Sign in to follow this  
Grady

Let's Fly - Meigs Field

Hello everyone...

I'm back, this time in the windy city.

525A Citation CJ2 on final - Meigs Field [KCGX].

26998310380_22db047e07_b.jpg

N68FF [KCGX] by Grady Evrard, on Flickr

525A Citation CJ2 stopover - Meigs Field [KCGX].

27177036312_80ddcbb27b_b.jpg

Meigs Field by Grady Evrard, on Flickr

525A Citation CJ2 - Meigs Field [KCGX].

26998308750_8793469dcd_b.jpg

525A Citation CJ2 sunrise - Meigs Field [KCGX].

26998309270_b896b53c6a_b.jpg

525A Citation CJ2 - Chicago Skyline.

26998309730_2bf064cb7a_b.jpg

525A Citation CJ2 - enroute to [KBUF].

26998309930_4873299e42_b.jpg

N68FF by Grady Evrard, on Flickr

Grady Evrard.

• Upvote 3

One of Aviation's Gems....Gone but NEVER Forgotten.

• Upvote 1

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Great shots!

Thank you!

One of Aviation's Gems....Gone but NEVER Forgotten.

Very true, I often wonder what it would be like today - possibly a small regional base, who knows. Such a shame.

Grady Evrard.

Will it ever get re-opened?

Nice shots. I reckon that any simmer familiar with MS flight sims knows where Meigs is and has used it! :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Really great shots!  I got my license back in 1994 at KUGN and I count myself extremely lucky to have a couple of log book entries for landing at KCGX.  The day Daley tore up that runway, I cried...Thanks for the post! 

• Upvote 1

Mike McWilliams

Asus Rog Maximus XI Extreme motherboard, Intel i9-9900ks CPU, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 TI video card, G.Skill  TridentZDDR4 32GB SDRAM, Samsung NVMe SSD 970 1TB

Many thanks for your comments - I will be posting screenshots here more often.

Will it ever get re-opened?

Nice shots. I reckon that any simmer familiar with MS flight sims knows where Meigs is and has used it! :cool:

Thank you. If only, there's a huge lake / stream running through it now - I think it's set to open as a park if it hasn't already. Ah yes, fond memories of being dropped there for a quick takeoff.

Really great shots!  I got my license back in 1994 at KUGN and I count myself extremely lucky to have a couple of log book entries for landing at KCGX.  The day Daley tore up that runway, I cried...Thanks for the post! 

Thanks Mike. Sitting here rather envious now, I used to follow a site called Friends of Meigs which you might find interesting, unfortunately it's not updated anymore.

Grady Evrard.

Many thanks for your comments - I will be posting screenshots here more often.

Thank you. If only, there's a huge lake / stream running through it now - I think it's set to open as a park if it hasn't already. Ah yes, fond memories of being dropped there for a quick takeoff.

Thanks Mike. Sitting here rather envious now, I used to follow a site called Friends of Meigs which you might find interesting, unfortunately it's not updated anymore.

Grady Evrard.

Yea, by the time the runway was destroyed by Daley, I was already living in Atlanta and I felt very frustrated and helpless.  I remember this sight and you can see every once in a while there is a little article that expresses a glimmer of hope that the airport will reopen, but I don't think it will ever happen.  Probably why there hasn't been any updates.  I started "playing" flight simulator from the very early days, that fueled a passion to get a license, and once I felt I had my proficiency where it needed to be (cross winds at Meigs could be tricky) I headed south!

I made a copy of my log book entry for July 6, 1996, almost 20 years ago and I remember it like yesterday!

Log%20Book%20-%205-28-16%207-53%20AM_zps

• Upvote 3

Mike McWilliams

Asus Rog Maximus XI Extreme motherboard, Intel i9-9900ks CPU, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 TI video card, G.Skill  TridentZDDR4 32GB SDRAM, Samsung NVMe SSD 970 1TB

WOW Mike...Very Cool :smile: 

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

WOW Mike...Very Cool :smile: 

Thanks Patrick.  I just noticed too...That flight to Meigs was my last in the Chicago area.  I moved to upstate NY in 98 and my next log entry is from a small airport in Fulton NY.  I went up with an instructor for a check ride and he was amazed that I was flying so well after such a long break.  I attributed that to my time with flight simulator, which I've never stopped using!

• Upvote 1

Mike McWilliams

Great looking Chicago skyline....love those!

HLJAMES

Yea, by the time the runway was destroyed by Daley, I was already living in Atlanta and I felt very frustrated and helpless.  I remember this sight and you can see every once in a while there is a little article that expresses a glimmer of hope that the airport will reopen, but I don't think it will ever happen.  Probably why there hasn't been any updates.  I started "playing" flight simulator from the very early days, that fueled a passion to get a license, and once I felt I had my proficiency where it needed to be (cross winds at Meigs could be tricky) I headed south!

I made a copy of my log book entry for July 6, 1996, almost 20 years ago and I remember it like yesterday!

Very very cool Mike, that's a piece of history right there!

Great looking Chicago skyline....love those!

HLJAMES

Thank you :smile: