Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

The Pipers....

In marketing, its called "Overcoming objections"

Few could deny that all the right things have been said. Most of it's even probably true. Myself, I've been very clear that I admire DTGs formidable sales skills.

https://www.boundless.com/marketing/textbooks/boundless-marketing-textbook/personal-selling-and-sales-promotion-14/the-personal-selling-process-91/handling-objections-454-6621/

You could legitimately call me a bit mulish, but given train-sims history, and the current state of Flight School, its going to be a while before I swallow the bait whole. I'm going to be very very interested in how quickly and effectively they fix problems, and I intend to keep my eyes wide open.

"Doveryai, no proveryai!"  :smile:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Oh for heaven's sake, we're not discussing a "real Cub" but a cheap gaming simulator. And yes, if you deliberately disable the crash effects in the sim you can descend at 8,000 FPM...

No, we are discussing flight physics, and you either make a sim that flies a bit like a real aircraft, or you make one where the aircraft flight characteristics are not realistic. This has nothing to do whether crash effects are disabled or not, it has to do with very poor flight physics. The flight model in Flight School.  is supposed to show newbies how to fly an aircraft, so why have an aircraft(s) , that doesn't fly like a real aircraft. And if that is the best that DTG can do, what makes anyone think that their full sim which is coming next, is going to be any better? DTG makes trains that don't mimic real trains, and most likely their flight sim won't be much different. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

In Froogle's video he had all his flight model sliders at zero (full left). Seeing as he didn't bother to set the sim up properly before making the video, I wouldn't give it much credence.

Barry Friedman

No, we are discussing flight physics, and you either make a sim that flies a bit like a real aircraft, or you make one where the aircraft flight characteristics are not realistic. This has nothing to do whether crash effects are disabled or not, it has to do with very poor flight physics.

I don't understand, why do you say it's physically impossible to have a 2,000 FPM descent in a Super Cub, particularly if crash detection is disabled? At the never exceed speed of 132 knots, a 2,000 FPM descent corresponds to a descent angle of -8.6 degrees. What is there of physically impossible in that?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I don't understand, why do you say it's physically impossible to have a 2,000 FPM descent in a Super Cub, particularly if crash detection is disabled? At the never exceed speed of 132 knots, a 2,000 FPM descent corresponds to a descent angle of -8.6 degrees. What is there of physically impossible in that?

You aren't gonna snap the wings off a Cub with a 2k FPM descent. But I probably wouldn't want to try it regardless. 

In regards to Froogle's video, his complaint was that while in the descent with airspeed reaching Vne, the nose wouldn't rise as it naturally should. 

In regards to Froogle's video, his complaint was that while in the descent with airspeed reaching Vne, the nose wouldn't rise as it naturally should. 

Now that is a serious flight model flaw!

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Murmur -

Now that is a serious flight model flaw!

Froogle was flying with the realism sliders all the way to the left.

I've just tried it with my default of everything to the right and it pulls up straight away.  I've never flown a real cub, but there's nothing in the flight model that seems 'stand out wrong' to me, it flies fine. :smile:

• Upvote 2

That aspect of Froogle's video preview really puzzled me. Why would someone as experienced with MS based flight simulators as Froogle make such a basic error, and then criticise the accuracy of the flight model? Surely he knows that he needs to move all of the realism sliders to the right?? :blink:

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

You aren't gonna snap the wings off a Cub with a 2k FPM descent. But I probably wouldn't want to try it regardless. 

I

That was my point, guess I didn't make it clear enough. The built in stability of a plane like the cub, and that speed would cause the nose to rise dramatically unless you put some serious forward pressure on the stick to hold it down. In the video, this was not done, and the cub descended like a P-51.    :wink:

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

And, once again it comes back to Froogle not setting the sim up properly. He is by no means any kind of "expert" with flight sims. He's a paid comedian.

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

And, once again it comes back to Froogle not setting the sim up properly. He is by no means any kind of "expert" with flight sims. He's a paid comedian.

To begin with, he left all the realism sliders at 0...