Sign in to follow this  
bcuomo

Locked at 24 fps?

I'm having a strange issue.  When I start the sim, at first my frame rate will be in the 40-50 range.  Then after a period of time it will suddenly throttle back to 24, seemingly locked at that number, even though "unlimited" is still displayed next to the counter.  Turning down the graphic settings has no effect.  I can correct by shutting down and restarting the sim.  Interestingly, it's still pretty smooth at 24 fps.  This has never happened in my other sims (FSX/P3D).  BTW I am running a 50" plasma TV as my monitor using HDMI?

Anybody else run into this issue?  Any thoughts on the cause?

I've noticed something similar, and that while the framerate might be high in aggregate its also very inconsistent, racing through high and low numbers almost randomly. I'm assuming its an optimization issue.

I've been trying a lot of things the past few days while I attempt to reach some sort of consistent opinion.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Then after a period of time it will suddenly throttle back to 24, seemingly locked at that number, even though "unlimited" is still displayed next to the counter.  Turning down the graphic settings has no effect.  I can correct by shutting down and restarting the sim.  

what kind of period of time are you talking about? a few minutes, an hour?

i haven't really seen this but i have only attempted a few flights in free mode that were rather short (15-30min range.)

i got some bad stutters when i finally tried one of the lessons, however i did not carefully examine the fps, i will keep it in mind on the next one and see if it hits that value. it was unclear if my stuttering was because of the scenery near where the lesson takes place or the scripting of the lesson itself.

cheers

-andy crosby

What are your graphics settings? Apparently, frame rates were being capped if you adjusted your graphics settings down, but an update has just been applied that fixes that and now guarantees unlimited frame rates whatever your settings.

I presume you are talking about DTG Flight, well on my very modest i5 2500k with 16 gig ram, and a AMD 2 gig card, I'm getting about 14 to 17 FPS in the missions, and about 25 to 50 ish FPS in free flight, depending on were I fly, and with the occasional stutters, and that's with all sliders moved to high from ultra high.

Cheers,

It would happen after only a few minutes.  I don't recall if it happened after doing something like changing views or it was just out of the blue.  Graphic settings were all the way to the right which is how the sim set itself up by default.  But turning the settings down had no effect...it was like I had the frames locked at 24.

Last night I tried again and I did notice that an update was applied on startup.  Frame rates seemed to be up again (in free flight) but they fluctuated quite a bit.  Unfortunately I didn't get much time to test it as we then had a major blackout in my area and that took care of that!

Okay...did some more testing and noticed that the trigger to the dropping fps is changing graphic settings.  Started out with frame rates jumping from 30-50, then went into graphic settings and REDUCED all sliders from ultra to high.  then frames dropped to 24.  Only thing that made fps go back up is shutting down and restarting the sim.  Strange.

After a few days with this dissapointing game, and after suffering several crashes in the missions, and in free flight (losing lost flying hours) i've un-installed, no great loss considering the cheap price paid, I'm happy with FSX SE, until I upgrade my modest and aging PC, hopefully next year!

Cheers,