Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Best way to update new C drive and keep FS installation

I was wondering the best way to get a larger drive and transfer or reinstall to a larger drive. My C drive is close to being full and I am wondering if I should transfer everything to my D drive as it is also getting full. Any suggestions would bew great and I am hoping to not have to reinstall everything again.Thanks Shayne

Guest kalas

If your going to buy a new hard drive they usually come with a CD with a program that allows you copy your old files on to new without having to reinstall everything. In a sense it will clone your old HD to the new one.

Shayne,I had exactly the same situation recently. I needed to buy a new drive to store FSGlobal (14Gb) so decided that I would move my FS9 installation to that new drive too.The key to doing this successfully is to keep the folder structure where FS9.EXE is stored the same.So, if it was on your C drive in a folder named FS9 - path would be C:FS9 - copy that entire folder and all its sub-folders to the root on your new drive. If that drive is your F drive then you now have a folder named F:FS9.The next bit has to be done carefully but is basically straight-forward. Open RegEdit - Start, Run, RegEdit and hit return. First, make a copy of your Registry. Choose File...Export and choose 'All'. Give it a suitable name and press Save. Hopefully it won't be needed but it's best to be safe.In the left-hand window in RegEdit click on 'My Computer' and from the menu select Edit, Find. Make sure the three boxes are ticked (they are by default) and type the original location of your FS9.EXE file. In this case it would be C:FS9. Click Find Next and after a short delay the first entry will be found.In the right window right-click the word 'Default' and choose Modify. Alter the entry to point to the new drive letter. Leave the rest of the string unaltered. Click OK and then hit F3 (find next). Continue to do this untill all entries relating to your old FS9 installation have been amended. It will take you around 15-30 minutes but it's a simple enough process.It requires concentration and care but it worked okay for me and a friend also changed things successfully.The main requirement is that the name of the FS9 folder mustn't change otherwise it makes it a lot more complicated. All you're changing is the drive letter where FS9 is installed.I hope that helps. Come back if you have any questions.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Shayne,You asked the question but haven't responded to any of the answers. Hopefully one of us will have pointed you in the right direction. :-hmmm Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Jozef_K

Ray,As I am going to add a new 200 Gb drive this weekend (better: I have my son do that for me; such things one should leave to the younger generation), your explenation on how to move FS2004 to a new drive was very welcome to me!I think that one thing has to be done too: all references in the SCENERY.CFG to the "old" drive should also be replaced by the new one. E.g. Local=C:FS2004Addon SceneryRakvereScenerybecomes Local=E:FS2004Addon SceneryRakvereScenery Of course only for scenery which moves to the new drive.Jozef http://homepages.onsnet.nu/~jkusters/signature.jpg

Hi Jozef,I'm pleased I was able to help. You're quite right to also include changes to the SCENERY.CFG. I had to change a couple of entries too but forgot to mention that action.I don't know how old you are but at 54 I can still manage a hard drive change. I built my own PC just under 2 years ago and amazingly it worked first time :-)Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

>I was wondering the best way to get a larger drive and>transfer or reinstall to a larger drive. My C drive is close>to being full and I am wondering if I should transfer>everything to my D drive as it is also getting full. Any>suggestions would bew great and I am hoping to not have to>reinstall everything again.>Thanks ShayneSorry as I was traveling and haven't had a lot of time to respond but thanks for all the suggestions, I still don't know whether I should just get a new C Dirve or A bigger D drive for all the fs stuff, I will have to look into it a little further.Thanks again.Shayne

>Shayne,>>You asked the question but haven't responded to any of the>answers. Hopefully one of us will have pointed you in the>right direction. :-hmmm >>CheersYes thank you, it has been very helpful and I really appreciate it.Shayne

Hi Shayne,Ah good. I'm glad I didn't type all that in vain :-)I suggest you leave the C drive well alone. Operating systems don't like being interfered with ;-)Moving all FS stuff onto a new D drive is by far the best plan. 200Gb drives are very cheap. I bought a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200Gb for 65UKP.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Jozef_K

Hi Ray,I could manage it, but I am getting a bit lazy lately. You may add some 9 years to your age. And sons are sometimes very useful!Saturday Windows XP (Home) crashed and could not be restored. Fortunately the new hard drive was not added yet, otherwise I would have blamed it for that. After a new install of Windows, I had to reinstall many things. Happily the FS2004 directory structure (and all of its files) where still intact. The most problems I have is to get the wireless Internet connection to work. Which I (and my son) did not yet manage. But with the old cable from my previous provider I succeeded in getting on line again now until things are fixed.Cheers,Jozef http://homepages.onsnet.nu/~jkusters/signature.jpg

Hi Jozef,You have to keep up to date just in case your son isn't available ;-)Sorry to hear of your problems - computers are great servants but lousy masters. Hope you get the internet connection working soon :-)Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather