Sign in to follow this  
darth_damian_000

What is JobScheduler Affinity Mask?

Do you heavily use the radio when you're simming?

Quite a lot, yes, for ATC (I always fly with ProATC) and I also use the view for the MCDU. Sometimes I simply look down with TrackIR but more often I press A to get there and A again to go back. Works very well.

That's right. The problem is that the textures are ridiculous. Everything seems fine when my view in the cockpit, or when it's a bird's eye view (although in this case I suppose its more accurate to call it a "international space station view") of the airplane and the scenery below it. The problem is this: When I cycle through camera views (I know, I know, I'm getting EZ-DOK soon), I will eventually end up on a view from the nearest tower. Once that happens, the textures go blurry. Like if the ground has grass, then the entire ground turns green (with a few houses sticking up). Similarly, the ground turns tan when I am over a desert. When I switch to a cockpit view, the textures look blurry and don't seem to want to reload after a few seconds.

This is by design. This is what I got from LM - my solution is to disable the tower view

Vic

Hey vgbaron,

This is Mike Jones from the rendering team. What you are seeing is a system that allows us to keep textures near you at a higher resolution, while we make textures farther away, a lower resolution. What happens when you switch to the tower view, is that your camera is now far away from the aircraft, and consequently it is far away from the textures around the aircraft. So we unload the high-resolution textures near the aircraft, and load in high resolution textures near the tower, so you don't have a performance decrease. When you rapidly switch between cameras, the higher resolution texture isn't loading in quickly enough for you not to see the lower resolution texture on your PC. That is why waiting a few seconds will fix the problem for you.

Mike
Michael Jones
Associate Software Engineer

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Steve ..... thank you Sir.

You're welcome!

What's the improvement offered by hyper threading?

For a bit of fun turn off hyper threading and use an AM=1, that forces the sim to use core zero. Doing that, seems I lost only 10-15fps from 70fps but it took more than twice as long to load. Turn HT back on and use an AM=3=00,00,00,11 still one core, right! Still using one core it's improved a little. Still takes a long time to load but it's a little bit smoother.

What's the damage of getting our AM wrong? Even with a really bad AM=3 the sim isn't too bad on performance. However, the long time it takes to load the scenario could indicate it would have problems as the sim progresses normally in a flight gathering scenery just before it comes into range.

We can intensify the scenery loading by increasing the number of cores given to the sim, but we can't improve the fps.

What if we don't have more cores? With HT enabled we can allocate more LPs which will intensify loading speed up to a point, since we still have no more cores, but it will improve if instead of 85 on our four core HT enabled we use 253=11,11,11,01 we preserve the core zero for the main sim job, and double up on all the remaining cores. This utilises the performance improvement of HT and loads the scenario more quickly.

This performance improvement to gathering scenery data may improve a blurry tile situation.

Since there's no AM been specified in the cfg, then it can be assumed that there's maximum loading capacity utilised. Although unlikely to cure a blurriness problem, It's possible to improve the sim overall by starting addons away from core zero, on cores 1,2,3 and use an AM=253 or 85 if loading speed isn't a worry, or venture into AM=116 territory with very many addon exes on the same machine.

Depending on the GPU it may be better to turn off Tessellation altogether, maybe move the mesh resolution slider back to half way, or at least 10 or less.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Want to 2nd rick66 in that Steve's post was the most clear and easy to understand explanation by far to date on how HT and AM works.  It has alluded me totally up to this point and trying to piece together bits of info from all the posts in the big AM thread.  Now i see....sort of :smile:   And please is there anyway we could have some kind of beginners guide on this so it is readily available?  Maybe now I might try the HT with AM setting with my new i7-6700k.  Thanks!