Sign in to follow this  
Guest nihongo

Computer Resources and how to minimize use of by other programs

Guest nihongo

Computer Resources and how to minimize use of by other programsI want to know how I can stop some programs from running when I start my computer. I have to go to the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) to shut down almost a dozen programs that I don't want running hogging my memory.And then there are programs which I don't know and I wonder if I can shut them down?How can I do this automatically so when my computer starts up it won't start these programs automatically?It would be very useful when flight simming.ThanksDaniel

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

I can't believe there's been no response to this.Download [a href=http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=57040]FSAutoStart[/a]. It'll do the trick. Wrote by our own Ken Salter. The website for FSAutoStart is http://www.kensalter.com/fsautostartGood luck Daniel!-Jeremy BurchThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!Pilot-The friction locks are causing the throttle levers to stick.Mechanic- Umm, that's what they're there for...

Guest panda234

Some of the wasted resources are obscene. I downloaded iTunes a while back and when you reboot, even if you haven't started it yet, there's a 3.7MB (!) iTunes "helper" application that is always running. Helping what? I still have to start iTunes to hear a tune so why do I need a helper application running in the background all the time? Craziness...billg

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

Jeremy nailed it: FS Autostart. I can add one tip though: I elect to have FS Auto defragment my memory space before exiting and discovered by accident that if you run the program 3 times in a row it gets increasing more efficient. I have 1 gig memory for example, and after the first run it reports something about 670meg free. next run, 850meg free, next run 905 meg. Then it hits an asymptote and subsequent runs increase free memory by only a tiny amount and are not worth the trouble. mind you, I am not changing anything on each run and all the service and programs have been shut down in the first run (so it also runs faster each time). It just seems to be able to consolidate more and more efficiently for a couple of runs.

Guest JIMJAM

I use End It All. No nearly as in depth as autostart but quick and easy. I could really tell no difference by really getting serious and going after single thing running as opposed to ending the major ones. BTW- Be careful using autostart or any simular program unless you REALLY no what you are doing. I though I did and after using autostart crashed my system and had to reload windows from scratch. Im sure it was my fault but I swore I would never do it again.

Guest nihongo

Thanks guys.I hate these memory hogs and these annoying little programs that want to install with Acrobat etc etc and you have no choice!Also some programs don't allow you to choose how they run, so you NEED to shut them down, or uninstall them.Daniel