Sign in to follow this  
JYW

Views on JAR A330 vs IXEG 737

So you asked for advice which one you should buy and clearly everyone or most advised the IXEG as well as I would have done because JAR is mediocre at best and you still went ahead and bought the JAR en now you deleted it already :)  Well out of the next 2 you want to buy I would go for the Saab 340 if you like systems depth but the Emraer is also not too bad.

Did you mis-read above,  - I did buy the IXEG 737?

I asked for advice between the IXEG 737 and JAR A330.  The advice was overwhelmingly in favour of the IXEG, so I bought the IXEG.  :wink:    The A320 purchase was an additional afterthought, because as I explained, I really wanted to try an Airbus A3XX in X-Plane.

Anyway, these things happen - we all sometimes spend cash on an add-on that disappoints.  I'm not complaining so can't see any issue?

• Upvote 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Did you mis-read above,  - I did buy the IXEG 737?

I asked for advice between the IXEG 737 and JAR A330.  The advice was overwhelmingly in favour of the IXEG, so I bought the IXEG.  :wink:    The A320 purchase was an additional afterthought, because as I explained, I really wanted to try an Airbus A3XX in X-Plane.

Anyway, these things happen - we all sometimes spend cash on an add-on that disappoints.  I'm not complaining so can't see any issue?

He mentions you bought the IXEG but still went ahead and bought the 320 which is the worse of the JAR birds. Anyways enjoy the 733 it's really fantastic.

He mentions you bought the IXEG but still went ahead and bought the 320 which is the worse of the JAR birds. Anyways enjoy the 733 it's really fantastic.

Actually, if you read his post, he doesn't mention that I bought the IXEG.   Hence why it appeared he believed I'd just bought the JAR A320, against advice.

Anyway, wer're here to talk about this wonderful simulator, aren't we?   I'm not sure how the discussion and analysis of my buying habits started.    It's very simple;  post was entitled Jar A330 vs IXEG 737.... the advice for those two, was for the IXEG.   So I took the advice and bought the IXEG.    :rolleyes:

Thank you, I'm really enjoying the 733 - it's sublime. :smile:

Bill

Actually, if you read his post, he doesn't mention that I bought the IXEG.   Hence why it appeared he believed I'd just bought the JAR A320, against advice.

Anyway, wer're here to talk about this wonderful simulator, aren't we?   I'm not sure how the discussion and analysis of my buying habits started.    It's very simple;  post was entitled Jar A330 vs IXEG 737.... the advice for those two, was for the IXEG.   So I took the advice and bought the IXEG.    :rolleyes:

Thank you, I'm really enjoying the 733 - it's sublime. :smile:

I think it's no contest like everyone said, but I liked the 330 too (maybe instead of buying the 320 you should have purchased the 330 too instead of it?).

As far as the Embraer goes, do you maybe mean the 175? That's the one that came out recently and looks pretty good.

I'm not sure how the discussion and analysis of my buying habits started.   

The discussion started when you asked what you should buy? and I repeat your opening post :) 

"For my next airliner purchase for X-Plane, I'm undecided between the JAR Design A330 and the IXEG 737.  Would love to hear views from those that own both / either."

Anyway enjoy what you purchased ;-)

• Upvote 1

Saab 340 is good, it is the same era as 733, similar tech, they make a good pair.

Also, lovely and well done plane is a Jetstream 32, really love it and it was one of my 2 favorites with FF 767 before IXEG came out.

Make sure you have the latest version of the JAR-A320. While it does not improve the external model, it certainly improves cockpit textures, and also FMC operations. You just need to register at the JarDesign forum and look for updates. It's not going to get you anything close to IXEG but it will get you an Airbus that's not too bad for a (almost) one-man designer. I do not think it's priced right at all, but if you can get used to it and start flying it more, pick up the Blue Sky Star sounds. They improve the experience almost by double. 

X-Plane addons are currently hit and miss. They're either amazing or average to poor. It's early days for the sim and payware, we just have to be patient. I too, have paid for some bad stuff. But this Jar-A320 can be immersive if you work with it...

• Upvote 1

• Upvote 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Thanks guys - I've picked up the BSS sound pack for the A320 (and also own their work for the CRJ, and for the Aerosoft Airbuses in FSX).   They really add immersion.      Not sure when I'll drag myself out of the IXEG and back into the A320 though. :smile:

• Upvote 1

Bill

I know the feeling :) I've used the Jar  and FF767 once, since I bought the IXEG on release day! Apart from that, IXEG only!

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I know the feeling :) I've used the Jar  and FF767 once, since I bought the IXEG on release day! Apart from that, IXEG only!

Absolutely Jude.   The IXEG 737 is a hard act to follow, in any of the sim platforms.   It is unprecendented.   The sound of the electrical busses, when you pull on the APU Gens is just sublime! 

I bought the Saab 340 today and that is pretty stunning too.   I absolutely love that every single function is assignable to keyboard or joystick buttons.     That is ultimately what turns me off most about the JAR A320.   The AP is completely custom, and they've offerered no custom assignments at all.   I just cannot enjoy the aircraft while flying on the sidestick and having to let go and faff on with the mouse for AP engagement, Heading changes etc.   Just personal choice - I know many are happy with full mouse use.    I just like a keyboard button for engaging the AP and turning the heading knob at the very least.

I searched for a LUA script for keyboard assignability for the A320 - with no joy.

But with the IXEG, Saab and FF767 so fantastic, it's happy days all round!

• Upvote 1

Bill

But with the IXEG, Saab and FF767 so fantastic, it's happy days all round!

This is my personal 'holy trinity' as well ;) Tell me, have you been having problems with the Saab's engines being slow coming out of reverse? It seems that whenever I land, bring the power back, then bring it back up, the engines sound like they're shutting down and don't produce thrust for a minute or two, leaving me trapped on the runway.

This is my personal 'holy trinity' as well ;) Tell me, have you been having problems with the Saab's engines being slow coming out of reverse? It seems that whenever I land, bring the power back, then bring it back up, the engines sound like they're shutting down and don't produce thrust for a minute or two, leaving me trapped on the runway.

Coincidentally, I've just seen that phenomenon on my first "proper" flight in the Saab, from EDDF to EDLP.   I was caught out initially because I didn't realize that the full range of my throttle quad, includes the reverse range, with this aircraft.  I'm still used to FSX where the range in turbo-props tends to go down to idle, and you have to press F2 for reverse.    So when I started the engines and tried to taxi off, I had some *fun* in this plane, because I was in reverse when I thought I was in ground idle!

But yes....... I have just seen what you're describing, on landing at EDLP, and exactly as you said, I ended up at a dead stop on the runway, and the taxi to parking was a little odd-  with the power coming in very 'spiky'.

Bill

But yes....... I have just seen what you're describing, on landing at EDLP, and exactly as you said, I ended up at a dead stop on the runway, and the taxi to parking was a little odd-  with the power coming in very 'spiky'.

Good to know I'm not the only one! I've found that I can usually avoid this if, upon touchdown, I SLOWLY bring the levers back until the beta lights go on (not any further back). As the plane slows down, I then taxi it as normal, never activating reverse. I'm pretty confident that it's a bug though as you should be able to swiftly move the throttles into reverse without a problem. On the dev's forum, they said they haven't noticed the phenomenon, but they were using a new, as yet unreleased version so hopefully they accidentally fixed it. 

• Upvote 1

Sadly the IXEG's AP is still rather broken even after today's hotfix. It seems to only break after a turnaround with resetting the A/C.