Sign in to follow this  
TLight

Altering the sky colors

Alright, had another look at dawn / dusk

I wrote a routine that would take the first image in any group (sky_predawn1_0, sky_predawn2_0.bmp etc) and copy and rename it 9 times each. While this isn't how it should be done (there are variations within each group I think for altitude?) it served its purpose. By modifying only the first image in each set and letting the program handle the renaming, it went quite a bit faster.

You can get rid of the yellow sunrise / sunset graphics.

I thought at one point that 'sunglow.bmp' might have been the reason for the purple overtones across the sky, sadly it isn't solely responsible.

At present I'm thinking they could change all of this in short order and I'll be wasting my time.

I think I'm probably going to leave it at this stage. If Dovetail don't improve the graphics then maybe return to it at a later date.

Go to KLAS at daytime in summer.  :shok:

Now change it to night.  :shok:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

bthiago -

WOW amazing pics

:smile:

Dovetail have a major expo coming up soon and they said they have a couple of updates due.

I might be adding 1+1 and getting 3 but I'm keeping my fingers crossed they have a graphics update for the big show. :smile:

Have you given up on trying to improve the sky/haze graphics? They have released 6 updates with no improvements in that category at all.

I especially would like to increase the visibility; that alone would "push back" the haze factor, and vastly improve the sky appearance. I haven't had any luck finding any settings that could be adjusted though. :(

Ken

Have you given up on trying to improve the sky/haze graphics? They have released 6 updates with no improvements in that category at all.

That's my #1 complaint as well and I finally got round to nagging DTG via their facebook page. We'll see.

Barry Friedman

That's my #1 complaint as well and I finally got round to nagging DTG via their facebook page. We'll see.

There was a post at the Orbx site where JV said they had also discussed it with DTG, and that it was apparently a deliberate artistic decision on DTG's part. 

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

There was a post at the Orbx site where JV said they had also discussed it with DTG, and that it was apparently a deliberate artistic decision on DTG's part. 

Well, it sure looks like someone's artistic decision to favor some idea of a painterly palette over what natural sky and cloud colors look like.

But I still can't understand it, and here's why. This same company makes a popular train sim where the sky color and clouds look realistic. Why would they make completely different "artistic decisions" about a flight sim than they would for their train sim? Isn't a blue sky a blue sky? 

Well, I guess we'll know soon enough if this is carrying forward into the DTG flight sim or not.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I'm wondering if the switch to the pbr rendering system is not flattering to current textures.

• Upvote 1

Devons rig

But I still can't understand it, and here's why. This same company makes a popular train sim where the sky color and clouds look realistic. Why would they make completely different "artistic decisions" about a flight sim than they would for their train sim? Isn't a blue sky a blue sky?

With all of the complaints and comments about it, and I don't think I've seen any positive comments on it, you would think someone at DTG would get the hint and "suggest" it be changed. :)

Ken

What we need least of all is an arrogant "artist" with weird ideas from Expressionism.   :Shame On You:  

Hello guys, sorry haven't been around these parts in a while.

I've no intentions of revisiting this, especially as they seem to have told Orbx the skies are deliberate.

I get the feeling someone saw Top Gun (massively over the top photo filters) and thought it looked 'cool'.

I did have a quick flight in the Diamond when it was released, just can't deal with those skies, I haven't touched it since.

Still looking forward to their main sim, although, if I see a hint of purple it will be staying on the Steam shelf.

Had to do a lot of searching through the forums to check the accuracy of my memory and paraphrasing, and the actual statement was "As for the cockpit shadows, they will be patched soon. The HDR hues/tones is a DTG internal creative decision and we've given DTG plenty of feedback about that so let's hope that they tweak it towards further realism."

Devons rig

They are changing the color of the trees, maybe they will look to the skies next, just keep giving feedback to them:

13717398_662344837275699_722900990706772