not powerful enough to provide smooth framerates in Flight School. Both MS Flight and stock FSX with some freeware addons work much better in this respect on my system and run smooth like butter. I suspect DX11, the adapted ORBX Global and the underlying FSX engine might require a more powerful machine/graphics card?

- The whole user interface is reasonably well designed, but setting up or adjusting the controllers is not very intuitive.

- I really liked the default settings for the XBOX 360 Controller in MS Flight, why did they not use the same settings by default in Flight School and use all control buttons? This will be the main controller many gamers will use on their PC/console.

So - is it worth 15 quid, probably yes. Is there room for improvement - definitely yes... Though I still prefer MS Flight for simple bush flying. ;-)

Every new sim or derivative elicits these same comments.  Kind of like deja'vu all over again.

I thouroughly enjoyed Flight and still do but I'm willing to give the DTG school a fair try too. After all, guys, it is new and we should not expect it to be smooth as silk.  I'm willing to give it a little time (about 15 bucks worth) to show me what it has and what DTG is willing to do with the comments and dare I say "complaints".

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Honestly, I am considering purchasing this game just for the flight instruction alone. I have been simming for years but still lack some of the basic procedural knowledge. I don't really care much about the graphics because my P3Dv3 works perfectly with 99% of my addon library. I am not looking to replace that any time soon. 

So... question. Forget graphics. How are the lessons? Deep enough?

Would it be worth 15 bucks as a mission addon for FSX/P3d?

"Would it be worth 15 bucks as a mission addon for FSX/P3d?"

I think it would be great. It adds more resources for a game already full of them. But the problem, at least for me, is that I only fly Flight. And if I'm going try something else, should be something better than Flight. I've reading comments the buyers made and I don't think ( and I repeat; at least for me ) it worth the 15 bucks. Anyway I don't fly neither FSX or P3d.  :smile:  :smile:  :smile:

It's actually irrelevant what you fly!

So, DTG's Flight School is not a mission for FSX/P3D at all, & it is not meant to replace anything you fly or do not fly. It is a totally new sim/game, whatever you prefer to call it, that is geared up to introduce new comers to try a pretty cheap introduction to flying. No more, no less!

It is certainly NOT aimed at existing flight simmers at all. (as commented by Martin in one of his posts!)

Hopefully, this release will encourage newcomers into our hobby, & remember, our future developers are out there!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

"It is certainly NOT aimed at existing flight simmers at all."

That explain it all. I've been playing flight simulators since 1998. I'm 63 now. When a new simulator came out, we were expecting some improvements over the older ones. The Flight Simulator franchise,  X plane, Fly!, FlightGear, etc. I've flown all of them. Flight is the best simulator for pc yet. So I'm still waiting for something better, meanwhile I got Flight. 

Flight is the best simulator for pc yet. So I'm still waiting for something better, meanwhile I got Flight.

That sounds similar to myself and Flight Unlimited 3. I used this exclusively between 1999 and 2008, because I was fed up with the same old crap that Microsoft was peddling. For the record, I thought that every version of MSFS from FS5 to FS2002 was rubbish (and like an idiot with the memory of a goldfish, I purchased all of them).

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I view Flight School as a technology demo. A glimpse at how far DTG has come in understanding the innards of FSX and going on to sculpt it to their own purposes of a future full flight sim, supposedly within the year.

In that regard, there's not much to see. I find the vaunted Orbx textures poor, the sky water, and clouds ugly, and the framerate not seriously exceeding what one already has in P3D.

I would call it a worthwhile FSX mission pack, and worth the $15, but would then go on to say that modern audiences are likely be singularly unimpressed by the seriously dated graphics.

The big draw might be the switch to 64bit, but its not evident at all how that's making things better at this point.

The question arises; how much further can DTG go to create something other than a simple FSX clone in the time remaining?

Tune in at the end of the year.........?

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The question arises; how much further can DTG go to create something other than a simple FSX clone in the time remaining?

That is the 64,000 bit question, Devon :wink: I remain sceptical, but I will wait and see what happens.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I find the vaunted Orbx textures poor, the sky water, and clouds ugly, and the framerate not seriously exceeding what one already has in P3D.

Nice little summary there. :Whistle: :lol: